Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A 4 month home computer nightmare is over. After my roommate's last computer bascially died (motherboard totally poo poo the bed) I and some friends ended up building him a new computer. Or rather, I salvaged what I could from the old one, friends bought a new motherboard and CPU and we tried to get it going.

Nothing. No beeps even. Some time passes, we get a new motherboard, because the utter lack of any beeps usually signifies a motherboard failure. Hey, sometimes they're DOA, you know? New motherboard: exact same problem. No beeps even. So we figure it has to be the CPU. So I slam a new CPU in.

Nothing. Same drat results. So, JUST IN CASE, I put the newest CPU into the original replacement motherboard.

It goddamn works. I'm loving around in the bios, and then I see this in the options.

"BEEP ON STARTUP: DISABLED"

:suicide:

Some jackass decided to make that an option. Some other jackass decided to set it that way, or alternatively that was the default setting. Because of that, we wasted the price of a motherboard, a new case (because the second motherboard would not fit into the case we got), and a couple of months.

So, uh, hey guys. If I murder like, a whole bunch of people at the same time, do you think I'd get a bulk discount on my prison sentence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why wasn't this PC plugged into a monitor?

Sorry, I'd figured that went without saying. Of course it was, there was also no video.

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah also speaker failure

I thought about that, and after the first system failed to boot, I got one and plugged it into the speaker prongs on the motherboard. It still didn't beep. Neither did the second, for that matter.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Super Soaker Party! posted:

It's been literally 20 years since I've done that kind of testing with components (and I'm not that old - this was a computer camp when I was young, no I didn't play sports as a kid how did you know?), but boy do I remember beep codes. I mean I don't remember which code is which, because that would be spergalicious and I think also changes from board to board, I just remember testing components one by one and getting different codes. And then I remember five years later when someone showed me a POST code PCI board and I was like "well beep codes can just go ahead and gently caress right off because this is clearly superior".

So get a POST code thing, or buy a motherboard that has one built in (I think a bunch of high-end gaming ones do so you can see exactly what's loving up when you overclock it to 88 GHz in order to see some serious poo poo).

edit: this doohickey

I was not even aware these were a thing. I'm just used to getting a series of beeps and googling the motherboard and beep code info.

TBH, I took a crash course in computer repair back in high school, which was over a decade ago, and picked up the rest of what I know from loving around with my own computers. Really, I was just frustrated that that option was disabled, because it being such just wasted a whole bunch of time that didn't need to be wasted.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

Wires being in the wrong order can result in the weirdest network issues.

The time that I misordered my pairs on a Cat5 cable that I terminated for a home network run, I found that I could connect on chat programs (including AOL instant messenger and IRC) but not get to websites...

:stare:

But that...

Why would that matter? HOW would that matter?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I know proper linguists were involved in making that place, but I feel like using negative conjunctions is a recipe for disaster when dealing with a culture which is expected to have a weaker grasp of your language.

Hopefully they understand the word "danger" and bother reading that far.

I've always thought some form of pictogram would be ideal. Forget labeling what the danger is, that might make it more difficult for any sort of translation. If you seal something like that with multiple doors (and why wouldn't you?), having something like a picture of a human body nearby a smaller skeleton on the first door, and increasing the size of the skeleton relative to the person (with the final door being perhaps having just the skeleton) as a sort of symbolic "you are approaching danger/death", well that seems reasonably universal. If they're going to bust open that last door, then no warning you could've put down likely would've stopped them; you did your due diligence.