Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

rafikki posted:

We had a guy who was doing something, I think putting his jacket on his chair or something, and a gun fell out onto the floor. Luckily it didn't go off.

Any competently-made factory weapon won't discharge if dropped. Manufacturers test for that specifically.

I don't know if my workplace has a no-guns policy, and I don't think I care at this point. Not like it'll stop me from carrying if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shut up Meg posted:

I've heard that quite a few companies are adopting the policy of burner laptops for travel to China.

Literally burners as they get destroyed after the trip, not just wiped and then put back into circulation. Which seems both wasteful/paranoid and yet perfectly sensible. Anyone doing that?

Yup. We issue from a pool of older but still usable machines for travel to hostile political environments, which are destroyed on return.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't want to imagine someone who'd take a work asset with them on an international vacation.

I don't even take my work laptop HOME most days. My loyalty to The Company ends when I stop being paid. gently caress you, I'm not taking a work laptop on vacation. I'm also shunting my phone into family-and-close-friends-only mode.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of ticket closures, I just closed more than three quarters of our hardware reclamation queue. Turns out some dingus had been submitting hardware reclaim tickets for people who weren't issued hardware, using communal machines to do work. Co-ops and interns and the like.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Merijn posted:

:stare: Who the HELL thinks that is something to be proud of?

People who think that their password is so fuckin' good it can be used for EVERYTHING and nobody will EVER know, because NO ONE will guess CorrectHorseBatteryStaple.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

capitalcomma posted:

Is there a published Acceptable Use Policy for employees that prohibits poo poo like that? Cause that's the kind of thing I'd notify managers about.

I mean, here it's part of the basic security training, and if you use the same password for more than just one account and tell someone about it there's a bounty on that poo poo with our infosec staff.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TinTower posted:

They really need to fix the healing item drop rates. Like, I get they want it to Team Rocket to be a challenge, but it's ridiculous spinning a few dozen stops and not even getting a single potion.

That's why microtransactions exist, man.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

The Macaroni posted:

Let me guess--this wasn't an easily readable address like First.Last@gmail.com, it was something like Hot4Students69@hotmail.com wasn't it?

Thanks for reminding me of my friend, an IT administrator for a school district here in Pennsylvania, who caught the middle school's principal with clandestine recordings from students' webcams.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

It Was In The News.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in to attempt to power on and FDR ~30 ancient BlackBerry 8830 & 8703e. And record whether or not these devices, which were found in a storage room, powered off, without batteries, will power on so they can be FDR'd.

:smith:

I would think they're already FDR'd since they're disabled AND dead.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Looking forward to my first day of wfh on Monday.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's so good. I'm 3 days/week remote right now because I-75 is an unmitigated loving disaster, and I love it. My team lead doesn't know I'm going to lobby for 1 or 2 days/month in the office soon, instead of the other way around when construction wraps for the season.

I don't have an option, man. Mandatory work from home, 5 days a week.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shut up Meg posted:

'Work date nights and weekends with me. You won't have a boyfriend'

Lemme tell you, starting off your help-wanted post with a quote from Eliezer "It's like religion, but with AI as god" Yudkowsky is a real quick way to generate derisive laughs.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 3, 2020

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

I just had an orientation today where it was clearly explained that
Modern mri machines are always on these days and to stay the gently caress away. They literally don’t turn them off due to liquid helium. Signs everywhere that say “the magnet is always on and it’s never wrong”

Get close to them with metal and you will probably die. The layout of modern hospitals have sections of escalating danger like it’s a nuclear reactor.

The hospital that maintains my internal hardware systems has a special, extremely-low-flux MRI just for people like me with huge amounts of metal buried inside us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
boy fuckin' howdy lemme tell you it's great looking for a new contract in the middle of the loving Death Stranding