Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

Shoutout to our DHCP team. Every time modems aren't locking, they get called, even if we've verified that there's plenty of available addresses. It's a dumb phone call we make every time and they have never complained once.

And we will continue to call them every time, because the one time we skip them, it's going to be DHCP related.

Everyone always rolls their eyes about appeasing the machine spirits verifying available addresses until the washing machine eats you gets a colliding address...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

There are niche reasons that I would suggest printers be configured to have static IPs from a security perspective, but I've been in hotel networks where I escaped the local Dublin guest network and was printing "If you can read this please call <my work phone>" in a Baltimore reception just to see what would happen sooooo... my experience is very skewed.

Did anyone call?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AlexDeGruven posted:

In my interview, I admitted clearly that Google is my second brain.

It's not necessarily having all the answers on-hand all the time, because that's impossible and anyone telling you that they do is lying to you and/or themselves.

I think the key, at least for me, is admitting when you don't know or aren't sure of something and are willing to look it up to confirm/shore up your knowledge.

My favorite interview, even though I wasn't actually in on it, was the guy who said he had more than 25 years Linux experience. Not Unix, mind you. Specifically Linux, and even clarified it.

He also pronounced Nagios "nagaglios".

I usually pronounce it "Nah gonna check 50 bandwidth usage crits, fix your loving thresholds"?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

A few years ago a small mountain town in the middle of nowhere got hit by a hurricane and lost internet service. The entire uplink was some garbage 200mb wireless link serving a few dozen people at most.

The next day, the local tech arrived to investigate the hub and found...nothing. Just an empty concrete slab where the building used to be.

Was the satellite dish ok?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

klosterdev posted:

This little ISP built their hub out of straw

~12 years ago I was working IT at a lovely local telco. One of the telco guys and I had a running joke-narrative about how we were going to retire to Dominica, set up a satellite ISP, and train monkeys to lay fiber-optic cable around the island.

:sigh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I read posts like that and I’m worried that I no longer work in IT or some poo poo because I only understood like 30% of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

larchesdanrew posted:

y’all Why do I have to have this conversation with these people? Why is this a thing I have to specifically tell people not to do?

I mean, I agree with you but a lot of people are going to choose to own cats no matter what you or I may say?

:shrug: