Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Motronic posted:

I guess you haven't run across enough browser history/save folders/etc to exceed the capacity of any eye bleach to ever unsee. That'll fix you right on up.

Fortunately, no. I haven't had to support desktops since before best buy had a geek squad

and in all jobs, poking in a users stuff like that was verboten, because of the risk of something confidential being saved there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

dragonshardz posted:

Exactly.

Oh my god, the number of times I've had to tell a user we don't need their current password in order to reset it, and please for the love of all that is holy don't send it to us by email.

At my last job I watched the SOC and a client go back and forth like 5 times. The client sent us a password to a thing, SOC saw it, stepped in, reset/expired the password, informed the customer, who immediately sent us what they changed the password to.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's like when you do IT for a place with on-site servers and all the power cuts out, nobody has anything to do except IT who suddenly have a bunch of racks and UPSes to care for.

this made me twitch thinking about generator cutovers

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

That's a shocking amount of detail for what usually happens with that sort of thing.

I'd have expected "The numbers that aren't the numbers but are the other numbers" from most people.

Honestly if they know that much detail about it but can't remember "netmask" that seems more like a brain fart than anything else.

Is it called a "netmask' in hindi? Because the issue is translation

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

gently caress their issue tracking then, hey?

Your issue tracking is done in email instead of a dedicated ticketing/issue tracking system?

Because just copy/pasting the update into the ticket is trivial, and if you get such volume of slack based stuff that it becomes a time sync, write a plug-in

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

Ah, missed that bit. Either way, it looks really close if google translate is to be trusted, and it makes sense that it would be a cognate:

नेटमास्क
netamaask

Still though, I missed that part. Sorry.

Tbh my immediate reaction to it was "use a translator app for the technical words" too, so same page anyway

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Given how much people in this thread rail against people who don't open tickets, "just copy paste it into a ticket" is quite the hypocritical take.

Also you conveniently missed this part, I guess:

Yup, missed the actively not opening a ticket, my bad. Thats pretty bullshit.

Just thinking about all the tickets I have worked through teams or webex or whatever chat the client preferred, and the fact that I have nevet had a problem with a simple task that I would have to do when they called me instead of pming me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

I like the one tHat presses shift every 59 secoNds.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Some companies just don't care about the money if they get the results the want/need, and that can including hoovering everything that comes near.

I'm aware of one colo DC that hoovers data off their guest network, so even your own devices can be iffy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

GreenNight posted:

Have you seen his posts?

Oof.

Also, her

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I set my phone hotspot to iphone [VIRUS DETECTED]. Initially I thought it was funny then I had about 10 different family members freak out that there phones got "hacked".

At least in my family poo poo like this is a great chance to educate them. Ofc, that counts on them being able to laugh at themselves for the initial freak out

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

I'm BigBootyJudy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Didn't someone in this thread have a c-word email a while back?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Bob Morales posted:

Had to load a csv of users for an Indian company we were working with. Holeee poo poo. That guys name was a middle of the pack example

These don't factor in people with quite a few names. The most extreme I have encountered in person had 15 names, and a fair expectation that anything calling for his full name used his FULL name.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

DelphiAegis posted:

I deal with similarly long names on the regular as well. It's never an easy solution on either side of the coin.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/1...ve-about-names/

The correct approach is to be assigned an username and email address based solely on your employee ID, which should be a character string that has nothing to do with your identity. If you want an email address that is more personal than that, reach out to the email admins about adding an alias(intake paperwork should actually ask for preferred email addresses to automate this)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

CaptainJuan posted:

Devs made a button in our customer app that does nothing but reply "okay, thanks" to a message

lol

If you mean so they can one hit confirm things in tickets, I wish that was more common so customers would just acknowledge without adding commentary that might confuse things.

I have had co-workers see some extraneous comment in a "thanks for the update" email that sends them down a dark path of making changes the customer didn't actually want til a month later because of those and our society's profound lack of reading comprehension

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

Do you not run your ticketing system on youtube? All users must submit a video when they want something and tag us, and the comments serve as the journal.

