Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Usually for stuff like this, I highlight the best bits.
This is all best bits.

quote:

A 26-year-old internet entrepreneur faces up to 20 years behind bars in America, and a potential $250,000 fine, after attempt to steal a really not-very-good domain name.

While that may sound excessive, it was how Rossi Lorathio Adams II, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, tried to get hold of the internet address doitforstate.com that put him in trouble: he got his cousin to break into the home of the man who owned the domain name, and demanded he transfer it at gunpoint.

The armed robbery went wrong when the domain owner, Ethan Deyo, thought that the gunman, 43-year-old Sherman Hopkins, was going to kill him and fought back. In the ensuing struggle, Deyo was shot in the leg but managed to get hold of the gun and shot Hopkins several times in the chest before calling the cops. A year later, Hopkins was sent down for 20 years.

Full details of what happened and why emerged last week during a four-day trial in Iowa, and the story is even crazier than we reported previously. Back in July 2017, we were confused as to why anybody would go to such extraordinary lengths for an internet address. It turns out that Adams had become obsessed with getting hold of the domain in order to build up his business of clips of drunk people doing stupid things.

Adams set up a company called "State Snaps" while a student of Iowa State University, and built up over a million followers on social media channels – including Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter – by posting short videos of drunk students doing idiotic things, often while semi-naked. The university wasn't amused and asked him to cut it out but Adams – going by the handle "Polo" – refused and tried to build a business out of it by running events and selling T-shirts with phrases like "Probably Drunk" as well as a common Iowa university slogan that followers had started putting on his posts: "Do it for State!" As part of this effort, Adams trademarked the hashtag #DoItForState and tried to register the domain doitforstate.com, but it was already registered to another Iowan, Ethan Deyo, and so he had to settle for the name doit4state.com instead.

Adams became obsessed with getting hold of the full spelled-out domain name, and things slowly escalated. In June 2015, Adams turned up to Deyo's house unannounced and told him he wanted to buy the domain name. Deyo – who had also trademarked the domain name – didn't want to sell. Adams didn’t let up, though, and kept contacting Deyo and his brother Christopher about purchasing the name. When Deyo stopped responding to him, Adams got his business partner to start asking for the domain – while instructing him not to let Deyo know that they knew one another. That effort failed, too, after he said he wanted $20,000 for the name and Adams wasn't willing to pay it.

A trial jury this month heard that Adams got increasingly aggressive – at one point sending gun emojis to someone that used doitforstate.com to promote concerts (Adams was trying to set up his site as a concert promotional tool, too). Then, in May 2017, he again turned up unannounced at Deyo's house wearing a "State Snaps" T-shirt, and told Christopher Deyo: "I'm here for the name whatever it takes. I'm not leaving without it." Deyo told the court that Adams punched his hand, presumably in an attempt at intimidation, but he again refused to sell the dot-com.

It was at this point that Adams persuaded his cousin, convicted felon Sherman Hopkins who was living in a homeless shelter at the time, to get the name through force. The details are extraordinary. Adams took Hopkins and a friend of his – David Davis – to a Target store where Davis bought two burner phones so Hopkins and Adams could communicate during the break-in. It was an effort to cover his tracks.

Then, on June 21, 2017 – Hopkins broke into Deyo's house equipped with the phone, a taser and a handgun. He had pulled nylons over his head and was wearing sunglasses in an effort to mask his identity. When he spotted Deyo at the top of a staircase, Hopkins yelled, "Come here, motherfucker!" and ran after him, kicking in Deyo's bedroom door, grabbing him and dragging him to the home office where his computer was. Hopkins then pulled out a handwritten note – which detectives later found Adams' palm print on – that detailed how to move the domain from Deyo's GoDaddy account to Adams'.domain

It included Adams' email address and his GoDaddy account details – an account that had several other domains in. Hopkins then put the gun against Deyo's head and told him to follow the instructions. Deyo duly did so but he needed to put in a mailing address and phone number to carry out the transfer and asked Hopkins what to type in; a request that neither Adams or Hopkins had planned for. Hopkins became infuriated and hit Deyo several times in the head with the butt of his gun and repeatedly tased him.

But the transfer still needed an address and phone number so Hopkins called Adams on the phones they had bought and ended up putting Deyo on the phone with the man that had bugging him and his brother for two years for the domain and was now trying to steal it through force. Deyo told the court he immediately recognized Adams' voice.

Adams gave Deyo an address and phone number to type in but during the exchange, Hopkins became increasingly agitated and started hitting Deyo again. Deyo testified that Hopkins told him: "This better be right. You better do this right. You know who you stole from. If you go to the police or tell anyone about this I’ll be back for you." Then, according to Deyo, he cocked the gun and threatened: "If this isn’t right I’m going to blow your loving head off!" Deyo pushed the gun away from his head and a fight broke out. The gun went off and a bullet hit Deyo in the leg. Fearing for his life, Deyo kept fighting and managed to get hold of the gun, before shooting Hopkins several times in the chest. Deyo then called the police and when they turned up they found Hopkins bleeding in his house.

