Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Data Graham posted:

This may be off-topic since it's more of a developer problem than an IT problem, but uughh I just have to vent somewhere

I built an inventory management system a couple of years ago for a small local boutique packaging company. They've been gradually moving their processes toward using it more and more, and I've been adding features as we go. Now they're finally at a stage where their incoming deliveries and outgoing shipments are all handled through the software and tracked so you can look at the history of every individual product and see what the quantity was after each transaction.

Since the early days there have been persistent issues with the quantity numbers not adding up. They'd open up the history for a product, trace all the incoming/outgoing transactions back from the current number to the beginning of time and find out that it doesn't add up to zero. I changed tactics several times, going back and forth between a "log the current quantity at the time of transaction" approach and a "just take the current number and calculate the historical numbers on the fly" approach, chasing software phantoms, the works. I told them that the only way I could see this happening was if someone was manually changing the quantity value, which naturally would screw up the historical counts. But they kept giving me the side-eye when I told them this.

Finally, a few months ago I added a global logging page that lets you see every event that changes the quantity for a given product, from what number to what number, along with the timestamp and the name of who did it. Immediately afterwards they emailed me asking me to look into a couple more discrepancies they'd found. "See," they said, "we took an incoming of 24 cases, but then we were doing reconciliation and found it comes out to only 22. Is there a glitch?"

I opened up the logs and sure enough, Joe the warehouse guy is in the logs manually changing 24 to 22, half an hour after taking an incoming of 24.

I told them this, and they said "ok thanks" and I never heard another word about it.

Until today. They sent me a flurry of new emails, with screenshots of the history showing a value of 239 that had mysteriously changed to 0, and a value of 67 that should have been 68, and then more emails with more discrepancies, all marked up with red screenshot circles and the strong implication that the software was glitching out and loving up their bookkeeping. "Also is there a way to get a search bar for the log page?"

I looked into each case. Every single one took five seconds to find the obvious glaring line where Joe had manually changed the quantity in inventory, resulting in exactly the discrepancy they're pointing out.

I'm writing back now, trying as delicately as I can to ask them whether they're, like, actually looking at the logs? Clearly they know about them because they're asking for more search features, but good lord you don't need them in order to see this. You click the little "Logs" link and up pops a window saying JOE CHANGED THE NUMBERS YOU FOOL.

Ugh now that I'm typing this out I'm realizing they probably aren't using the actual "Logs" link on the product itself (which filters to the product) and are instead launching the global log viewer which admittedly isn't very navigable so they probably can't figure out how to use it. But holy gently caress that link is in every single one of the marked-up screenshots they've inundated me with today

Anyway thanks for indulging me, this probably explains what happened

Tell them your going to implement block chain for accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Judge Schnoopy posted:

QoS that traffic to the lowest priority throughout the entire network. It will eat up idle bandwidth without running everything else.

100% this. You might give it more access during later hours if you get complaints and just have them leave their cams to upload overnight. This might be a KISS situation though

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

I actually tried this. Part of the computer replacement grant is that 70% of my time is to be spent on the grant. I thought that was wonderful since now I have an officially sanctioned time period to work on it and the director signed off on it so he can't bitch. So I set my office hours as 3-5 every day, the rest of the time was working on the grant.

Report yourself to the people who gave you the grant as being in violation of the contract because gently caress them they don't deserve the computers.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

To clear things up, we're a public residential school for 11th and 12th graders. We aren't a charter school, but it's the closest thing you could compare it to. We receive state funding and rely on donations from businesses and alumni to cover the rest. We are technically our own school district so we have creative titles for what normal districts would have, so, for example, our principal is the Director of Student Affairs and our superintendent is the Executive Director. It's all horseshit and

is a pretty accurate account of what will happen :shrug:

Anyways, I'm finding that there are several jobs located about 30 minutes away that I am either way overqualified for that don't pay nearly enough for me to survive, or they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions." The jobs that pay more than what I'm making are director and coordinator positions, but none in my field.

Also I really need to start familiarizing myself with Oracle.

Just say No to Oracle and apply to the insane requirements jobs. I bet it’s not really that insane.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think there is a Nextel app you can get that mimics functionality.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BRB gotta rehide my stash now that you’ve exposed my master plan.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Old lovely inherited rack inside an office, loud as poo poo and at full capacity.

My handiwork in a shiny new locked cabinet behind the front desk.

The cabinet is settled into a recess that used to house power equipment from the 70s. There is a nice 10 foot brain stem leading to the patch panel on the wall. The whole cabinet wheels out 6 feet to allow easy access to the recess / back of cabinet.

gently caress you awful networking, get the gently caress out of here!

