Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I showed my boss who absolutely hates conference calling conferencecall.biz. He didn't even last long enough for the music to kick in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

And you can pet him while talking like some kind of supervillain.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Bat Signal (5G)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Is there any way you can retro-actively declare a security incident for a stolen laptop?

Aren't they always retro-active?

Unless you are planning to steal one. :thunk:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kensei posted:

This ticket came in to our helpdesk, and I just can't parse what might be happening here.

Sounds like someone went into the theme settings and enabled sounds for every action, turning the computer from a real one to TV one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Please tell me this was one of the licensing dongles that also has their exact purpose printed on them + serial no, making it really hard to mistake them for flash drives if you take a second to look at them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GreenNight posted:

What webinar software still uses flash? Is it one of those fake Microsoft tech support scams he's joining?

The website I have to take mandatory safety training on has a fallback option for a flash player in case your device doesn't support html5 video.
They also recently upgraded password complexity rules from the ubiquitous "at least 8 chars, mixed case, number, symbol" to "at least 6 chars, absolutely no spaces or symbols except for _ (underscore)", making it impossible to log in with passwords set previously that contained other symbols.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

E: Oh yeah, these are in no way modern. They were built up in the 80s at least. Still truckin' hard all this time later. No end in sight. :v: I told them they need to fix it to accept unicode before something explodes when someone puts an emoji in their address.

I declined a meeting invitation in Outlook's Android app by putting in a rude string of emoji, 'cause the guy on the receiving end can take a joke (and sends worse to the department group chat). When I saw him later he asked me wtf I sent him and showed me a huge paragraph of random Chinese symbols instead of three emoji.
Being modern has nothing to do with being competent.

Thanatosian posted:

Whoever made RJ-45 and USB about the same width really hated IT people.

Have you seen the mess they made of USB naming conventions? They clearly hate everyone, not just IT people.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm enjoying teaching colleagues enough about computer to be dangerous and then warning them to read the prompts -knowing full well they won't- before clicking anything way too much. :evilbuddy:

In my defense, that computer needed re-imaging anyway.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Passthrough of serial and USB ports to any VM is solid enough for dongles and controlling devices over RS-232. I've done it with both kvm and HyperV. Use a PCI card or USB-serial adapter to add serial ports to a modern system.

A lot of modern systems actually still have serial ports, or at least headers for it on the motherboard.

The IT department at work is dead-set on removing a Windows XP machine that's still in use to control a hydraulic press and also some other software that refuses to run on anything newer. Turning it into a standalone with no network attachment was acceptable until they realized we'd be using USB drives to get the data off.
When I questioned one of them on why it would be a problem if we use a known clean USB drive that's never leaving the premises and only touches computers that are properly updated and stuff, the answer was "what if the XP computer already has a virus?"

"Then it would already be crypto-ing the entire network, not waiting until someone disconnects it from the network to hopefully infect a usb drive and then magically start crypto-ing the network from a fully up to date Windows 10 computer."
"We take network security very seriously after last time!!" (Last time refers to the time the network got crypto'd and their backups were hit as well.)

This is the same department that gives every user local admin and only passive-aggressively started putting passwords on the advanced settings in ESET after I added a firewall exception for a PLC's internal IP address. Without reverting my change, making my computer the de-facto only system able to talk to the loving PLC.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Now fix this one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Don't worry, eventually we'll be outraged by literally any qualifier in literally any context and we'll ban communication.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

Very spicy take there, friend.

You're right. I probably shouldn't post hot takes like that right before going to bed.

My point is that people are chomping at the bit to get outraged at anything just so they can turn around and go "see how woke I am? Aren't I a great person? Please validate me! Social media has trained me to think I'm worthless unless I get a constant stream of likes!"

It's like that goon that used search to burst into threads and berate people talking about trannies, only to end up in AI with people talking about their transmissions. I'm all for dropping casual racism and slurs from our vocabulary, but even mentioning black or white in the context of paint coatings can trigger some brokebrained idiots.

A lot of the proposed solutions, in the context of real people, are "we can't call them [slur] anymore, let's call them [new term that doesn't have a negative charge yet]" only for it to be repeated a couple years down the line.
Surprise! Racism by any other name doesn't solve racism.

Taking out objectively racist terminology: good.
Taking out terminology that might potentially be considered racist if taken out of context and even then only by people with racism on the mind: you'll end up being able to differentiate at all in the end.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sickening posted:

Like you are giving out racist, bigot vibes in a big way. Just stop.

dragonshardz posted:

I encourage you to:

1. Chill the gently caress out
2. Re-examine your own biases
3. THink twice before getting more worked up on the subject of inclusive language than anyone else in the thread

You're both right and I'm sorry for bringing this poo poo into the thread. I've been pretty stressed lately and it's loving with my mind. Thanks for putting the mirror in front of me.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you have a separate "office" and/or do you use a different set of hardware to work than to play?

If you answered "no" to either, you should fix that. Separating work from home life is incredibly important for many people. If you're in the same chair, at the same desk, using the same computer for everything, it's no wonder you get tired of it.

This is incredibly true. I've found that I have to use my notebook in the living room to get any work done, instead of my much nicer desktop that's in my bedroom.

If I absolutely have to work on my desktop due to whatever circumstances I'm not able to "switch off" from work for that day, and sometimes not even the day after until I shut down the notebook in the living room.

But now I got a lab job so there's no working from home (I see this as a positive).

Also, a ticket came in, from me to IT:

quote:

Please don't reboot the machine you're removing McAfee and installing ESET on, it's in the middle of a measurement that can't be interrupted or resumed. You almost gave my boss a heart attack when you remoted in and minimized the test program.

I'm honestly not sure if ESET is an improvement with its dumb mitm certificate mangling. But that's their problem.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Today I followed IT's instructions to always install available updates when Dell Command Update offers them and nearly ended up bricking the drat thing because DCU decided to update itself while simultaneously updating the SSD firmware.
When it booted back up DCU was missing and the firmware update didn't take.

Ended up working after reinstalling DCU and picking single updates at a time. Except for the bios update because, while I can suspend bitlocker just fine, I don't (and shouldn't) know the bios password to put into DCU.
I was gonna ask them to remote in to enter it for me, but DCU just doesn't offer the update anymore now that it failed. :shrug:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wa27 posted:

Look, it's Office 365, not Office 366. This is to be expected in leap years.

Do you think it'll conk out in week 53 of this year as well?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Make like the Warner Brothers animators and add in steps that obviously get taken out so your other ones survive, like how they got so many jokes past the censors.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Of course my favorite are the people who figured out how to map their own drive letters to subfolders so they can skirt the Windows max_path filename character limit. The most impressive one was 796 I think. Of course once the file was there, they couldn't do poo poo with it but that didn't stop them from submitting tickets.

That was my secret technique to force people to stop deleting a folder they didn't want to see in "their" (everyone's) network share folder that happened to be load bearing for some lovely in-house software.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: %computer% never came back up

:what: I'm in it now

:v: Yeah, but it never came up

:what: You can see me doing stuff on this machine, right?

:v: Yeah but it never came back up!"

:mad: WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??

:v: IT NEVER CAME UP

:suicide:

Nobody ever spoke of it again.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I requested a new keyboard for one of our lab computers because I hosed up and poured cement into the old one.
They sent over their intern to pick out the cement until it worked again. He did a surprisingly good job of it, but I'm still going to buy a new one and expense it.

Do you think it was some sort of IT hazing ritual?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

Sorry to go back like three pages but... Cement, or rubber cement?

Cement based liquid flow screed to be exact.

He got to it before it'd fully set, but it's still like wtf.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I remember a coworker using this to keep his computer from going to the screen saver and locking: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

I thought that MAC were unique? A part of it is the manufacturer and the rest can be compared to the serial number?

I've had power surges change my motherboard's built in NIC's MAC address to 00-00-00-00-00-10 on two separate occasions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I could swear I saw a password complexity error dialog once that said “you cannot use the following characters” and it was ONLY the characters you would strip out in order to protect against a little bobby tables style SQL insertion attack, like “-“ and “;” and “(“

Meaning they were slapping your input right the gently caress into an unsanitized database query and storing it plaintext.

