Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Canuck-Errant posted:

So I just received an email stating that the government is now using an "Agile Procurement Process" to find a new HR/pay system. How worried should I be?

The government has one standard for these things: What is the cheapest system that meets the major requirements, other requirements be dammed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a reply-all chain happen from a recruiter email. Dude forgot to BCC people and instead CC'd them, and some smart rear end hit reply all and proceeded to poo poo all over the dude because of a mistake.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been making GBS threads my resume and poo poo all over the internet the last couple of weeks. My default setting is 32 CHARACTERS OF gently caress YOU for KeePass.

If you won't let me use this, I get really annoyed at you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Merijn posted:

:allears: What does the 'high ANSI characters' thing add? Emojis?

This is what it spit out as an example:
dGHPôjÍK´þ1©¹¹nNàýÚû I¾¿û©Qů{À¡

So pretty much "gently caress all your attacks."

And no, I'm not going to use that. I generated that one for the sole purpose of demonstrating it here :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Super Soaker Party! posted:

And.....365's web presence appears to be down. Back-end infrastructure seems fine, sending/receiving email etc., but the portals are not accessible due to a DNS error.

:bravo:

Ah DNS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question: Do you with Apple shops have problems with worms?

:dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Entropic posted:

Several Hundred Tickets Came In...

Wait, are you saying it's NOT DNS this time? :thunk:

:v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ghostlight posted:

Just for historical documentation, my issue with the HP laptops turned out to be the Intel Wireless drivers and the magic of Windows 10.

The HP Zbooks shipped with the last known good drivers, 20.9*, and as soon as you turned them on with internet access - or reimaged them - they would download the latest drivers, 20.100, with which this has been a known issue since last December. The secret sauce turned out to be specifically rolling back the driver in Device Manager (wow, I didn't even know this feature existed) or downloading the yet-to-be-published by Microsoft or HP 20.120 drivers from Intel.

At least it wasn't DNS.

It's always DNS.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No joke though, once at a prior job I was having internet issues. None of my neighbors were.

Guess what resolved the problem?

You guessed it, flushing the DNS cache.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kurieg posted:

Uhh.. without @ being a valid character wouldn't all e-mail addresses fail that test?

Not necessarily. You can log into google as "<GOOGLE ID>" or "<GOOGLE ID>@gmail.com". It still takes you to gmail. Of course, that assumes that the email domain is going to be the same.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Entropic posted:

768 copies of the same Ticket came in...

Fix your email notifications Telus, Jesus Christ.

Just lol if you think isps will care

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wrote a little webdev applet way back when. Forgot the specific purpose, but the only time the password was in plain text after the log-in button was pressed was when it was being passed from the password box to the hash function. After that it was compared to the hashed version in the database.

I don't get how these people are so lazy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AlexDeGruven posted:

I get resume pings all the time like this. Moderate to large shops wanting IT in a box for less than $80k.

It's a wonder some of these places are still in business, let alone able to field an it staff for more than a few days at a time.

They're in the food industry, the industry that has lobbied heavily to keep server minimum wages below 3/hr nationally.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh man the call center at my old job was the pile of sensitive flowers. If you were in the call center as someone who didn't explicitly work in that area but 100% quiet, you'd get yelled at, no joke.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A ticket came in:
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1104076504751837186
Citrix got nailed by Iran years ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*files ticket*

I need prod access, thanks and gods bless.

*marks it extremely low priority*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in: We'd like to virtualize this one really memory and processor hungry app 225 times.

:aaa:

But why?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

suuma posted:

Heck yeah an after-hours text from my boss with some bad news about the likelihood a new hire will be leaving us and then another that says "please don't quit"

Tell them "well, about that raise..."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TinTower posted:

Not as impressive as the vim exit% speedrun :colbert:

What about the emacx exit%?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

Shame about the lack of a good editor.

:hfive:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who has worked on a BIOS on the code level (as in actually writing the code that makes it up), they are voodoo.

Well documented voodoo (seriously, the rule was "if you think you've commented enough, go back and add more comments"), but voodoo none the less. I'm talking pointer to a pointer to a pointer voodoo.