Despite the whole plan having gone horribly wrong, Adams still thought he was going to get the domain, and the day after the botched robbery called GoDaddy to ask what had happened to a domain name he was expecting to see turn up in his account. By then of course, the police were all over the situation. They had Adams' note including the email address – rj_mr_adams123@yahoo.com – and GoDaddy account number which, amazingly, wasn't an untraceable account but Adams' long-standing personal account with all of his contact details.

The police soon found their way to Adams and when he was interviewed admitted that the email address was his and that he had tried to buy the domain. He admitted that he had been to Deyo's house in the past. He denied knowing about the phones before admitting he had been with Hopkins and Davis at the Target store but didn't know what was in the bag that Davis came out with, before admitting that he did know what was in the bag and had in fact given Davis the $100 to buy the phones.

It wasn't a difficult case, and after only an hour's deliberation the jury returned with a guilty verdict for Rossi Lorathio Adams II for "conspiracy to interfere with commerce by force, threats, and violence." He will be sentenced later this year, and faces a fine of up to $250,000 and a maximum jail sentence of 20 years – the same as his cousin who carried out the robbery. Which should give them both plenty of time to learn about search engine optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I'll be honest, I would not be surprised if one of you relates an IT story where your boss hands you a gun.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If I am honest, there's some second gen Packard Bells that would probably have gotten a cap in their rear end if I were strapped.

I'd have been able to claim self defence as they drew first blood with their razor-edged cases.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That depend on whether HR/Legal finds out. You really wouldn’t like a nice afternoon in the sun paid to vent some frustration on old equipment? Better team building than trust falls.

If you think I am going to stand in a field while my colleagues wave arms around, then you have a lot more confidence in them that I do.

I wouldn't trust half of them with a wooden spoon.

Wibla posted:

I remember sitting through a briefing where the words "If you have to shoot, make sure you shoot to kill, dealing with hostile wounded on board ship is a pain in the rear end" were uttered.

Cruise ships have gotten a lot more hardcore since the last time I went on one.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've just repaired the E key on my laptop with a youtube video and a loving swiss army penknife, thanks to our internal politics making laptops impossible to replace.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Zero VGS posted:

Ticket came in from the company lawyer: does anyone know of a file recovery program with a Server / Client setup so that I can silently push to a remote laptop, and run the file recovery client from here?

I need proof that someone was downloading some pirated stuff, but browsing their C$ doesn't show the incriminating files. I'm like 90% sure if I run Recova or something I'll see the evidence they tried to ditch, but I don't want to tip them off.

Edit the Hosts file to block access to Facebook.

Wait til they scream at your support desk that they have lost internet access.

Ship them a loaner, run forensics on the original machine.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I assume this is important business related stuff they’re pirating, and the lawyer isn’t wasting your time hounding someone for downloading Game of Thrones

They aren't using the company internet to download it and they aren't installing it on their laptop, so I am guessing it is indeed GoT and they have a puritannical streak about using company resources for doing illegal things.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

kensei posted:

Teams is pretty good tho?

I mainly use skype to search for people in the company directory, see that they are still employed (based on if they still exist in Skype) and then see if they are in the office (based on if they are online and therefore logged into an office computer)

Then I know whether they are deliberately dodging my phone calls/emails.

I haven't seen a way to do that in Teams. Is it possible?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SlowBloke posted:

If your teams staff hasn't locked/hosed it up there is the "who" bot which will let you find names and see the GAL data of one user, inclusive of status.

Cool, many thanks for that.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Data Graham posted:

I do like when people say "Hi Data Graham, qq"

They mean "quick question" (it's never quick), but I like to imagine them going :qq:

I always think of that SpokkerJones? post that was just 'qqqq qqq qqqqq qqqqq qqq qq qqq q'

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MF_James posted:

They should be issued a 1-off laptop for a trip to china imo

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's what we do for employee travel to insecure countries.

I've heard that quite a few companies are adopting the policy of burner laptops for travel to China.

Literally burners as they get destroyed after the trip, not just wiped and then put back into circulation. Which seems both wasteful/paranoid and yet perfectly sensible. Anyone doing that?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chin up everything sucks posted:

At what point are people going to need to take burner laptops with them when visiting the US?

That's been recommended for a while now: both for visitors and for Americans

Phones and laptops should be clean before going through the borders and shredded if they are taken off you.

There are a quite a few news articles that show this isn't paranoia.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

Getting word that somebody we look after might have started on a project, had a load of marketing created and built the brand of the thing they're trying to launch based on a domain name they do not own and had not made any enquiries about purchasing from the current owners :munch:

quote:

21 Jun 2002
PwC Consulting ridiculed in domain name farce

PricewaterhouseCoopers consulting arm has re-branded as “Monday” at a cost of £70 million. Included in this figure was its purchase for over £3 million of the name and trade marks of a PR firm that was, inconveniently, called “OneMonday.” For just £10 more, however, PwC could have avoided some of the humiliation it now faces on the internet.

