Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it was Stream Global Services at the time, since bought out by Convergys. Arvato had the other half of the contract, and I *think* there might have been another smaller op that we never dealt with but it's happily been a long time. EMEA support. Happily they managed to be so terrible that they voided my NDA when breaching contract, so I can say whatever the gently caress I like about my time there. If they have a problem with it then they can see me in court. Again.

It must be nice living in a place where employment law means something other than "Bend over worker, we're going in dry".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nerdrock posted:

A human came in a week ago...

This shot however was from Saturday.

I'm out of PTO time so it's super great being back at work while my 1.5 lb 3-months-early baby chills about 2 hours away from me. The amount of fucks I've given about literally anything at work right now has reached new and unprecedented levels of zero.

Edit for the curious : This is our first and probably only child, after 5+ years of attempts. Her name is Summer and she's probably going to live in that box for the next few months.

Ours arrived at 29 weeks 4 days (the water broke a week earlier and Mrs. Schadenboner was in the hospital) so I know this feel. I hope everything gets better.

Kangaroo care is really helpful, it seems like.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s always DNS

It's not always DNS* but it's never not-DNS, if that makes sense?

*: Ron Howard: "It was always DNS"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

I loved my 12s. I don't really unwind after work, so having so many days clear is p awesome

We're all 3.5 12s (3x 12-hour shifts and a sixer but I'm actually 3 12s and a 7 since the weekly meeting starts an hour before my half-day does).

And we're hourly.

And all of us are scheduled this way.

And our new manager is persistently confused about why we're all getting OT.

:doh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would very much like a job like this

:same::hf::emptyquote:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, friend.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ilkhan posted:

My whole company just got invited to a rafting day, with the company paying for the rafts.

What about the life-jackets though? Is this part of a RIF plan?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like the VOIP handset market is more-or-less the buggy whip market c. 1918, but they're still pricing as if it were the dressage riding crop market c. 2018?

All's I'm saying is I don't see "VOIP Handset" becoming even an Observer-Status Olympic sport any time soon, metaphorically speaking?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The large-retail-chain-headquartered-in-milwaukee (the one that didn’t just go tits-up) makes Mrs. Schadenboner pay a fee for my company offering (awful small/medium-business) insurance but I hadn’t heard of places doing a straight ban. hosed up. :sever:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chin up everything sucks posted:

Do I need to once again reiterate my horror story of being one of Ubiquiti's 4 tech support about 5 years ago?

:munch:

Also, what’s the deal with the dancing banana with the Ubiquiti sign smilie?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ganon posted:

I was just looking at a job posting at a finance company and it mentioned a "trading turret" so I googled it hoping it was some kind of terminal with a gun, now I kind of want one

:stare:

That sure is a ... thing!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don’t even own a printer...

:smuggo:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I likewise am glad to learn of this. Also: “Queefy”, :lol:.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SoftNum posted:

Capslock was useful when mainframes would throw a shitfit if you used lower case. Kinda like the pause, break and sysreq keys

For the longest time I thought SysReq meant "System Required" and was in reference to the "Print" that's also on the key, like "If have a printer (the titular System Required) and you push this button it will print".

:eng99:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

:stwoon: There's an IT relics thread?

I thought this was it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

Hate when people do that, and there's no excuse just because you're "letting go" or whatever. My wife had a really choice internship lined up back in college, but there was a holdup pending approval from some particular manager. It was taking a while, and it turned out that it was taking extra time because he was out of the office--with a terminal illness.

Apparently a day or so before he passed away, he motioned for a family member to come near and said something like, "Listen, there's some college kid waiting on me for her internship. It'll get lost in red tape if I don't get it nailed down. Can you help me write and sign a memo approving the funding, and get it to my office?"

She got the internship, and heard this story from the head of the lab she worked in. Never got to thank the guy.

:unsmith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I might have asked this once but how many amps is a penny? Like, when you use a penny as a fuse it doesn't melt, but there's presumably some amperage which would cause it to melt?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

And a lot of unzip programs don’t respect the password flag on a .docx. At least that used to work?

:laugh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geemer posted:

Well, at least they're not saving plaintext passwords in the file. :eng99:

Anymore! :eng101:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Guess who found a SQL server with real time scanning of the database files turned on

“This server performs really badly and the CPU usage is always really high” uh yeah, no poo poo.

You should reply advising them that the correct way to say this is “this server performs really poorly” then set it “Pending Customer Response”, hth?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Digital_Jesus posted:

Anything AV related that isn't windows defender is poo poo, and windows defender works fairly well for what it is honestly, especially when you're using it with a more advanced endpoint management suite like sccm.