One of my proudest moments was introducing a segfault into the code.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mllaneza posted:

Oh, an HP engineer.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The result of 50,000 man hours of 'there it works, now don't loving touch it. Don't even so much as breathe at it funny, because we have no idea how or why it works, and at this point we're too terrified of it to try and determine that.'

I know you two jest, but it was actually legitimate comments instead of "DO NOT REMOVE". Most of the dark magic voodoo was in the bits and pieces of assembly code in the very early stages of the boot process. Thankfully I never had to touch it, nor did I think any of my coworkers.

Ok, we could put "DO NOT REMOVE" in the comments for some really hacky code that shouldn't really have been there, but we'd have to explain the edge cases similar to what Data Graham ran into.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BadMedic posted:

Fantastic.

For actual content:
A ticket came in: A customer was complaining our product does not work at it's advertised distances.

For some background, one of our products uses coax cable, and can run off of quite long distances of it.

After spending a day of internal testing trying to find this distance issue, the customer finally reveals they are attaching 6db signal attenuators to their cables.

Well no poo poo you can't reach advertised distances if you cut the signal strength by 4 times.

What the hell were they hoping to accomplish with the attenuators? :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hungry Computer posted:

A new meaning to on-disk DLC. Imagine if it did work like that though, as in SSDs were locked to HDD level performance unless you pay for a license or subscription.

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A screwy one

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

In my experience failing PSUs are one of the biggest sources of heisenbugs because of all the subtle ways that the other hardware can be fixed.
It's gotten to the point that "It's always the PSU" for helldesk/sysadmin is the equivalent of "It's always DNS" for network admins.

back at the shop where I worked on BIOS stuff, power supplies were the bane of our existance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At my most recent tech job, for whatever reason, my IM login never worked. I'd be showing offline to well over half the company, and a lot of messages sent to me would be dropped.

They never fixed it in the 7-8 months I was there, once.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

I shouldn't be trusted with the mass modify button but man, it's just so addicting to close 30 tickets with a single click.

All as "WONTFIX", right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nielsm posted:

Roman numeral D = 500, it's SystemD.

Strong avatar post combo :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

I have spent so much effort stopping people putting the units in spreadsheet columns that I just don't bother now and they can enjoy not being able to manipulate the data in any way.

Guess none of those people took a modern science class where graphs were part of the report you needed to do.

Or maybe they did and forgot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

:aaaaa:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

stevewm posted:

Yep.. from 2007 onward I believe... The "x" formats, i.e. docx, xlsx, etc... are actually zip files. Open a DOCX in something like 7Zip and you'll see some sub folders and XML files. The actual content of the document itself is inside the "Word" folder as document.xml with formatting, styles, etc.. stored in other files.

On a side note, I recently got sent a Apple .pages file to open from HR. Someone submitted their resume in this format. Absolutely nothing seems to support opening this format, not even LibreOffice which usually supports everything.

I knew they were XML files at their core, but I didn't know about the fact you could unzip them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

People who don't submit documents as PDFs don't deserve the job anyway

I'm with you here.

And then recruiting agencies: "WE NEED IT IN WORD DOC". Piss off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kensei posted:

Wait your security department is actively deploying multiple A/V agents at the same time? Isn't that like terribad?

Isn't most A/V software actually worthless? Or at least at the home consumer level I've heard that, no clue on the business side of things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If by storage, you mean THE CLOUD butt. :yayclod:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

A laptop will be hosed after four years

Oh come on.

I give the average user 2 weeks before they gently caress it up somehow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Virigoth posted:

Chat is a scourge upon the workplace. People expecting instant responses are the worst. Even worse is the group known as the “hi” people. All of the chat options are just varying degrees of bad. Just like antivirus

Hmm... yes. I totally want to walk over to a more senior dev, ask them for advice on how to do something, have to write it down, then come back and implement it, as opposed to asking them on chat, getting a response there, not having to get up, and having it logged for future reference incase I lose my written notes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nth Doctor posted:

I'll admit I'm guilty of the IM with a bare greeting. Usually I start typing my question just afterward, but I could do a better job about that. :shobon:

I'd usually go, "Hey, question for ya!" and then send my question on the next message.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Merv Burger posted:

Why am I not surprised Verizon was involved with this?

Because it was them, Comcast, AT&T, or Spectrum.

You had 1/4 odds there.