Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Scene: EIKRE and ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR sit in office at 9:00 in the morning. ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR is on a call with C-LEVEL WITH WHOM EIKRE HAS A POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP, which was in progress since before EIKRE arrived. The office is absolutely silent except for the telephone conversation, which resounds with perfect clarity immediately next to EIKRE's loving face as he sits at his own goddamned desk, and not in, for example, one of the three other empty rooms in the suite that have closing doors.

C-LEVEL [jovial tone]: "Blah blah blah. Do us a favor and bitch-slap EIKRE!"

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Ho-kay, boss! Will do!" ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR hangs up.

EIKRE swivels in chair, with few clues as to why he is slated for bitch-slapping, but gesturing to his cheek and leaning forward in submission.

EIKRE: "Alright, put it right here, we can start the day right by immediately completing a task."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Why are you eavesdropping on my calls? There is a real problem with your professional conduct."

EIKRE: "I mean I wasn't, but then I was specifically mentioned by name."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Maybe if I was on a speakerphone then you could find a polite way to ask me about something you heard, but I was not, and this was extremely rude. You shouldn't have said anything."

Oh, of course, my bad. That wasn't a joke that I could get in on to certify it as perfectly inoffensive and maybe use as the segue to rectify some underlying grievance, if indeed it existed. It was actually an invocation of vulgarity and an explicit directive (via communique on corporate equipment between upper and middle management) to conduct a physical assault on me, simultaneously uttered behind my back and brazenly right in front of me, but for which I will be rebuked for addressing. Looking at this through the lens of "professionalism" really put it all in perspective, boss; in the future, I'll strain to comport myself with such mindfulness. I hope you can forgive me for poising such a hostile workplace, what with my eavesdropping and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh poo poo I thought this was the poo poo That Pisses You Off thread, before.

Arquinsiel posted:

Che Delilas posted:

You may or may not be aware of this, so I'll point it out regardless: staying in the environment you're describing will do serious damage to your mental state over time. Your supervisor is actively harming you and should be considered your enemy, there is no saving this place, get out.

Unless the relationship with the C-level is REALLY good and strings could be pulled...

Yeah, it's this. C-Level is incorruptible and would not enable an internecine conflict (not that I would ever be inclined to it, anyway), but there's a significant backstop on meaningful retaliation as long as I just come in to work on time and filled out the activity reports.

The honest truth is that everything is fine. I do have a few reasons to be sympathetic to Supervisor, and I myself have been perceptibly sullen in the wake of a few strung-together disagreements, so I suspect our microaggressions towards each other have been roughly equitable. Personally, that makes reconciliation much easier. Occasionally poor temperament notwithstanding, I boast a certain genius for dragging friendships out of the poor fuckers who get locked in the same room as me for long enough, and I think I've got this person's idiom mostly worked out. We set a daily appointment to touch base in a five-minute phone call, for instance, regardless of whether we've advanced the status quo; There was one last trap that they had lain for me in it* but otherwise it's done plenty to keep their expectations clearly articulated and feeling attended to. They are greatly mollified and I haven't committed to any lack of self-respect.

*(they let me go a week calling them on their extension rather than dialing into a conference line using a number they left as a comment in a perfunctory Outlook event, and then they trotted this out as an example of my lack of compliance. They were giving me the opportunity to see correct myself, you see, and in any event, they don't have time to hold my hand through every individual thing. Not that this was a completely purposeless specification that I had absolutely no reason to go back and check or which they could have mentioned off-hand on the first day I called the arbitrarily incorrect number, or anything.)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Reminds me of that image of "alternative fuses" that includes ammunition, retaining clips, and a wrench.

https://twitter.com/kevinneubauer/status/1112865927610064897

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They should have included an actual fuse and annotated it "(Deprecated)".

Eikre
May 2, 2009
"Customers?"

Are you working for an MSP, because if you're internal IT, anything other than "colleague" is loving unacceptable.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I agree 100%. But I have faith. The motherboard on that PC died last week and manufacturing got a replacement from ebay, swapped the CPU, and got it all up and running without any IT involvement. I was impressed.

Find the kid who did that and put him in on the professional courtesy loop. He might come in clutch again. Or he might go cowboy someday and gently caress something up. You'll prefer to know him, either way.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Might there be a trick like this for removing password from a zip file?