That being said the only real way to have a noticeable impact (aside from not allowing people to actually use the computers) is to have a proper security suite with firewalls, AV, email & web filtering, application whitelisting, etc, and with ALL of that you are still going to get people who click on YOURPACKINGINVOICE.pdf.7zip.exe that finds a way to run out of the one folder you can prevent executables from running out of because it interferes with the CEO's mp3 player software from 2002. Or that one legacy program that nobody understands how it works or why we need it but it requires all users to be local admin. Or that software vendor for your ERP system that says "We dont support configurations where windows firewall is turned on".

IT security is smoke and mirrors. The only way to be protected in an online world is not to be online.

Wish you would protect yourself in the online world (by not being online (so we wouldn’t have to read your posts (which, by not being online, you would be unable to make))).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Digital_Jesus posted:

Who's slapfighting? Everyone should have AV, just dont bother paying for more than MS already gives you and don't expect it to be a miraculous catch-all that makes you immune to infection?

Yeah, third party AV is complete poo poo. I’m legitimately unsure if it’s better/less bad to use third party AV or to “raw dog it” (as the kids say these days), both options being far inferior to using Defender which is real good and which everyone should use.

I just like nesting parentheses.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

my cat is norris posted:

A Russian email address sent our service desk address a little test email at 4:48 PM yesterday.

After the service system sent back a positive automated response, the flood gates opened. Between 5:04 PM and 6:06 AM, we received over 1000 false help tickets advertising everything from pharmaceuticals to mail order brides.

The mistake was in accepting mail from Russia, hth?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's only 10am, and I'm ready for a drink. Who's with me? :psyduck:

Your only mistake was to ever stop drinking, hth?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

If I hadn't finished off the beer in the fridge last night, this mistake would never have been made.

I mean, everyone makes mistakes. What’s important is that you’re serious about lessons learned and you don’t repeat the error?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fil5000 posted:

"Oh yeah, what's the weather like in NOTTINGHAM then if that's where you are"

I mean, bleak and post-industrial?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PremiumSupport posted:

Unless you need storage space for some reason, a workstation machine in this day and age should have an SSD rather than a spinning disk.

If it’s important enough to need it’s important enough to store. Storage should be on a nas or a san, no loving exceptions and no loving spinners.

:mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean no single-spinners on endpoints, obvs. Big spinners on RAIDed and backed-up storage is fine unless you’re :homebrew: af and can spring for all-flash arrays in which case “you do you” (as the kids say these days).

But spinners on desktops/laptops in 20-loving-19 are malpractice per se in my book.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

[IMG:Drake turning his head and putting up a hand unhappily]

[IMG:Drake looking and pointing approvingly]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Schedule a meeting with him, then gank his lappy when he’s away?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

in case the difference is just an exclamation mark or something.

RON HOWARD VOICE: It was.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a difference, here. Every organization should be free to choose from multiple products to find the one that best meets the needs of the org. But once they've chosen, allowing users to fragment it makes for lots of friction.

Or to put it another way:

Multiple choices for each organization to choose from? Good. Single choice? Bad.

Multiple choices for end users within each organization to choose from? Bad. Single choice? Good.

What if: Democratic Centralism but software?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

stevewm posted:

The computer janitor probably hit the reboot button when they where putting the bit-mop back in the closet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fil5000 posted:

This is the same for literally every productivity metric ever and it's infuriating to me that managers almost always just go "faster equals better, kick the slow people in the teeth until they game the system" instead of going "hey why is Steve doing three million widgets an hour when the median is forty, maybe we should look at what he's doing"

Except that the median will invariably be (re-)set to Steve.

Management by metrics is a disease.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

This was a couple pages back, but just wanted to say that this post made my morning. Happy things happen once in a while.

See I read this as the supervisor having chimed in to poo poo on the OP but maybe not? :unsmith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Heners_UK posted:

Between this and the thread's attitude to printers, I'm concluding that we have a secret general hatred of paper.

What's so secret about it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

And there's a link (rasterized in one of the scanned images) to a Google Doc where half the data ACTUALLY lives.

Whoever owned it has been termed for 6 months and no one knows how to get into their account.

Oh god, don't stop, I'm almost there...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

This really should include "2,147,483,648" somewhere in the setup though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

gently caress you, you don't get to see that I looked at your e-mail. No way in hell you're going to use that against me when I choose to ignore you.

I do this but I also request explicit received and read receipts for all messages.

:hehe:

E: And I have a rule to auto-delete the receipts because: gently caress reading through those.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 1, 2019