One of the e-learning portals I have to use for work does that. Or rather, switched to doing that.
They used to have sane password requirements and then suddenly switched to real crazy requirements like that and also forced everyone to change their passwords after logon.

My money's on they got breached and just quietly tried to 'fix' it instead of doing the legally required disclosure.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I just love that my HP dock has a fan inside it which I get to hear running all the time, even when my laptop and the monitors connected to it are turned off!

The Dell USB-C dock I have sometimes just decides to blast its fan at 100% for no loving reason. It's barely even warm and it switches between 0% and 100% every other second when it's going nutso.

Also sometimes I have to remove power from it to let it reboot because its ethernet stops working.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

Are you guys still using actual docks? My agency went with these "docking" monitors for our latest laptops, they seem okay so far other than the fact that for some reason Windows thinks they have speakers in them when they don't, so we keep having to show people how to switch their sound output device.

https://store.hp.com/sg-en/default/hp-elitedisplay-e273d-27-inch-docking-monitor-5wn63aa.html

They probably have a little 3.5mm audio out jack to connect a set of speakers to.
That'll throw off Windows because the monitor is technically telling the truth when it says it's capable of handling audio. Too bad Windows can't tell if there's anything connected to the jack.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Darchangel posted:

It sorts out email that you typically delete quickly into the “other” view, in my experience. There’s probably other ways to train it, but that’s how it’s been working since we moved to O365 last year. I saw it first on the Outlook app on my phone before that, though.

Sounds like that "important" label Gmail has. Where it began labeling everything, including newsletters and actual spam, as important before I turned the "feature" off.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

Also Nth-ing that every single desktop we've gotten from HP for the last decade or so has had a built-in speaker. They're not old-school PC-speaker types, they're full speakers, though they are usually mono since there's just one speaker in the box. I didn't realize that was an HP-only thing, I thought it was pretty handy since it saved us from having to buy external speakers.

Dell Optiplex boxes also include a speaker in the case, so it's even more surprising people are acting like it's unheard of.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think it means they're the one that the blame gets deflected onto when the crypto hits.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Renegret posted:

My laptop's fan is dying.

How badly will IT laugh at me and tell me to gently caress off if I suggest just shipping me a new fan for me to plop in. I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to drive to the office.

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't let a user do that. But are we talking, a polite no, or a forums post on something awful about how loving stupid this motherfucker is.

e: Most of our IT is outsourced though so I half expect the ticket to sit there for 3 weeks until my manager gets pissed off and starts escalating, and then they swap it out with an inferior computer and I never see it again.

My previous job's IT had no problems sending 100% computer illiterate people a loose keyboard module and a single sheet of printed instructions to swap out notebook keyboards that they delivered with the wrong layout.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ClickShare is fine for PowerPoint, but don't expect great results for video. At least, that's my experience with it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hotel Kpro posted:

New Linkedin message, what's it about? Hmmm this job posting looks suspiciously like my job...

We're short one person so it's not like anyone's getting replaced as far as I know but c'mon, the recruiter could have made at least some attempt to figure out I already work there

Play dumb and see if you get a higher offer than what you're currently making?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

> [SPAM] FW: RE: The logs could do with a courtesy flush

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:blush:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Look up a photo of their CEO and create a facerig with it, for your video.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Have them use Private or Incognito Mode, depending on the browser. That proves it's either a cache issue, or a browser extension, usually.

Why is Microsoft pushing HP BIOS updates? That's a thing I never want to happen.

They do it for Dell as well. And the Windows Update-provided ones bypass the lockout for Bitlocker and BIOS passwords that otherwise blocks Dell Command Update from doing the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Them pushing out BIOS updates explains why I've had people randomly needing us to retrieve the Bitlocker key, since, as you say, if they'd done it via Dell Command Update, it would have temporarily turned off Bitlocker.

For what it's worth, I've never had to enter the Bitlocker key when updating the BIOS on my work computer through Windows Update.
I don't know the admin password for the BIOS, so I can't enter that into Dell Command Update, nor do I care to ask IT to do it for me as roughly a week after it becoming available on DCU, Windows Update has it.