This would be an awesome ticketing system, but only if the comments were open for any rando to read/write in

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

I honestly do think a model that allows people to see a ticket and join in so you are actively helping a larger group at once, with elements of users being able to escalate themselves if enough people sign on has its benefits.

Then I remember what people did to the internet

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Doesn't work amazingly well on github issues, and that's a relatively well-behaved group of users. But yeah, in an ideal world.

Its one of those things that I want to say can't make anything worse than a normal ticket system, but that assumes everyone is acting in good faith and not just causing chaos for fun.

The other downside I can see doing that for an internal system is "helpful" employees who are "good at computer" spending all their time surfing issues "helping" other employees.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Kyrosiris posted:

Isn't that just "I'M GONNA GO CRY TO MY SALES REP!!!!" though?

I was thinking more of the "get enough likes and it goes to the manager" thing. Its less "I need special treatment" and more "a bunch of people think this needs your attention, pay attention"

E: poo poo, if you have worked any kind of customer service you know that public facing stuff gets auto-escalated anyway. I'd rather it take more than one person screaming to get a reaction

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 14, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

One place I have worked actually had their ticketing system notify you when you made a ticket, and notified your direct manager too. If they clicked on a button in the email, it notified their manager and bumped the priority. I think there were no more than six clicks possible before the CEO got an email about it.

I worked a place that did automated escalation based on SLA breaches, all the way to the CEO. I think the SLA had to be breached by like a month for that to happen, but it was technically possible

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Canuck-Errant posted:

To be fair they probably don't understand printers either

does anyone?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

I used to joke with users that I carried around a hammer in my back pocket so the computers knew what was up.

My joke was that I had thrown computers out 2nd story windows before when they pissed me off, and they knew that I wasn't afraid to do it again

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Dirt Road Junglist, buddy, you're usually right on but in this case you seem to be taking the wrong view for some weird reason. No one's disputing (or should be disputing) that reading my posts through every last word of them will take an absurd shitload of time and it probably does NOT make sense to put in the effort to read all six thousand words. But it's quite clear that I've done my best to extract every last moment of attention out of the Something Awful reader, which means providing the absolute maximum I can get away with in every area of my posts and doing my best to prevent any ideas or attempts not to treat my posts as the essential utility they are. Notwithstanding the billions and billions of words I as a longposter have put into the posting box which you then just skipped over (the 200+ words a few posts up being one of the most egregious), or the myriad of emptyquotes additional posters have filed to fight every single person like you who's ever floated the idea of shorter posts (usually with the absurd claim that it would be "a lot of scrolling" for them), the biggest argument against your statements is that posters from every other modern Western country HAVE quoted my major posts, and if it WERE just about longscrolling, we would have fewer posters by now emptyquoting my dense literary efforts. Sure, I have SOME brevity, in SOME posts, but there's a whole lotta big posts where brevity either isn't available at all or is available only in certain paragraphs. Friend of mine reads my posts from Silicon Valley right near Google - does he get shorter posts? Nope! In a dense posting history with 10 million letters and one of the bigger wordcounts in the thread (my last post, not the one from a week ago, the one a week ago is actually quite small), where the average wordcount is in the 6 digits, you can't loving get shorter posts to your screen, because there's no competition and I'm not offering it.

(OK I think that's enough also I have actual work to do)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Shugojin posted:

My internet is really slow can you send someone out to look at the physical connection?

"Let me just look here well it looks like there's almost no usage at all" turns out she never connected the devices to the router in 5 months

I've had more than one person ask me to look and see if I can tell why their internet is slow, and it turns out their only devices are all cellular and they never realized they had to switch off the cellular network by joining the wifi. They had internet, they just didn't understand the mechanisms that delivered it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

My dad did this today. It was fun to try explain that he had to turn off his wifi connection when the broadband was down, even though he had mobile data on.

I actually sorta understand this, people are just used to it automagically switching when they are in range of the wifi, and tbf, the ability to detect when wifi is failing to deliver internet and fail over to cellular is fairly common nowadays(my last 3 phones have done it, tho I think the oldest one had it added in an android update)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Renegret posted:

I interviewed for an IT job at a local credit union and I struggled to figure out what they actually did all day since everything was outsourced.

