Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fyi, larches, your job sounds a lot like my job as retail management. I've got a million projects to do but not enough time to work on them. But oh, we're fully staffed at least to help customers so we won't be bringing in more people but I still have to get a bunch of major overhauls done in the next week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it. Tell them it's none of their concern.

e: Wait, that might be going in the wrong direction

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Okay why has everyone apparently decided that "cyber" now means exclusively "cybersecurity"?

Wait, really? That's a thing now? Because when I hear "cyber" the first thing I think of is 2000 era chat rooms and hot singles in my area.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Load bearing vga. I see grover decided to go into IT.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

:murder:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

cat o'five tails?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

A ticket came in:

Professor says the keyboard in the classroom works on everyone's account except his.

:what:

My student worker updated the ticket:

I tried several keyboards and USB ports and they work on everyone's account but his.

:raise: gently caress it, just reimage the computer after class

Did they check filterkeys?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't know Comcast contracted out to Abbott and Costello

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

You've seen those recent Google Assistant demos right? It bought it's own account. :tinfoil: Now instead of searching forums for answers to queries, it'll just make an account and post directly.

That's going to be it's downfall.

"Google, can you schedule me a haircut on -"

"NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I learned tonight that it is an absolute travesty that this dude sometimes gets 100 ping in fortnite and just how can you expect him to play games with that awful latency, it's 2018 video games are a goddamned human right.

This is going to be my "bitching about gamers" thread now, hope ya'll don't mind.

Seriously, I do have other problem or dumb callers sometimes but the gamers are the most grating and most entitled.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 27, 2018

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Our ticketing system went down so we talked to our internal IT where they told us to put in a ticket.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Hey buddy, I understand you've been having problems for 4 days but this ticket you put in is dated today and it's first come first serve.

I actually took care of it but that's because I saw the case after the phones closed while skimming through cases for stuff I can fix without the resident, buried in a bunch of other tickets all put in today.

Sometimes I wonder if people don't want to call in because they feel if it's a dumb issue or already being worked on we'll get mad or something but that's just me projecting since they then turn around and start bitching at our tier 1 that they've been down for days so it can't be anything like anxiety or shame

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

TITANKISSER69 posted:

₲¤¤₴£€

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

PremiumSupport posted:

Unfortunately with default Windows 10, this doesn't actually do what we all expect it to do. Powering down just hibernates the system, it doesn't even reset the uptime counter. To actually reset the contents of memory and give the system a fresh start, you have to select "reboot" from the power menu. I'm sure there's a setting or registry entry that can change this behavior though.

I believe this is the Fast Startup feature, you can disable it in the Define Power buttons menu (it's just a checkbox).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Doing support largely for college kids home internet I've learned to be extremely specific. "So if you look at your router, one end is plugged into the blue port labeled internet and the other end is running and plugged into the walljack, is that correct?"

I mean, as long as their giving an effort, still periodically get people who immediately say yes and then I force them to go get me information off the router or something and then suddenly it connects. "Okay, seems like you're working now, good bye"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

nielsm posted:

Can you somehow make switches isolate a port from the rest of the network until it's using an address handed to it by DHCP.

Cisco has a feature called IP Source Guard that looks at the DHCP Snooping binding table and drops non-dhcp packets if it's not there.

e:fb

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Managed to talk them into a higher position as a lead tech. :ohdear:

I’ll hear back in a few days :yotj:

That sounds promising! Just remember there are dozens of complete strangers in the internet that are rooting for you!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

All the hex letters can be reached by the left hand in it's normal position and the numbers with the numpad. The big advantage I can see with that is the colon so you don't have to move your hand for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

'lean back while i shove this usb cable into your nose'

'poo poo, gotta flip it over, let's try it again'