No, the password protection on a ZIP file is just the mutual password of each of the files it contains, which are actually encrypted in AES-CBC. But you can open that container to list the files it contains and replace them without knowing that password. And I suppose if you actually have several smaller documents and you can start making guesses at what the data looks like based on file extensions, it may actually be cryptographically feasible to break that encryption outright. Not something I would spend time on, but maybe someone already published some rainbow tables.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Or just reciprocate with the same honorifics.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

No tickets (Zendesk), no phone calls (Talkdesk), no shitposting (SA, Discord). The hell else are you supposed to do? :mad:

Prowl the watercooler and sow sentiments of trade-unionism.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

User with that cracked hinge gets a pass. Laptops can be some really brittle piles of garbage these days; it's some poo poo That Pisses Me Off. I really hoped that economy of scale and the fact that they've had the same form factor for twenty years would have solved the problem even after they started making them for down-market sale but half the machines I see seem to be skating by on the expectation that you never actually, like, bring them anywhere.

That Slack cancelation has me empathetically incensed, too. I haven't been saddled with Teams yet but I've had to use the outlook365 website and it blows. Everything is so big for the sake of touchacreens, so the information density is cut to a third, and some of their elementary composition choices seem like a backslide in immediate clarity compared to software from 1998. I'll learn whatever tool or technology anyone wants me to and comfortably endure the requisite stupid-rear end design decisions, but when it's one of those extremely basic, principal information portals and there's no room to customize or automate it to get my hands around it, then it just filters my whole world through a cognitive haze for eight hours a day.

I don't know, maybe I'm low-key dyslexic or something.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Or the excellent Modern experience of Sharepoint where basically two-thirds of the features vanish because even though there is already a programmed GUI for them Microsoft wants you to transition into using Powershell, which you will because it's much better than dealing with their web programmers.

My favourite part is the Modern Sharepoint Form experience, where for no apparent reason a multi-line textbox input requires a loving modal pop-in to edit on the desktop because it has to be the same as it would be on a mobile or users would get confused.

I was interested in Sharepoint a little bit ago because management is keen on it and it seemed like I could consolidate a bunch of janky-rear end bespoke forms and tools that we use for workflow right now; I figured "okay, I've heard it's lovely, but windows 10 is lovely in a way I can tolerate just fine, and I do hate that outlook experience but I've also been spoiled by twenty years of superior IMAP clients, plus I understand that powershell is a big thing with it and the whole point is that it's customizable so if I'm in on the ground floor then..."

and then somebody showed me a site that they had hacked together as a proof of concept but that they were very proud of; it had about ten lines of information per 1080p screen and that loving text box that took perceptible fractions of a second to load popped in and I got a pain my chest that I haven't felt since that time my girlfriend determined she was a lesbian.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Write an autohotkey script to type poo poo into fields and made screenshots each time.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

Pressing Ctrl-C didn't cancel the process?

Why would an eight-year-old seated at baby's first command line know an interrupt keystroke?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Basically, instead of passing the plug under the furniture to pass through the loop, he passed the loop under the furniture be passed through by the plug.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Unless it's something you can only configure via some kind of front panel that's 100% isolated from any network interface or admin page, it would still be worthless, since by the time they're actively loving with the backup server and services, they likely have a domain admin account to play with.

I will gun for SSO on literally anything else, but the very meaning of the word "backup," to me, is that it's a sovereign system and your domain administration can go gently caress itself. Yeah, the syatem should in some way know what all the directory credentials are, but those are just the "please" and "thank you" when somebody politely asks it to store data or give it back; that's just to keep the users out of each other's business. The real words of power are a random 20-character string that you keep in a fireproof safe, and they're only heard when you speak them as close to the metal as your administrative profile makes feasible.

(Not to contradict anything you said; your virtual write-once tape library would certainly conform to the principle.)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I left that on but turned off automatically-mark-as-read.

Clever, but I don't know if it works in Exchange/O365. I've noticed that when I pull down my messages with Thunderbird and keep them marked unread but then subsequently log into the O365 webclient (or visa versa), those emails won't prompt a read receipt request on the second platform.

I imagine Exchange tracks "low-key: we know that this message has been accessed" in addition to "marked read or unread by arbitrary user decisions."

I'm wondering how it interacts with exchange policies that silently force automatic read receipts on intradomain emails. I suspect one of our executives has such a policy running for their benefit, because I don't get send-receipt prompts on any messages from them in O365, but the disposition-notice request is always in the headers and I see the prompts in Thunderbird. Also, they sent a reply email quoting a receipt from me, one time, and I'm drat skippy I didn't deliberately send one to them. Question is: do they get the receipts when an IMAP client pulls the message, or only when I actually mark it as read or O365 certifies that the email has indeed been displayed in it's environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Kurieg posted:

When we had a mandatory phishing awareness thing a few months ago we noticed that all the things they described as red flags for an email also applied to the e-mail that was sent out telling us to do the training. Mostly because HR told us that it'd be coming over 2 months before the training actually happened.

If an employee forwards it to IT with the annotation "hey everyone got one of these suspicious looking emails and it looks like a phishing attempt, I told the other people in my cube not to touch it until I heard back from you" then they should be considered to have successfully tested out of the course for full credit.