Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The new thread project is live!

And with only one critical feature missing, the PM team can pat each other on the back and go out to celebrate on the company dime.

The people who participated in creating the thread can't come because they're busy firefighting and applying manual workarounds to make up for the missing features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Then what's the point of the cloud service?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make it so any inventory change results in an transaction being booked as "inventory adjustment" and sent up the order chain for approval.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

My mother in law refuses to go straight to any website. She'll Google the company she's looking for, and after that will look for the browser history link to that Google search.
My mom doesn't use the location or search bar at all. She accesses the 5-6 sites she uses through bookmarks, and if she needs to go to an unfamiliar site she'll ask my father to "install" (i.e bookmark) it for her.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ServiceNow suffers from the same problem so many other highly customizable software suites do: It absolutely needs to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing, and in a larger organization you probably want someone managing it full time.

But it's usually sold as a solution to all your problems installed with default settings and left unmaintained, unloved and largely unusable, which gives the product a reputation for being lovely and too complex because it hasn't been trimmed down to your specific needs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're buying lovely cables you only have yourself to blame.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Truga posted:

The rs232<->rj45 cable (rather than just a dongle) is still shipped with every cisco ever IIRC.
I bought a couple of USB->RJ45 serial cables off eBay on the recommendation of a goon several years ago.

It's really just a FTDI chip built into the plug, but it's still nice to have it as a single unit rather than a USB->DB9->DB9->RJ45 adapter chain.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yes let's have a screen that allows an operator to spread panic through the entire state with a single click, and where the test options are mere pixels away. Brilliant design.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Entropic posted the tweet which showed the actual screen earlier. It's really not much better than the parody.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No worries, the government is working on restoring faith in the nuclear alert system

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Then he gets called in to his boss and asked to explain why he's not being service minded.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I had 2 stepchildren at the time, and now I also have a foster daughter. I had to move my wife, my children, and my dog 1,800 miles away from my immediate family to make a better life for ourselves. It was an incredibly hard decision for me to make, but in the end, it worked out.
If larches moves his kids aren't moving with him, that's the core of the problem. He's stuck in poo poo Creek unless he wants to give up regular contact with his kids.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Re: The web filter, what are your filtering requirements from higher up, and do they check them?

If you can get away with it, just open the filter up. Change it to default allow, blacklist known trouble sites, disable SSL inspection and get the students off your back.

Really, forcing people to open themselves up to MITM attacks is a terrible idea from the start and I can understand why they're upset about it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 22, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I know what a database is and I know how to finagle some ugly code to get the data I want out of it, but that's about it.
Just from those two points you're more qualified than the majority of people who applied for a DBA position with us.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"
You have the correct answer to that in your title.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody wants to sit by the 'cancer box'. So they'll unplug it and think we won't know.
Put it above the ceiling. Out of sight out of mind.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

2" patch cables seems like they're not very useful.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The most important thing is never to route cables across devices. So if you have devices A, B, C you should route cables between A and C so that you can still remove B without having to disconnect anything else.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Get a big scary looking helical antenna and point it straight at their desk.

e: Refresh before posting. Though I'd recommend something with an exposed coil, like this:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Welcome to pod life my friendo

you deserve it!
Working at a bank isn't necessarily pod life, but it generally pays well and can be comfortable if you can stand (or aren't exposed to) regulatory bullshit.

Either way it's a nice step up from printers, so congrats!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I heard the smuggest condescending laughter in a professional setting ever "uhhh so WAIT, your saying its NOT encrypted???"
Are you one of our outsourcing partners?

We're in the process of deploying a web portal where customers will enter some information which will be put in an XML message and sent into our integration platform, and our "security" department is riding our rear end about sensitive information and how it has to be encrypted ALL the way. The client connection is https of course, and so is the connection between the web server and the ESB. Nothing is stored on the web server's file system, but they argue that because the information is unencrypted in the web server's memory it's completely insecure.

This is the same security department who approved some random non-IT dude's (accidental) request for Domain Admin rights without questioning. Fortunately another team caught it and nixed the request before it could be fulfilled.

:ughh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, it's stupid, but in all fairness it's barely been a month since a vulnerability that granted arbitrary access to the contents of a server's memory was widely publicised.
True, but I argue that if you're in a position to exploit that it wouldn't matter what measures we take because the server is owned anyway.

I'm not sure what you could do to satisfy them, is it even possible to keep the information encrypted in memory in a way that is not immediately defeated by someone who has potential full access to all memory content?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"The NSA is short staffed"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr Robot is great. It's one of the few series I've seen in a long time where I haven't been able to predict the plot reveals.

The big plot twist in Season 1 was such an "oh poo poo it all makes sense now" moment.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

guppy posted:

One of my favorite things about it is that, in S1 at least, each episode title had a different file extension, all of which were for standard video formats (.avi, .mp4, etc.)
In Season 2 the episode names are various encrypted files. Season 3 doesn't have a similar theme, but the season finale is called "shutdown -r".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What we're saying is that everyone who hasn't seen it should go binge watch Mr Robot right now because it's really good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks to Punycode you can have pretty much any character you want in a domain name.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.
https://i.imgur.com/JAwDYwV.gifv

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.
Planning sounds like a management task. Throw it right back at him.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The TeasMaid has to be the most :britain: invention ever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Could one of you at least point me in the direction of a good Powershell starter? This is nothing official, just a task I like to do every so often. I already know the commands, and have just been abusing the persistent scroll back buffer. I just need to know what basic structural stuff a Powershell script needs.
Powershell in a month of lunches is a great book if you're looking for proper study material.

There's also http://powershelltutorial.net/ which is a bit dated (it still says Powershell 4 is coming soon. Powershell 6 came out in January this year) but is still decent for learning the basics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

If I had to troubleshoot someone else's script, I'd prefer the foreach. Just helps make the logic that much more legible. If I'm slapping together that I'm going to use once or nobody else will need to see, I'll pass the array.
I prefer foreach loops as well, because it makes it easier to expand the script if you need to run another command on the same list at the same time.

And we're not using punch cards any more, if your script is 100 bytes or 1000 bytes is completely irrelevant, expand those loops for readability.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

Everyone in Europe laughs at UK

Edit: gently caress. Refresh before posting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

One of our helpdesk people called me to come help with an Exchange error earlier today: He couldn't make a new contact, and exchange kindly told him that "names can't start or end with a blank" right in the web interface with a little speech bubble next to the field. At least he had the decency to slap his own forehead when I read the error out loud and deleted the trailing space.
Honestly it should just silently strip any leading or trailing whitespace and not burden the user with unnecessary errors like that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volguus posted:

loving, Austria is always a lovely place. No, they won't change the name. Yes, they do know what it means in English.
Coincidentally, it's only a few hours away from the German towns of Kissing and Petting too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kickstarter is just monetized scope creep.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Weatherman posted:

:stonk:

Why... why would you say something like that? I'm not going to sleep tonight.
iSCSI over PPPoE over WiFi.

For security reasons. :unsmigghh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I went to a pre-sales meeting and we got a bill for the project managers time and a line item for the soda I drank. They were trying to sell us on a project. We did not go with them.
I will never understand the mentality behind poo poo like this. Even if they had the best product a stunt like that would make me tell them to gently caress off.

I bet it has its root in an owner that demands 100% of time be billable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Should have counterbilled them for your time at the same rate, and add in $5 for travel expenses.