Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

When I worked in local government I went to a public meeting to act as the technical details nerd for questions about a p2p microwave network project to extend broadband coverage to remote county locations.

We spent two hours or so explaining how these were not govt mind control ray emitters and how they do not cause headaches or cancer in people living 50 miles from a highly directional transceiver on a mountain.

Wireless crazies own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Category: Other

Is there any kind of tilt switch in the Server equipment? We are going to lift one side of the server cabinets being very careful with the cabling, so the flooring can be installed under these cabinets later today

at least he asked i guess

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

mewse posted:

Eh I'm sure they have enough expertise to ensure the entire thing doesn't tip over, proven by the fact that they're asking if it would be OK to tip it

It's a bunch of electricians/millwrights along with some contractors at a manufacturing plant redoing the office area and the messed up floor along with it. The server room lives in this general neighborhood.

They are going to jack it up and rig something so it hopefully doesn't fall and crush someone to death. It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off so we aren't tipping live disk arrays. Can just hope they don't drop poo poo or tip it beyond the agreed upon 15ish degrees. Disk failure rates are super awesome once you start operating at a steep angle.

These same folks moved the ATT demarc box a few weeks ago in spite of all of the warning stickers that said do not open do not touch and hosed all the fiber up until it got re-terminated, so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 8, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

:thunk:

An unplanned failure is soooo much better than planned downtime apparently

I already checked my offsite backups and did a fresh test restore.

And I gave my caution note via email specifically so if they blow it up I don't have to play finger pointing game with them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

My favorite part about this pic is how the cabinet in the foreground has taken a bite out of the desk as it fell. Glad no one was nearby...

Loaded racks can and have killed people before by falling on them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

The only appropriate response is "No you're loving not, sunshine."

guppy posted:

So you already have evidence that they don't know what they're doing. Do not allow them to do a thing that a. will probably gently caress up your equipment and b. will push the equipment failure down the road so they can't be provably at fault.

Electricians should be far, far away from data. I watched an electrician try to tip fiber once and it was like watching a bear try to knit.

Plant managers in this company have a fair bit of leeway to make those kind of calls if they want to for things at their own plant.

However after getting safety involved they put a hard stop to the whole thing so crisis averted.

Most of my onsite dotted line guys are electricians. They aren't that bad usually if you can keep them away from fiber... which is hard. There are some rogue fusion splicers around and I have at least gotten it so if they emergency repair something, we get someone in after during a shutdown to test out and likely reterminate. On average they are content to not bother with my poo poo as long as it works and they don't have to. They have better things to do and don't want to connect to the UCS or some complex switch configuration unless they absolutely must.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

For sure just saying "yeah" to dumb questions to make them stop wasting your time can bite you in the rear end if they come back two years later with your email and go "SEE THE I.T. MAN SAID THE CISCO SCANS FOR VIRUSES! IT'S HIS FAULT"

and then you're fired for a dumb as hell reason

Jaded Burnout posted:

Phrase it better. "I can confirm we scan for viruses weekly". Make true statements an let them put the word "cisco" in there.

Is a better answer that doesn't expose you to future stupidity.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why did you not talk to them?

:spergin:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

You know who else is having a fun day?

An engineer having his second day on the job just deleted a production S3 bucket for a customer of mine.

A ticket comes in: is there any way for you to recover this bucket?

Me: nope

Versioning isn't on?

edit: oh lmao he deleted the entire bucket. I disable that at the policy level

http://awspolicygen.s3.amazonaws.com/policygen.html

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

So many questions:

What were they doing giving a second day employee elevated access?

more importantly we provide so many means for customers to protection themselves 1. MFA on delete, 2. CRR, 3. Versioning. 4. Lifecycle policies. etc. Why weren’t any of these in place?

You know the answer.

:effort:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

nullfunction posted:

My (now) wife was shocked that I didn't own a printer when we met. I explained to her why I don't have one and told her that if she wanted a printer in the house, that she was welcome to get one but I wouldn't support it in any way.

We still don't have a printer.

I had this exact same conversation but she did actually buy a printer that mostly collects dust on top of my desk. It's used so infrequently that half the time when she tries to print some random rear end thing the heads are dried up.

I did admittedly show her how to clean the heads and try to recover the cartridge but other than that one time I haven't touched the loving thing and never will

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ilkhan posted:

This is why laser printers exist. And are better.

I think it was a craigslist special for like :10bux: and I was intentionally not part of the printer selection process beyond saying "we don't need a printer"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Entropic posted:

HP laserjets used to be indestructible. The laser jet IIIs and 5s from the mid 90s were built like tanks, and a lot of them are still running today.

There is a laser jet 5 sitting on a table at a biomass power plant i support (I don't support the printer, the plant). That loving thing is filled with conductive ash and all kinds of poo poo and the outside looks like it was thrown down a burning mountainside. I have seen them "service" it by having a guy come over to blow it out with compressed air.

Still works and the local guy just installs a maintenance kit from time to time.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

They are missing the shared storage component.

But the trash can was a great touch.

I assume it's hyperconverged so the hypervisors are doing all the things.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

It's time to throw them under the bus. Get management involved.

It's this

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Zero sympathy for anybody who ends up getting shitcanned over this. Do your loving jobs, the request was more than reasonable.

Yeah this is absolutely deserved. If something safety related is hosed up in an industrial setting that is absolutely fixed right loving now

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kensei posted:

:lol:

I know the answer is nope. It's going to be a "Just make it work" situation.

"Not technically feasible with the given budget. If you think I'm lying fire me and hire someone you trust."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

evobatman posted:

We had an... incident yesterday where absolutely everything went down.

Here is the summary by the guy who did it, google translated and edited for clarity:

Doing extremely dumb changes during production, but poetically.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

To be fair, the average printer driver bundle is now 2TB in size.

Love to download gigs of data to go fish for the couple kb file that I actually wanted.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Our helpdesk's present "fix all the things" is to run gpupdate and escalate when that doesn't do anything.

i love it when people troubleshooting method is basically doing religious incantations at the heretical machine. if their list of prayer commands does not work then the Mystery must be escalated to senior priesthood

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

taqueso posted:

I think it's the fake butter that gives you cancer not the bag.

You can find micro plastic fibers in rain drops and fresh snow and all of it slowly breaks down into carcinogenic components. Everything causes cancer who cares enjoy the synthetic popcorn butter hail the popcorn button and hail satan

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

waiting for announcement to welcome our new security architect, Mitch.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm New Folder (8)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

y'all need split tunnel

blocking websites at work is all fine and good I suppose but it always seems draconian to me

If you absolutely must filter client web poo poo you can do it with a software agent of some variety or just split tunnel with forced application access through VDI so you can keep em in the sandbox. Tunneling idiot Facebook crap and YouTube videos seems silly

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Even my rightfully paranoid job gave up on forcing all traffic down the VPN right before the pandemic hit, thank gently caress. That would have crippled us.

Fortunately it’s like 4 lines at the anyconnect/whatever head end to undo this silliness. This was the policy at my previous job which instantly changed when COVID started and the company was maxing out the VPN circuits about a week into the initial shutdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It always annoys the poo poo out of me when they take a perfectly good thing like the snipping tool and make a new version with a random assortment of features instead of just updating the one that works already that most of the user base is familiar with.

I use shutter currently and just snip stuff from my VDI instead of using snipping tool anymore.