Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It seems like this "funny picture" post has a lot of backstory?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you stay in shape and use the right apps, you can get a direct deposit every night if you're lucky!

LEWD
E
W
D

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LethalGeek posted:

I wanted to share this one part of a tale from the awful r/relationships thread, mostly so this group can gawk at the series of decisions made by some users:
Also can you spot where "IT person" hosed up?

Picking up the phone when it said "Mom"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Pretty sure you can roll Dropbox back. Why didn't this guy just buy his mother $60 a year of Backblaze.

She should have let him get that Marilyn Manson CD back in '96?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MF_James posted:

I recommend reading like 20 pages of the thread on GBS that posts those, you will quickly learn.

What a hosed-up, horrible thing to say to someone.

I don't know whether to be angry at you or sad for you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Didn't the CEO of MS give everyone a perpetual W10 key for personal use or some poo poo as a COVID-gift?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DelphiAegis posted:

I mean australia did fight a war with emus... And lost.

Goddamnit, it was a negotiated peace!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it a good Psyduck?

APAG

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there any appetite for reverse engineering the software and writing something new? This old unsupported poo poo tends not to be very sophisticated.

I'd assume there would be regulatory hurdles making this difficult? Like the FDA probably has to approve it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It just seems unlikely that the FDA and the device manufacturer would be cool with that?

Does GE Medical (or whomever) still service the devices when they break?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

devmd01 posted:

Usually hospitals will just contract with GE or whatever to support their stuff.

There are also third-party biomedical engineering firms that hospitals contract with to support all of their devices that can support devices like that, but they still have relationships with the OEM for support if needed.

And if the decompile/rewrite thing were to happen I'm assuming the support path becomes somewhat more, um, complex?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
git commit-bourgeois-formalism

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Bourgeois/Proletarian?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Heners_UK posted:

God damnit is it really so loving unprofitable to treat people like human beings?!

RON HOWARD VOICE: It was.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My company recently started doing something called "L10". It's not bad exactly but it's super structured and I've just never seen a meeting structure system that didn't make most meetings overall worse?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sheep posted:

sideline unnecessary discussions or break those discussions out to separate groups and let uninvolved people leave once the main meeting was done

Yeah but the L10 evangelist here is also the guy who can't do these things to save his life (I think it might literally be a low-level on-the-spectrum thing for him) but he's the boss so :shrug:.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The unrealistic part of this is pretending there would be social pressure used on an irresponsible gun-owner by responsible ones.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, that makes more sense: I thought you meant an RSO when you said "safety officer"?

Although...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like Gonzo but I'm concerned about whether Henrietta has/can give consent?

Fozzie is my spirit animal though. :dadjoke: all the way down.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, the problematics of inter-species dating are hinted at in The Muppets Take Manhattan when Rizzo asks the leggy blonde how she feels about it but IIRC that particular issue is never wrapped up?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I thought The Dilbert Principle was actually a decently funny book with a surprising amount of insight.

But yeah, sometime around the early 00's something went very very wrong with he hed or some poo poo?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I apparently swear too much, because my phone has corrected at least one conjugation of duck to gently caress.

My iPhone has given up and started recognizing/correcting misspellings of "fuckstain".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

I love teaching phones to swear. It makes my ducking day

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

nullfunction posted:

I feel extremely attacked by this post

My personal specialty is copying in a carriage return and auto-running whatever I'm pasting.

I totally haven't hosed things up by doing this, though!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Entropic posted:

This is giving me horrible flashbacks to when I used to work at a repair shop.

https://twitter.com/CompAesthetics/status/1300995052739624961?s=20

Cracking my case after a long time smoking in front of it was what made me decide to quit.

:shudder:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

Probably because until recently it was just gross, but not something harmful

CRISPR really is a double-edged sword isn't it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

Whats morale?

Nothing, what's morale with you?

:dadjoke:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Super Soaker Party! posted:

When the boss needs your cam,
Cause he thinks you're a scam,

:capitalism:

:eng101:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Well that doesn't fit the meter AT ALL. :saddowns:

This is also why we don't use them in :gop:!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The reasons for the lack of metric adoption in the U.S. are probably more tied to the lack of an effective administrative state (especially from c. 1980 onwards) which I'd really trace back to the multipolar insanity of federalism but, you know: it's all a complex melange of poo poo and I'll just call it "Capitalism" as shorthand?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like metric for volumes/small sizes but miles for proper distances and fahrenheit for temps?

It's me: I'm the problem.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volguus posted:

Soon enough you'll have a scorching 69C too in some places.

But, while I'm not one to kinkshame, I can feel fairly certain in suggesting that (for the vast majority of people) 69 C is somewhat-less-nice than 69 F?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

Chicago/michigan are the only places I know for sure they meet, so worth asking 😁

It's a thing in the 414 as well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I never regret re-watching that elevator video. You'd think that spending 2 hours watching something you've already seen would be a waste but it's just like looping TLO Roll Call like 50 times and really: when aren't you doing that?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This or the other "Working in IT is not good, actually" thread has made me realize that I probably do have something like very mild PTSD around phones and I've come to the conclusion that the root is probably the few years working at a high volume help desk (which I eventually got fired from because I was doing hard poo poo rather than 50 password resets a day but the metric graphs didn't really have a "difficulty" variable :sigh:) many years ago.

So, :tipshat: for that. It really helps contextualize the panic at the pit of my stomach whenever a phone rings?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

So, :tipshat: for that. It really helps contextualize the panic at the pit of my stomach whenever a phone rings?

I just realized this could come off bitchy or some poo poo and it wasn't meant to: understanding the root of an anxiety is the first step to processing and overcoming it and I legit appreciate that this (or the other) thread made me look at my reaction in the context of (admittedly v.mild) stress disorders?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
"Once something is a metric it will be gamed"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

its the metrics that make it so hellish. You become afraid to take that break you need to maintain sanity, and once that happens it will follow you to other jobs. No matter how much a good manager says its ok, you will be terrified it will be held against you down the road.

:shudder::hf::yeah:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Internet Explorer posted:

How do they not require MFA for all verified accounts?

Internet Explorer posted:

What a dumb world we live in.

When you answer your own question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

working sucks, don't do it

:eng101: