Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Those are funny ways of spelling CenturyLink.

They have a lot less to gain by bringing the wrath of Amazon upon them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Woke up this morning to about 3x the normal number of overnight emails. Turns out every one of my deployment servers decided to report the outage, in triplicate.

:rip:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:jebstare:

The Fool posted:

I do not miss that portion of my early career

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CollegeCop posted:

Day 1 of using Teams instead of Skype for Business

It's new.

It's different.

I hate it.

If you need me, I'll be outside yelling at clouds.

:sadclod:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Full on CS degree here, self taught bash. Powershell wasn't a thing then either!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The servers at my old job were on prem. Then again, it was health care stuff so it makes a lot more sense to remove a variable when it came to HIPAA stuff.

When I first started they were having cooling issues, so they went up to the cooling units and found the vents clogged with plant debris :v:

(gently caress that place otherwise)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

We have a new piece of equipment that, whenever it reboots, it sends a high temperature alert for 65535 degrees C.

It's great, because you can tell who in the NOC is paying attention. There are 3 kinds of people.

1) Those who forward the alert in all sincerity, thinking nothing's weird.

2) Those who read the alert and say, hmm something doesn't seem right, what with this router being 10x hotter than the sun and all. And, you know, 2^16.

3) Those who have paid attention to the conversation for the past 3 months and know that this is due to the device rebooting.

I'd even be satisfied with option 2, because at least it shows people are at least paying attention. But no. People paying attention here are few and far between.

The fact that they set the starting max temp to -1 instead of you know, ZERO, makes me cringe.

Actually wait, that's probably what happened:

What's happening is this: The max temp is stored in a 16 bit register. 0xFFFF is -1 in signed integer math (I've abused this before, it's fun). Ok, that's not as bad upon further reflection. It's unlikely that the highest recorded temp will be in the negatives, and setting it as an impossibly low value is par for course with max recorded value registers. Whoever wrote the "check the temp register" IS ASSUMING IT'S UNSIGNED INSTEAD OF SIGNED.

WHY

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 22, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:ughh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pretty much.

-Signed, former QA person.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When Gmail didn't have read receipts, my company wrote an extension to add them :v:

Gmail: We say it's Enterprise Ready! What that means is up to you!

Google is 100% Enterprise Ready!

Only if your enterprise is actually google.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone post the DNS haiku.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

Someone e-mailed me a screenshot of an expired SSL cert. I sat there clicking the "close" button in the screenshot and wondered why it wasn't closing.

It's me. I'm the idiot user.

I've caught myself watching LPs of games I've played personally and trying to change the camera angle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, this comes from my dad:

Dad: *gets email from <COMPANY> asking him to log in somewhere, junks it and reports it, advises others to do the same, as it reads like a phishing email*

A few hours later

IT: hey all, we just signed up for a new VIOP service, it's <COMPANY>. You should have gotten an email asking you to log in to it to set things up!

Dad: send that email first, next time...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Arquinsiel posted:

I've noticed a lot of people know either Ctrl + C or Ctrl + X but not both. I very rarely use Ctrl + X myself unless I have a huge list and need to track which ones I have left to action but also don't need the list to remain intact.

Ctrl-X is useful in a chat situation where you start typing something, the other person says something, and you wanna respond right away to the new message.

Also when you wanna shift your code around.

Still waiting on that prod access.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone needs to modify :itwaspoo: to be "test result: it was DNS"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alighieri posted:

A flood of tickets came in. The vendor for a service we use made some changes to their network which has caused the entire service to stop responding to requests. Happy day after thanksgiving to me as I setup a mass email to clients using said service telling them there is no ETA on when it will be back up and how to disable it in our software suite for a temporary workaround.

It's a DNS issue

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sickening posted:

Is that an otter?

Wondering that same thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

Just because you did that, doesn't mean it's not DNS.

:hmmyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had to reformat my pi hole today. Guess what went wrong!

DNS issues due to new internet, and given that's all I used it for, annoying but nothing of value lost.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kensei posted:

My boss gave his notice on the 30th. They called and offered me his job on the 31st.

:yotj:

Nice

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Back at an old shop, someone had a post it with "Windows XP Support ends on <date>"

I never understood why until I had to make an XP Embedded image.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My favorite is people who refuse to shut their computers down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

duz posted:

That's why you never use the word reboot, you tell them to power off and let it sit for 30 seconds for the electricity to come to a stop and then turn it back on again. They'll believe that, for some reason.

I mean, giving the capacitors time to discharge means this isn't entirely wrong :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Methanar posted:

both programming and software development are bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038