Do I get fries with that?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

At a data center I worked out the DR plan was “dissolve the company” in contracts and people signed that poo poo.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bunni-kat posted:

What the gently caress thread did I wander in to?

Noiiiiccceeeee

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Good news everybody. We’re probably signing a deal with a customer where “essential Infrastructure” staff will need a non-Prod AND Prod only Laptop for accessing our AWS and Application. Uh ok I’ll take two MacBooks my dudes but wtf that seems silly. Al the other teams are getting a “community MacBook”

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ConfusedUs posted:

I once helped nasa solve a backup issue with a system on the ISS.

They were using a disk with 4K physical sectors on an OS that didn’t support it. It was causing VSS to freak out and fail randomly and intermittently.

The astronauts swapped a few drives around between systems and requisitioned a new one.

So there is a hard drive in space because of me.

I’m already on the space force.

Thank you for your service.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fuckin’ healthcare.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Watch where you are pointing those guns PJ

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

tactlessbastard posted:

I get three weeks but quite frankly I have no idea how I could possibly take them this place would fall apart without me

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed. If that’s the case something needs fixed and that’s not your fault. Take your loving vacation.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The forums are unblocked at my work! I think a Goon started in IT. Bless you Goon IT person.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

tactlessbastard posted:

I was being a little facetious but we are growing so fast there's just so drat much to do. We're almost to the top of the mountain and I have a good feeling about where we are heading. I think we're about 6 months away from reaching some stability but if I peaced out for a week it would take longer in the end.

I console myself with the 20% year end bonus we just landed.

I’ll pour one out for you on the beach as I take a vacation even though I’m drowning in work. If I don’t take this vacation I might breakdown though. Goonspeed.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Weatherman posted:

I had it mentioned this evening that infrastructure is a cost centre unlike those SalesForce wizards who generate revenue.

Motherfuckers, you try generating all that revenue when you're back to using notepads, pencils and calculators because all the infrastructure has been thrown into cleansing fire by unappreciated engineers t:mad:

This belongs in the poo poo that pisses me off thread

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

So many questions:

What were they doing giving a second day employee elevated access?

more importantly we provide so many means for customers to protection themselves 1. MFA on delete, 2. CRR, 3. Versioning. 4. Lifecycle policies. etc. Why weren’t any of these in place?

Holy poo poo. I feel like a company giving that many user Riggs day two will not have a blameless RCA for everyone to learn from this....

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

Please don't dox me

We know it’s not you because their article implies IT has more than one person on the team

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Chat is a scourge upon the workplace. People expecting instant responses are the worst. Even worse is the group known as the “hi” people. All of the chat options are just varying degrees of bad. Just like antivirus

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in. "Setup Dual Monitors for $User". Directly assigned to me by another Service Desk tech. All right then, no big deal, even though $othertech has a bad habit of assigning poo poo to me with no notification or enough information in the ticket.

Open the ticket and check the ticket details. "Setup Dual Monitors for $user". A completed task from $othertech with 10 minutes on it. God. Damnit. $othertech.

So I email $othertech, "Hey, do you have more information on this ticket? Do they already have a monitor they need set up, do they need us to provide them a monitor, did a purchase order for monitors go through and they need to be deployed?"

$othertech responds, "They have their own monitor. They need help setting up a second to dual monitor. Please feel free to contact the user for more details; the ticket has requested information." I check the ticket - ain't poo poo up ins. Nothing has changed.

:mad:

I reply to $othertech, and CC $supervisor, "Who has the monitor that needs to be set up? I should not need to track down $user and ask them to fill me in on what they need when they have already contacted us with that information."

$othertech responds, "They want to have $user helped to setups their second monitor as dual. Contact $user directly for more details, if you're confused and need more info - that's why we have email/phone available for all staff to communicate."

Before I can reply and ask why the gently caress $othertech is being such a lazy poo poo and refusing to provide me the information I need to do the work, $supervisor chimes in:

:boom:

Hnnnnnggggggggg

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of security, ughh I hate that "cyber" now universally means "security"

"Aw drat, our internal app is getting audited by the Cyber Team"

etc

F/16/FL wanna talk more about my cyber audit?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Crypto your job tia

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rule # 1 is “Always get the money first”

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just repeat every email as suspicious from Vice President up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thread title so good:

IT sent an e-mail posted:

IT Update: Zoom Meetings & Webinars to Require Passwords for Added Security
Thursday, April 9th

All newly created meetings/webinars will automatically have passwords created, encrypted and embedded into the links and invites. At this time no action is required for participants joining meetings created prior to April 9th. Audio only (dial-in) users will need to enter a password before joining any newly created meetings.