Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I turn auto correction off and just use the word suggestion bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Had in interview where my anxiety issues around phones came up, and one of the interviewers just nodded and commented that it was common call center PTSD.
Not call center per se, but my first job in the 90s was as support/admin for a rickety web host. poo poo would constantly break and angry customers would call and scream at us.

It took me many years to get rid of feeling intense discomfort and anxiety whenever the phone rang.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to start using the Delisle scale for temperature.

Summer was nice this year, it's been down to 105 degrees for all of July. Not looking forward to 160 degree winters though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, that's a fun concept to explain. Technically we have the ability to touch everything, but ethically we don't unless there's a specific business need or permission is given.
"Why would I want to read your email? I don't even read my own."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a small portable app called MouseJiggler that imperceptibly shifts the mouse pointer a few pixels and back every x seconds. I've used it for years because I don't like enforced screensaver timeouts.

https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=mousejiggler

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any reason not to just go with firstname.lastname? Why do people come up with these convoluted abbreviation schemes?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Usernames I can understand, especially if you have to deal with lovely old systems, but people were talking about email addresses.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

As far as major outages go...

Cut off an entire floor's network access by fatfingering a trunk command on a switch stack, which also dropped my own remote access to the switch stack and forced me to barge in on a board meeting with a laptop and serial cable. (the network closet for that floor was attached to the biggest meeting room)

Nuked a production database because our test and prod environments weren't airgapped and it wasn't obvious that you could accidentally connect to the prod database from the test app server. Fortunately it had locally stored backups and was restored within an hour with no data loss.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People who are too lazy and/or incompetent to define granular permissions and demand that their lovely service account be given full admin privileges are my favorite people to shoot down.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phoenix Project is about a devops preacher self-fellating and everyone standing up and clapping for him.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, it sounds like a pretty awful interview tbh. Standard MSP stuff. Glad you're switching jobs, but don't plan on being there forever. Use it as a stepping stone to something better.
Some times you have people insisting to do the technical interview who has no business doing technical interviews, and the actual work might be much better (or much worse).

Also after taking a look at the code behind my current client's dumpster fire of an in-house application I'm getting more and more convinced that a lot of people in our field are still in the "fake it" phase.

They failed to build it so front end, middleware and database nodes can self-recover so if any part of the system restarts, everything needs to be manually reconnected. Front end clustering doesn't work so the client is demanding 100% 24/7 uptime from the single front end node. I'm very glad I have nothing to do with that clusterfuck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Motherfuckers. 30 days notice required to cash out my 5.2 days of PTO.
Remember that a notice period and handover is a courtesy. Sounds like it's time for some negotiation where you have all the cards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

☃.com exists but unfortunately it's squatted on.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm surprised that more people don't start a collection to pay someone to shank managers like that in the parking lot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

I just got a request to install Real Player.
"Unfortunately I can't fulfill this request as I do not have the necessary tools to travel back in time to when RealPlayer was last relevant."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Upcharging someone 100% for materials is a scam in itself, but the person could probably have kept doing it and made a lot more money than the $70 they got away with here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I am so happy that my current employer just does not bother with timesheets.
Same. I only need to let my boss know if I've been taking any days off. It's very liberating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I started my current contract I asked my boss how he wanted time reported and he just replied "Just let me know when you take days off. Otherwise I assume you're an adult who can manage their own time."

He's a good boss.