Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Just interviewed for a problem management analyst role.
Here's hoping i get it, i could do with the 7k payrise, and not being attached to a deskphone anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

F6?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

2 weeks after my Interview for the Problem Management Analyst job, they're still doing interviews, because they started them before the closing date on the job board. (Because one of the hirers happened to be on site that week.)

The last couple interviews were supposed to be today, maybe tomorrow. but I just heard from a colleague who applied for it (who should have no chance next to me, but we'll see how much he bullshits) that his interview got postponed till monday as the managers got called into a short-notice meeting.

So I have yet another week of worrying about if I did enough to get off the service desk before I hear back.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tom Scott did a short video about it, if you care about seeing a grown man holding a TeasMaid, and don't want to read a couple hundred words because your eyes are lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij-JjzCa7o

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Conference call added to my diary this morning.

I'm on a service desk, customer facing.
There was a new product becoming part of our remit, with an existing customer moving from their old service desk to us.

Apparently we had an MI while I was on leave, and this was some kind of a washup situation where our internal resolver had been tasked with finding improvements due to the MI taking forever to get resolved.

On the call, the rep from our internal resolver didn't seem to want to talk about the incident in question and it's failings, and instead talk in general about issues they've seen when talking to us and other desks supporting the same product.

One of my colleagues on the call spotted in an email on screen while the resolver rep was screen sharing that the primary concern raised was an issue between our internal resolver and the external vendor.
They're basically trying to find someone else to blame, and they're gonna struggle because we filled out role in the support model.

(Shame my Ops Manager will roll over and let them redefine the support model to make us accountable for additional triage in future but oh well)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Major Incident?

Are you all just trolling me or is that genuinely not a standard terminology, cause both us and all our customers use that terminology, including for MI managers etc.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

if it's not a Major Incident, then it's just an incident or a fault.

Whereas a Major Incident is something that's likely to cause us a bunch of money if it stays down for long, or affect our brand.

Again though it seems to be a standard term to me. Maybe it's a UK thing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

New to me. Most places I've seen (including government) use a Severity {1,2,3,..} rating.

Common mistake; a major incident is MI, a minor incident is MiI.

To be clear, we still use a severity rating, but some things might be a severity 1 (whole circuit is down) but not a Major incident (Site closed for national holiday, or is a triple redundant link) whereas lower severity things might be a Major incident.
(Our customers love to insist that if DTMF tones stop working it's an MI, even though that's a severity 3, for example)

e: also, A+ on the C**ts joke and the Steamed Hams reference.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There seems to be a bunch of random conduits around my new house, but I can't figure out where they lead to/where the central point would be.

I suspect it was used to put satellite into multiple rooms in the past, but there's no cabling present now.

Considering working out at least how to get some wiring up from the router in the living room up to my study.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Update on a ticket I raised to a resolver team:

quote:

Dear Team,

Needful has been done. Please help us with the confirmation if the issue still persists.

HE SAID THE THING

e; to be clear, I never asked them to "do the needful" in any way, that wording was all them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/dmofengineering/status/1007753229302550528

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I think I've mentioned a couple times that my current job has been going more and more call centre-y over the last year, and certainly since I started at it 2 and a half years ago.

I have an interview on Monday to return to pretty much what I used to get to do, with a 7k payrise, opportunities to work from home, and I'd be surprised if it ever involved regular weekend work, whereas a few people in my current job reckon we're only a few months away from weekend work in general.

So wish me luck please, but they're essentially looking for someone to come in and do what I did when I started my current job - I don't know their specific technical details, but I have a track record of coming in not knowing the specifics, but getting down the the nitty gritty on a quick schedule

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's still helldesk (Because I don't want to move city, so I'm stuck with the options available here, and there's competition for other roles I could maybe do) but I did just :yotj:

Over the last year, my current job has gotten worse and worse, less technical responsibility for me, no pay progression, stricter and stricter on breaks, all becoming more like a call centre, less like a helpdesk.

Just got an offer for a bit more money, enough to make a difference, and basically moving to this new company to do what I used to do in my current job before they rolled it back.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thing is, I didn't even notice it was in the wrong thread when I read it, because there's about 6 different MTG threads, so it wasn't unreasonable for it to appear in more than 1 of them, and I forget which threads I've opened, as I open them from bookmarks.

It's me, I'm the one with stupid reading habits.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My new job seems to be less Telco than my last one, more avaya infrastructure, acr, and other things (bunch of wfm and custom applications but I'll get to them when I get to them)

Any good tips/resources for an avaya newbie?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

nominal posted:

This is good stuff and I will add it to my arsenal

You clearly never worked in retail involving anything that you could hock an extended warranty with.

When I worked for Game, the listed price for a pre-owned Ds Lite with 2 yrs accident cover was the price you heard, and it was still £30 cheaper than a new DS lite without the warranty.

Of course, for the PS3's, it was never worth it because it was the price of a new controller.
Only times I managed to get that sale was if I could market it exactly that way "hey, if FIFA pisses you off and you throw your controller at the wall, you're still covered for up to 5 replacements!"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I moved to the UK for work close to a year ago, and had to go to the ER a while back. It still astounds me that I paid absolutely nothing for the experience.

This is it.

Sometimes I need to wait a while to get a follow up appointment, and that's a pain, but I know it's because someone else is in far more need.

We need more money in the system, to get Cancer waiting times and others back down, but overall it's an excellent service.

