Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Please restore my post history from the previous threat into this thread or kindly revert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have gigabit docsis. It's 1000/50, they'll be able to raise the upload once they've kicked analog radio off the cable.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Could y'all knock it off? It's a lot of scrolling for no reason.

your avatar is long than

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Motronic, buddy, you're usually right on but in this case you seem to be taking the wrong view for some weird reason. No one's disputing (or should be disputing) that getting fiber to every last corner of the US will take an absurd shitload of money and it probably does NOT make sense to put in the money to get 10 gig to bumfuck Wyoming. But it's quite clear that the US telco oligopoly has done its best to extract every last dime of profit out of the American consumer, which means providing the absolute minimum they can get away with in every area and doing their best to prevent any ideas or attempts to treat Internet infrastructure as the public utility it is. Notwithstanding the billions and billions of dollars we as American taxpayers have given the telcos to upgrade services which they then just pocketed (the $200 billion in 1996 being one of the most egregious), or the myriad of lawsuits the telcos have filed against every single municipality that's ever floated the idea of municipal fiber (usually with the absurd claim that it would be "unfair competition" to them), the biggest argument against your statements is that every other modern Western country HAS this in major urban areas, and if it WERE just about geography, we would have fiber to the home by now in our dense municipal areas. Sure, we have SOME fiber, in SOME areas, but there's a whole lotta big cities where fiber either isn't available at all or is available only in certain neighborhoods. Friend of mine lives in Silicon Valley right near Google - does he have fiber? Nope! In a dense area with 10 million residents and one of the bigger cities in the US (San Jose, not SF, SF is actually quite small), where the average income is in the 6 digits, you can't loving get fiber to your house, because there's no competition and no one is offering it.

The bigger issue that some have touched on is that competition can't actually happen without the lines themselves being treated as a resource for all, so in a country that claims to worship the free market, we have one of the least free markets on Earth when it comes to telecommunications. Claiming that this is somehow only because of geography is absurd. You claim that if it would be commercially viable someone would do it - I mean, yes, that's technically true, but it's NOT commercially viable. That's the whole point - it's only commercially viable for the company that owns the lines to your house (Comcast for most Americans), and they have absolutely zero incentive to spend money improving their infrastructure when they can continue to charge $100/month for 50 megabits down and 5 up, plus hitting you for a $30/mo charge for DARING to download more than 1.2 TB a month - after all, if you make those routers work harder they need replacing earlier, right? Router maintenance isn't cheap! They just announced they'll be rolling that charge out in more markets, i.e. they've successfully boiled the frog in a couple markets and it's time to turn up the gas on the rest. CEO needs his bonus after all.

:capitalism:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Trying to assist my FIL getting his laptop back online after their wifi poo poo the bed for a bit via text.

Me: Send me a picture of the bottom right of the screen (where the WiFi indicator should be).
<time passes>

Text from my MIL: A picture of my FIL's phone screen.

Things like these is why I endlessly appreciate technical writers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've had good experiences with Dmarcian (both their product and their consultancy).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lament.cfg posted:

Emails to one person get no salutation

Emails to 2+ get “All,”

that's "Dr. All," to you

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

just lol if you have any notifications turned on. if it's important, it'll come through pagerduty, anything else can wait until i'm in the mood to read it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"well at least rms isn't as bad as reiser!!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh don't worry we're already doing Scaled Agile Framework.

trigger warning please

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

we are a hosting company, and do not proactively update customer sites, tho we do send out notices.

the recent exploits appear to be making sure I have plenty of practice with drush and composer!

I'd honestly start updating my resume at this point. You're about go get a load of poo poo with no way to shovel it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe in a country with enforceable labour laws, lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Our conference room tables have screens inside the table underneath the glass. It looks cool and nobody ever uses it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

posting on the magic smoke page

i think in general you can just run `shutdown -a` and it'll cancel the shutdown, though i guess it'll pop up again the next time intune or whatever checks in

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Goodbye helpdesk :yotj:

:yotj: Congrats!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

None of Your Concern by Larchesdanrew

Absolutely not teasing. It's basically just going to be a collection of my posts from these threads.

Also the last 2% of it will be a garbled mess.

This is entrapment and you know it. Shut up and take my money.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weedle posted:

yeah ol john knew a thing or two about pump-and-dumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQmhwhBcEk

belongs in the more poo poo that pisses you off thread

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Resume and cover letter have been sent!

:yotj:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › [SPAM] FW: RE: my last job kind of sucked and I only realized this after I left it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can get surgery to never be able to see a screen ever again? Where do I sign up?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larches painting the server room with the blood of the foreman, we love to see it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine caring about naming things

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WIRE INTO ITS SOCKET. ITS CAT5E AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START PUNCHING DOWN THE WIRES WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE COLOR GUIDE THING. I PUNCH EVERY WIRE AND I PUNCH IT DOWN HARD. MAKING MODEM NOISES WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME CROSSTALK OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP THE COLOR ORDER. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY'VE MADE THE GALAXY'S MOST INEPT PATCH PANEL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY POD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY POD CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THATS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN. 2 HOURS INCLUDING PUNCHDOWN EVERY MORNING.

THEN I LIFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

lol Rackspace's hosted Exchange is still down

Fanatical Support