Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Why would they delete that post? It seems completely unoffensive, in every way.

Probably because it was from 2015, not 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Weedle posted:

It wouldn’t be a[n] Microsoft enterprise product if it didn’t take several more steps than it should to accomplish anything.

Fixed that for you

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Renegret posted:

Just last month, I realized I had been using a 100mbps home router for the past three years.

I get 300mbps service

I work in networking :negative:

I once had a very angry call with my ISP about how even though I was paying for 200mbps I was getting 80-ish max. Had an hour or so of "did you try turning it off and then on again" before they agreed to credit my account.
Turns out the cats had managed to chew at some of the cables enough that they were autonegotiating down to 100mbs and struggling even then.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Renegret posted:

Resolution: Switch to a different speed test server. Take ours out of production because it's dying.

Virgin have a big enough network in the UK that if you go to speedtest.net and you're on virgin, you'll automatically be pointed to an in network server which gives you maxed out speeds no matter the state of their connection to the rest of the internet. Trying to explain that yes speedtest "works fine " with their default server but the rest of the internet is capping out at 5-6mb/s for 8 hours a day is "great fun" (partly caused by Liberty deciding to route via their network centre in Belgium so a UK-UK connection goes an extra few thousand miles and dozens of extra servers)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't the GDS start off as a good idea and then got hosed over a few years back? Something along the lines of wanting to go with small UK startups for web services that needed developing but ending up being pushed towards the normal Capita, Atos etc. I need my memory jogging.

Nah it was always run by a bunch of Nathan Barley types fixated on the idea that no one outside Shoreditch "gets" the web.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like a British Silicon Valley.

No because Silicon Valley has some actual skilled programmers working there not just idiots with connections and a "clever idea". You know how Rudy Giuliani is now Trump's Cybersecurity adviser? GDS was like that but "the web" for the British government.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 13, 2018

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
An email came in to my legacy work address, and spammers have gotten clever

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
When I went to a prospective student day at UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) in the late 90s, all their servers were named after Babylon 5 characters. The university collapsed and shut down 2 or 3 years later. Not saying that the two facts are related but you have to wonder, right?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just a warning that the register have a very strong bias against public sector tech for some reason, so read it with that in mind.

The Register is a UK based site. The UK government has literally NEVER had an IT project that worked. Some of them have ended up working enough that they're actually used rather than abandoned but they're all years late and at least 10x over budget. Sometimes they end up causing hundreds or thousands of unnecessary deaths, like the fire brigade's IT sytesm, and some times they end up just costing huge amounts of money, like the Student Loan Company's IT systems (if you have a loan with them that you've paid off, check out the paperwork - I guarantee they've hosed up illegally and will pay you off to avoid a court trial)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
What are the odds of their "ethernet" being 10base2 rather than any standard created in the last 30 years?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Very senior UK government advisor just put up a job advert on his blog looking for "expert coders" who are "weirdos" if any of you are looking for a job right now (it's also an implicit acknowledgement that GDS is useless, which the goon who works there at a senior level and gets angry at me when I'm rude about them will love, I swear)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

CollegeCop posted:

Just saw this on another forum:

https://www.businessinsider.com/work-from-home-sneek-webcam-picture-5-minutes-monitor-video-2020-3

They would just get a view of the inside of my webcam cover if they tried this crap with me.

This is why the default webcam on my PC is the Facerig virtual camera

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

I informed the school before I left that there were a few accounts that had 2FA set up that I could not transfer ownership for until there was another TC set up and ready to take on the responsibility (Apple education is a huge pile of poo poo). There always has to be an owner and you can't transfer ownership to service accounts or an empty chair.

Apple and Google both seem to have weird issues with the idea that a business can survive when people come and go - the only service that I've been made to interact with that actually understood that was Heroku (and so - by extension - so does Salesforce I assume)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Become a Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Ninja

If no one else is going to do this, I will:

You wouldn't like being a ninja, Bob, they wear a mask all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I know there was a brief time when cable modem customers on an ISP here (:britain:) could tunnel all their traffic via UDP port 53 and escape the "you haven't actually subscribed to a service" walled garden. The sorts of things that happen in the early 2000s.

This was still working with BT Business Broadband (ADSL) as of 2014-2015 (I can't remember when exactly our UK office shut)