You guys in the states pay way over what I do, and mine comes out as tax, which means it comes out my gross income, not my net.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

Hey, Scotland has free prescriptions.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

From the other side, though: I file a ticket, get a courtesy call from the infrastructure folks to confirm that things are generally working, even if they're not to my satisfaction (i.e. slow as gently caress), then the ticket gets closed with "Working as intended." Then next month I get a nasty call from InfoSec asking why I'm accessing my Google Drive at work, and I get to say "Because my laptop VPN runs like poo poo and the last ticket I opened was basically closed with a smiley face, and I'd rather get things done when I'm offsite than stare at my computer weakly trying to copy files over."

Nah, gently caress it.

If IT won't get the VPN to work better, I'll work at the speed of the VPN, and inform my manager of the issues, in an email.

If an issue ever comes up regarding my productivity while I'm on VPN, I'll just refer back to that email, over and over till it pisses someone off enough to sort out a better formal process.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Plenty places barely make patient maintenance a priority, what makes you think computer maintenance even makes the list of top 5?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

A ticket came in.

Customer is following on from a closed case where they had issues running CMS backups.

The email advises "Just some background, this weekend we had our maintenance gays run a backup and they had out of date documentation"

Emphasis mine.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Senior Analyst for Digital Nephology Solutions would be a great name that is as accurate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

£28 a month, with a Razer Phone on a 2 year contract, no upfront cost, unlimited calls and texts, and 10GB of data.

(Shame the 4G is poo poo in the city centre)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Volguus posted:

When I wasn't at home or at my work desk I was unreachable. That feeling will never come back. Now If im unreachable i have to apologize.

Nah, gently caress that. Unless I'm specifically on call, I'm not reliably reachable. I mean, most of the time my boss could get me through personal channels, though we've not had a need for that yet, but if I'm not paid to work, I ain't at work. Remote or not.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

RE: Leave, I mentioned back in August I got a new job.

Since it's the UK leave was already gonna be at least fine, but I start with either 26 or 28 days, can't remember which, after 2 years get 2 more, and after 4 years get another 2, plus the company gives <Company Name> Days at xmas time, so we get 3 additional days exclusively for use around then, that don't come out of any normal allowance.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Super Soaker Party! posted:

"OK I'll hear a TCP joke"

I am sending you the TCP joke

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

That's a beautiful haiku

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I like our office, but I really wish I had my own desk/cube

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

They do, I think I graphed it out at one point. I think if I'm willing to buy many months and work 5 days per week then it maybe halves the train cost (but not any of the other costs).

Take lunch with you, is a start.

edit; and I'm also assuming you might not have went for a London role living where you are now if it involved being office based.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

So I give up more time instead.

I actually moved out to where I am while working full time in London, because house prices.

The point isn't so much that I could or couldn't have a lower cost commute, it's that while I'm on the high end of the bell curve for this, $5/hour feels like they're undervaluing the cost of their commute in time, happiness, and actual cash. Even commuting with season tickets etc used to cost me £800-900/month.

In fairness, London is especially bad.

My commuting at present is £60 a month to get into Glasgow.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

One customer I had at my old job had some Basement Jaxx song, I forget which, with a boilerplate "we'll be with you as soon as we can" every 30 seconds or so.

What I discovered one day, having been on hold with none of their agents picking up for over 7 minutes, is that it eventually switched to Jamiriquai's Canned Heat.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

What’s your record for longest single conference call?

Mine is 7 hrs starting at 5:50 AM

It was supposed to be a quick network refresh job where we replaced the router and switch and installed a couple new wireless APs.
But they had at least 4 or 5 sites calling in to the same conference bridge at once, and the remote tech was going through the ones where poo poo actually worked and getting them checked out before coming back to those of us at sites where poo poo wasn’t working and needed troubleshooting. I figured out myself within an hour or two that the problem was probably that it was a bridged connection and they hadn’t programmed the PPPoE login into the new gateway, but it was hours before I got the guy at the other end to try actually testing that and contacting the ISP for credentials, since he was helping everyone else first.

6 hours, handing off to a colleague who was on night shift, who was on the full night, with the conference bridge still open when I got back in the next day.

Granted, nearly nothing happened out of hours

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/slace/status/1087128017724272641?s=19

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ugh.
We have a new customer, and we expect ticket volumes to be low.

To connect to their stuff, we need to have individual accounts, no generic access one for the whole support desk.

The individual accounts lock out if not used for 60 days, meaning you need to call them to reactivate, and then they delete if not reactivated within 90 days.
Don't get me wrong, that's 5 months, but we have a lot of customers, and I'm willing to bet that at some point someone gets a backshift of on call case for them, and hasn't used their account in that period.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mgdm/status/1090369448433909760

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm kinda too far the opposite, it's rare that I'll use capslock over shift, even in situations where I'm going to be writing in all caps for several sentences

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No when they close a ticket it gets locked so I cannot comment on it or re-open it without them getting involved.

I....I'm not sure about this...

It's this. Do this.
O....okay. Maybe if my most recent attempt fails. Everything about this suggestion screams "I'll really piss someone off".
[/quote]

You've had three tickets, that people have essentially ignored or failed at.

If you have an option you're going for, go for it, but mention to them that this is your follow up plan if it's not fixed in X amount of time, unless they give a reasonable reason for a delay.

Reason being, pissing someone off might be the only way to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Job posting:

Sign me up for supporting 1990's technology, today!

Please link this so I can send it to people with evidence it's from 2019.