Even trouble calls in the same building were outsourced to a 3rd party.

I worked for a hosting company that outsourced all their support operations, but still had an in-house team that literally just answered phones/tickets, then opened other tickets to the appropriate 3rd party. who then logged into our internal systems to do the thing.

it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen, and was clearly a call center to appease a manager who didn't want to manage skilled workers

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

That is a super weird vibe to give in an interview where you presumably want to person to take the job if offered it.

I've been in an interview before where I was told be being there was a formality because they were doing an internal hire, and policy required they do external interviews first.

At least they gave me a nice snack for my time

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

i am a moron posted:

Name and shame these garbage idiots

It was about 7 years ago, so don't remember, but they were a government contractor, which was why they had the external interview requirement.

It's really not an uncommon practice tho, any company that has a similar policy is going to do similar things. Sometimes that helpdesk guy deserves to be promoted to sysadmin but you can't legally just do it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Interesting fact:

They have found that the internet has actively changed the structure of younger brains, because kids who grow up with the internet don't have the ability to memorize the same way older people do. Their/your/our brains are more optimized for understanding things contextually when fed the information from googling the answer

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

It's not out of the question. I'm ~40 and I first started using Slackware on a spare 486 in 1996 which is 24 years. If it was a recent interview and they started in '93 or so it's possible and not really THAT uncommon.

Edit: I started professional linux admin work at a small ISP in 1998 so I'm pretty close to being able to say 25 years professionally.

Yeah, linux came out in 94, off the top of my head, so 25 years is certainly doable, I've been playing with it for around that long. I know I booted my first slackware kernel off 2x3.25" floppies @720k each(double density existed but the disk images were only 720k)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

That's when you double down and say you were in the closed beta with Linus

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

bullshit hard enough and maybe you will get hired as management

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is just an acceleration of what writing already does to you. Pre-literate or semi-literate societies produce people with much better memories than literate ones.

Makes perfect sense, but basing someone's hireability on their ability to memorize stuff that actively makes your brain not memorize stuff anymore is kinda poo poo, don't you think?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

flatluigi posted:

do you have a source for this at all because this feels exactly like a chain email Fun Fact

Didn't go hunting for the actual studies involved, but here is Scientific American talking about it.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...sactive-memory/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Small Computer Set Interface.

Is what my brain says, firing ancient neurons that last had electricity through them in 1998.

I'm not going to look it up to see if I'm right because who gives a poo poo at this point, yeah SAS is SCSI over SATA but unless you work at a SAN manufacturer (or are that increasingly endangered animal known as a storage admin) you will never need to deal with SCSI in the modern world, aside from the very minor case of knowing you can only put 14 devices on a VM's virtual SCSI controller before you need to add another one.

edit: I succumbed to curiosity and looked it up, I'm wrong on one word but I literally could not care less.

I was gonna correct you, but I see my work is done

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Agrikk posted:

Saving throws aside, I agree with you.

I think it was 3E where you got an extra attack every +5 you had, so combat at high levels got stupid when you had +37 to hit.

And god help us with THAC0.

I dunno about based on your +s, but a buddy of mine roll a 2nd ed players option character that got 15 hits per round at +20/+20 before he got any magic gear.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Thomamelas posted:

Like someone who pre-buys crypto currency for this situation would put the wallet anywhere other than a share that gets hit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

I've never caused an outage.

I've hosed up a bunch in ways that would have been outages if they happened outside the maintenance window tho. Only had to extend the window because of my poo poo twice 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Gats Akimbo posted:

I've toasted the odd router/switch with a firmware update, but that's not my fault as such, it's on the manufacturers . And a client's DNS records got blanked moving to a new registrar, but I'd kept a backup so it was a trivial fix.

I did once manage to gently caress up and create a group policy that would have locked out all admin accounts (I think - it was something similarly ghastly), but I managed to realise that before I logged out of the one I was logged in on and reversed it.

I'm a fanatical documenter and backer-up of settings and it's been a godsend over the years.

I'm pretty fanatic about making sure I 100% understand the commands I am issuing, particularly after mirroring a new drive in the wrong direction and wiping the partition table on the old production drive