Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fortis posted:

If in four years I'm still at the company where I work, barring some kind of miracle making it an ideal place to work, I hosed up. I've already been there way too long.
The IT Director resigned, then his replacement, the former Assistant Director resigned (he had the position for like a week), and that leaves me as the most senior person in IT. Tomorrow I get to go in and find out what the gently caress they want to do to fix the department.

Oh and just before that one of my best sysadmins resigned. They all went to the company that the IT Director moved on to. Who knows if he'll recruit more people from our team and if one of them will be me.

What a way to start 2018.

The way I am reading this, you are now the boss of IT. How about those raises for your team members that you want to keep? I would guess you are in a position to go bat for them now.

If that fails, ask the IT director for a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

Change the SSID to "HEALING ENERGY WAVES"

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Imagine the hell that person would raise if the cleaning staff took something that they thought weren't trash and put it on his/her desk. I bet the person would not be happy that they were erring on the side of caution then.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Alcohol intake is rising.

Please take care of yourself. Don't use alcohol to comfort yourself, get therapy instead. Or a friend to talk to. Find a place to vent that is not random people on a comedy forum (but keep posting here anyway).

Good luck, both with finding a new job and with your kids.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Your manager is probably making a lot of money off the situation, and can always quit if he/she can't handle it anymore.

It really is not your problem. The company don't care about you, they only care about the work that has to be done. If it's you or someone else, don't care, go with the cheapest one that won't make a fuzz about being worked to death.

Good luck finding somewhere to live and a new job!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Good luck, and please remember to take care of eachother as well. Mommy and daddy are very important as well.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

It is a fun thing to read.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

angry armadillo posted:

Surely if you can drag the cables next to each other, the burst water main will provide water, the snow will freeze the water and therefore the cables being in place will freeze back together and we will all go home on time tonight.

Obviously.

And ice is transparent, so even the fiber cables will work!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can get soundabsorbing pictures that might be a good idea.

Whatever you do for soundproofing, make sure you consider fire safety. Foam burns REALLY well, and you are double screwed if you muffle out the fire alarm.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Ticket came in: Printer only prints fully black pages. Please send a tech, this is affecting production.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Someone spilled something and won't tell you.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

TRIGGER WARNING, dumb jokes by goons: Also reminder about the goon that found it funny to swap out the SATA cable with a known faulty one.

Do you work with any goons?

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 27, 2019

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like it's cost your employer much - so it seems as though they've gotten what they paid for?

Larches, you should put that somewhere in the documentation where the next sucker will see it. You did great with what you had, which turned out to be a lot of liquid poo poo and some polish.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Rorac posted:

I've always thought some form of pictogram would be ideal. Forget labeling what the danger is, that might make it more difficult for any sort of translation. If you seal something like that with multiple doors (and why wouldn't you?), having something like a picture of a human body nearby a smaller skeleton on the first door, and increasing the size of the skeleton relative to the person (with the final door being perhaps having just the skeleton) as a sort of symbolic "you are approaching danger/death", well that seems reasonably universal. If they're going to bust open that last door, then no warning you could've put down likely would've stopped them; you did your due diligence.

So in the future, they read the other way. So first door means you can turn your dead child back into a living adult, and the further in you go, you can bring older people back to life.
Symbolism depends on culture as well. A skeleton might not mean death either, we have no way of knowing.
Burying it deep somewhere either stable or somewhere that is being pushed down into the planet by tectonic plates is probably better.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Knormal posted:

In a big PC refresh we did about a decade ago we got two PCs with the same MAC. Fortunately they ended up on opposite ends of the state and never ended up on the same subnet, so it never caused any technical issues, but man did that confuse us for a while until we confirmed that they were in fact different machines.

I thought that MAC were unique? A part of it is the manufacturer and the rest can be compared to the serial number?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I gave a Cybersecurity Update (tm) to the executive level team today, which apparently I'm do to monthly? I guess now I'm the security guy along with the network guy and the ticket guy.

How was the raise that came with the added responsibility?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Or maybe they are fully aware and some VP need some minions to bully.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

My guess would be fear of retaliation. If your company takes legal action against Dell, good luck getting any support afterwards. That might be illegal, but do you really think they care when they are already harassing people?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

While I tend to agree, the only way up for me would be management and I don't want that. It woulf probably be less actual work, but I hate the versions I have seen so far. I don't want to be responsible for everyone's failings, I'll own my own and that's it.

That might make you a good manager... Maybe.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Renegret posted:

It's probably DNS

Definitely Nutty Squirrels?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Agrikk posted:

I received a cold-call for a crypto startup and the rep breathlessly exclaimed that I was a lucky candidate under consideration. When asked what my salary requirement was I told him $500,000 in cash, non-sequential unmarked bills, delivered up front in a green duffel bag. It was critical that the duffel bag was green.

He never responded, weirdly.

So one of those "Remove all green M&Ms" for artists. If the duffel bag is not green, something will be wrong with the bills. Smart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

And the client saying in writing that you had until the end of the month to get this sorted, right?