Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

nielsm posted:

Yeah, just another reminder that Spectre and Meltdown are privilege escalation attacks on the physical hardware. Unless the attacker is already capable of executing code on the same hardware as the target, there is no danger. So private hosted servers where all software is trusted, on all VM's, from hypervisor down to services, are no concern if there aren't other remote code execution attacks possible. (Unless the normal operation of the service involves downloading and executing untrusted code.)
Be concerned about services on public shared hosting/public clouds, and about clients running web browsers visiting untrusted sites.

That's my take on the security implications.

But attacks through JavaScript are possible (Edge/Explorer, FireFox, Safari and Chrome are all being updated to make this harder), so any computer used to browse the web is currently vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

RedMagus posted:

How much will I hate my life if I try to learn Salesforce? They're looking for someone to use it as a Customer Resource Management tool, run reports for invoices and track projects. It seems like a trap, but not sure how much worse it would be compared to helldesk.

Learn to code for salesforce instead of being a service monkey. IT to BizApps is a decent move, but IT to report-runner is going to kill you.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

A lot of tickets came in. We're having a snowstorm in Louisiana. Everyone decided they need VPN access TODAY despite us telling them to do this constantly so we won't get flooded with this poo poo during an actual "emergency".

:stare:

So you guys got a 1/8 of an inch of snow?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

This looks and sounds like they tried to backtrack and go "no, really, it's not as bad as we said!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

@ssW0rd

Nobody will ever guess it, because nobody ever leaves the P off of Password!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Elizabethan Error posted:

grounding creates a stable field. not that it matters in this case since there's huge holes in the middle of the cage.

It's still going to block 90% of the signal.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti cameras are weird because there's about 3 of them and they don't work with anything that isn't Ubiquiti's own software. I don't know why you'd buy them over any of the Onvif-supporting vendors that compete in the same price bracket.

Unless you're one of those people pining for Ubiquiti to make everything so you can buy it from them, which is why they're now making PoE-powered lights and switches. I just can't see them doing anything that comes close to providing long-term support for that sort of product.

EdgeRouter stuff, Wi-Fi, point-to-point wireless, go hog wild. But I can't find compelling reasons to be interested in any of the other things they make.

Do I need to go into another rant about the clusterfuck that us UBNT's camera system? Because I can do it again, if people still want to use their camera system. After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sheep posted:

Are the switches that bad? I don't really have any gripes with my EdgeRouter X aside from the terrible CLI syntax.

The switches were still in development when I left, so I don't know.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please do. I bought a couple Ubiquiti switches, USG, and cloud key, thinking that I'd probably need them to power and control their special snowflake cameras.
I haven't bought the cameras yet.

So, when I was doing tech support for UBNT, there were four of us doing support for them, total. This was... 5-6 years ago. Their camera system and their TUFF Cable were our bane, as tickets about them NEVER ended well.

At the time, the Camera team was a bunch of people in Lithuania, and the NVR team were in the USA. These guys basically didn't talk to eachother. The cameras wanted to stream video, and the NVR wasn't even a dedicated NVR, it was just a software package you installed on a standard PC. So if you had more than a couple cameras set to record at once, you would only get SOME of the video because the cameras would fight over the connection to the computer, and the NVR didn't care, it just recorded whatever made it through the network bottleneck.

This was a known issue, and had been for several YEARS. Their solution was to start designing their new NVR box, rather than figuring out how other security camera systems worked.

But during this multi-year period they kept selling these cameras as security camera systems, and we would constantly get people emailing in saying "Hey, I need some video for legal reasons and I can't find it..." and our response was "If you can't find it, it's not there, this system doesn't work with more than 3 or maybe 4 cameras at once".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Farts posted:

People connecting to our webapp from Arkansas are getting timeouts every now and then.

Please check their network and see where the latency issues are.

That's all the information I've been given, I pushed back to at least get a phone number or an IP address, twice, while still getting daily annoyances about this issue.

Management "Well people in California don't see this kind of latency so it must not be an issue with the network traffic! Stuff from farther away works so stuff closer must work better right?"

We have something similar going on with a VPN from India to California. My boss has been cussing a blue streak over the India people refusing to answer the questions he asks and demanding that he just "fix the problem". This has been going on for three YEARS, but the people in India have decided that a recent shutdown of our server room for electrical work must have changed something, so we obviously just need to change it back to fix the problem.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

So, I just discovered that our cheapass ticketing system (FreshService) has a "feature" that automatically recognizes attachments that are containers and opens those containers so you only see the content files attached to the ticket.

That means that it, say, unzips a .zip file.

Or it takes an Outlook email that is attached to a ticket and turns it into .txt and .html files.

So when I need a user to give me an email that they think is a phishing email, and I need to LOOK AT THE HEADER INFO.... I can't see the header info, because the loving ticketing system stripped that info from the attachment without saying anything.

And of course there is no way to turn this helpful feature off.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

Please report that "feature," my company has adopted FreshService for asset management and I'm concerned we might pick up the ticketing system, too.

Already did, it got escalated to engineering pretty drat fast.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The answer to "I wasn't made aware of this" is "You were, and it's not my job to handhold you through reading the information you are given."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Something about that Meeting smelled fishy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I have evolved. The last 8 tickets in a row have resolved themselves with my mere proximity to the affected devices.

Bow, peons.

This is how I have always been. I call it my Magic IT Aura.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My Grandma was born in Semen, Ohio.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I didn't ask for that, and I'm not paying for it!

But it adds a different, unique flavor to each box!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Nope, it was just the 1 2 3 wires that were out of order, no involvement on 6.

Also when we made these we tested every one to make sure it was properly punched.

Wires being in the wrong order can result in the weirdest network issues.

The time that I misordered my pairs on a Cat5 cable that I terminated for a home network run, I found that I could connect on chat programs (including AOL instant messenger and IRC) but not get to websites...

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Rorac posted:

:stare:

But that...

Why would that matter? HOW would that matter?

Basically I had them as 1,2,3,4,5,6 on one end, and 1,2,4,3,5,6 on the other end. Or something like that.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

To stop eating so many sausages.

My heart tells me to eat more sausages. Gotta die young so I don't need to worry about saving for retirement.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680

I have dealt with the exact same thing

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The marketing department at my job is day drinking all day every day.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

suuma posted:

User, 4 months ago: Hi we have these issues with your software
Me, 3 months and 3 weeks ago: Okay, I've found resolutions for your issues. Can we reconnect so I can deploy?
User, yesterday: :supaburn: Students arrive Thursday and we need these issues fixed, we told you about them in May!! :supaburn:
Me: :saddowns:

"We had the fix in May. Your lack of follow-through is not an emergency on my part."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I was just reminded of a multi-part fuckup on the part of Desktop Support a couple of years ago. I get a ticket for a printer that went super faint on all the output after changing the toner cartridge. I arrange access, since it's in a secure area.

I get there and the first thing I see is the transfer roller sitting on the table next to the printer. That should be inside the printer ! So I pull the toner cartridge to replace the roller, and while I have the toner cartridge I pull the tape out, because of course that's what it was.

The printer is up and printing fine, but it's not on the network when I have someone do a test print. Check the configuration, and it looks like someone reset it to factory defaults. Asking around, it turns out they've had three Deskside techs come out.

#1 - Installed the toner cartridge, didn't pull the tape.
#2 - Did some mental gymnastics that led to removing a part and not putting it back.
#3 - Didn't notice the part Just loving Sitting There, reset it to defaults, threw up their hands, and escalated to my group.

All three of those techs are FTEs and make more than I, a lowly contractor, do.

Desktop Support shouldn't be trying to fix a printer! gently caress printers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

nominal posted:

I did 8 years as a consumer cable tech for Comcast and I literally still have nightmares.

3 years as an ISP tech support person for Verizon had me writing a suicide note at 2am, before I realized that something was seriously wrong with my head. After getting out of the hospital, I wasn't able to talk on a phone for almost four years without MASSIVE anxiety.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Actually, yes. If you live in or around Dayton, OH send me a PM and I can send you our internal recruiter's email address.

I am so sorry that you live and work in Ohio. Especially in Dayton.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

For what little it may be worth, being a Minecraft server runner is a thankless task further complicated by the god-awful code written by Notch.

Fixed that for you

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Update: I got someone to tell me the password and made sure it was set corr correctly and now it's working

dumbest solution is king yet again

"No, I didn't do *x* from my computer. IT knows what my password is, I bet one of them did it."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Javid posted:

The person who sent out all the warning emails would get a flurry of people who just replied with their login info and the new password they wanted like "can you just take care of it?"

Sadly, we don't just summarily void the exposed login info when they do that, so they won't learn. :(

"Thank you, I have added that password to our blocked list. It can now never be used by anyone on any of our systems. Thank you for helping us boost our security."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Please beam twitch directly into my brain so I can not be so bored all day at work.

Why would watching other people play games make you LESS bored?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

The 'shouldn't exist' part is correct. I don't think Ubiquiti have ever had those phones working, and still don't know what their plans are. Reading their forums there are people who seem to not accept that something can exist unless it's made by Ubiquiti so you get weird requests for them to bring out their own range of UPSes.

Do I need to once again reiterate my horror story of being one of Ubiquiti's 4 tech support about 5 years ago?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

It's like how I still sometimes say 'string' for $ because of BASIC variable naming rules, or how octothorpe is hashtag now because of LISP (plus twitter)

At least I don't have to program in C-Hashtag anymore.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I have had the same search in Outlook minutes apart return different results. And that's for my mailbox, not a shared one. Have you tried looking for the emails in question, without searching?

Exchange shared mailboxes are a dumpster fire at the best of times.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Make them another account named "stupid_and_short".

stupid_and_float

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PremiumSupport posted:

stupid_and_bool

Why would you convert a long into a bool? You make no sense.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, uploading letters isn't exactly rocket science, now is it

If we turn email into a 3 body problem, I will cheer. gently caress email.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Unsolvable and infuriating to try?

Exactly, so we stop using the stupid antique system and get a new communication standard with problems that aren't 30 years old.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Data Graham posted:

As long as we're on the subject of annoying personal tics of coworkers, how about people who refuse to make any effort to pronounce people's names properly if they don't conform to some kind of mayonnaise-and-wonder-bread standard.

The scrum master on my project has been working with this team for over 3 months now and he still has no idea how to pronounce any of the Indian team members' names. This entire time he has pronounced Hari like "Harry". Apparently he (or someone else) finally called him on it in the last few days, because on a call today he said "Harry—wait, HAH... uh, how was it you wanted it to be pronounced?" Hari goes "HAH-ree". "OK, HAH-ruh, got it. Anyway,"

Someone else on the team is named Srilekha, which might give him pause the first time or two, I can understand, sure. And it took him a couple of weeks before he got the sequence of syllables more or less right, evidently by buckling down and paying super close attention to it for once. But for TWO MONTHS now he has bulldozed through every single daily meeting by getting to her name and going "Sri-LEEK-haaaahhh", in this "golly shucks, someone actually has a name like this! Don't that beat all!" kind of voice. Which is almost worse than inexplicably inserting letters into perfectly clear names he obviously is reading right off a nice bright screen right in front of him, or calling Gayatri "Gayatruh" every single time or whatever

uuhghhghh

I have a bad habit of pronouncing words as I read them, and being terrible with peoples names. But I also don't care what people call me. Names are just a nice easy way to indicate who you are speaking about or to, making them more important than that is just kind of silly. As long as someone isn't trying to insult you with how you say it, it doesn't hurt anyone to just roll with it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

duz posted:

So when someone corrects you, you ignore them?

No, I'll try and adjust. I'm not an rear end in a top hat. But they may have to correct me a few times before I get it correct regularly.

On the other hand, very few people here ever correct anyone on how their name is pronounced. Most people with non-european names in the USA just assume that americans are going to say their name wrong and either roll with whatever people say, or pick an americanized name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

"I'm not an rear end in a top hat" is at odds with every other part of this post.

How? I'm not asking them to take an americanized name, and I make a good effort to change my pronunciation if I am corrected. It's not an issue unique to americans, I have several vietnamese coworkers who cannot say my name correctly, and I just roll with it. Some languages don't use some sounds or combinations of sounds, and they can be difficult to train yourself to say, so sometimes people just find it to be easier to go by something that is kind of close.