Monday’s launch web site is at the domain name IntroducingMonday.com. Unfortunately, PwC did not bother to register IntroducingMonday.co.uk (which would have cost around £10). That name has been taken by the comedy site b3ta.com which is running a piece of animation at IntroducingMonday.co.uk which sticks two fingers up to Monday with the message “We’ve got your name.”

Cybersquatting it may be, but Monday is only likely to face further humiliation by taking any action to recover the name.

Monday’s main site will be at Monday.com. Unfortunately, it did not acquire Monday.co.uk which is owned by e-mail provider another.com and can be used by anyone as an address @Monday.co.uk. Monday.cc is also poking fun at the consultants.

(site is gone now, but it had a lovely song 'We've got your name, lalala')

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I’ve been hearing revert for years at this point. Basically just means respond.

I used 'revert' instead of 'reply' in an email to my father and he mocked me mercilessly.

Which was the Good Parent thing to do

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

nexxai posted:

For the desktop deployment folks out there, I really hope you've been re-imaging or removing the OEM tools: https://safebreach.com/Post/OEM-Software-Puts-Multiple-Laptops-At-Risk

Guess who is scheduled to get a new Dell next week, after they have been imaging them for the last few weeks?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Have you accepted the T&Cs?

I couldn't get past the t&c section. The scrolling actually triggered me too hard.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arquinsiel posted:

Man, I was in my 30's. gently caress being talked down to by someone I hired to provide a service, I'm too old for that poo poo.

There's definitely a point in your professional career when you realise that you don't have to put up with poo poo like this and you don't.

I think it is gradual, rather than a revolutionary change, but you decide it's okay to call out bullshit and it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat for doing so.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Renegret posted:

Grab a broom

Give a vacuum cleaner to the coworker you hate the most.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

larchesdanrew posted:

An email came in from the principal at 8:30 this morning.

Please note this is the first time I have even heard that this woman exists, much less that it was decided without my input that her office would be my tech dumping ground.

Also please note that we have an all day mandatory staff meeting for beginning of the year.

Another email came in from the principal at 11:30, while we were both sitting at the same table for three hours, but this time the director was CC'd on it.

I responded with a screenshot of her first email with the time and date circled, followed by a copy of her signed Technology Agreement with the portion about giving the IT Department at least 24 hours notice for any non-emergency service highlighted. I also requested, since this was my first time hearing about that hire, that she provide me with her information so I can create accounts and activate her keycard to avoid her being further delayed.

The director responded by asking the principal why I was just now being notified of this new hire and the office change after they had discussed it two months prior and he had specifically told her to discuss with me the possibility of the new teacher using the storage room for an office.

I've been internally :smug: about it all afternoon.

Did you at any point use the word 'Boom!'?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm pretty sure it's my distance that makes me unhirable. No one wants to hire someone in a position that requires emergency response that lives an hour away.

But you told me you were planning to move to a new place that happens to bevery near to the company you are interviewing for, just as soon as you start working there.

Uou should tell them that when interviewing.

(not your fault if you can't find a suitable place after passing probation and have to stay where you currently are)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I'm going to throw in a hot-take here:

When commissioning a company to redevelop your website from scratch, I'm going to recommend you don't go with the company that doesn't have a website of their own and uses a Hotmail email address.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
A Batsignal in the shape of a can of Fosters has just been pointed at the night sky.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

larchesdanrew posted:

She did not last the day.

I feel pity joy and relief.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Most Important Legal Document This Century
Most Important Legal Document This Century_01
Most Important Legal Document This Century_02
Most Important Legal Document This Century_final
Most Important Legal Document This Century_final_01
Most Important Legal Document This Century_use_this_one
Most Important Legal Document This Century_use_this_one_02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWHuzaLPXUY

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What is up with HP (and it's only HP) printer software installers? Why do they always take like 20 minutes to install a printer driver? What are they doing in there? I've experienced this for years, every place I've worked, around eight in ten installations will sit there on the setup screen forever. I'm surprised I don't hear more people talk about this. Less surprised that it hasn't been fixed.

To be fair, the average printer driver bundle is now 2TB in size.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bitterandtwisted posted:

A new starter ticket came in for someone born in 2000

Oh gently caress right off.

I've got shoes older than them.

E: I was posting jokes on SA about making GBS threads my pants whilst he was still making GBS threads his pants for real.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 11, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I'm either implying that he was a pants shitter at the age of 18, or this account is a rereg.

Mind you, with kids these days, there's an equal possibility of either being the right answer. Bloody touchscreen and autocorrect has made kids these days soft.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Varkk posted:

I was thinking a bit about this the other day but in the context of children setting up new technology. A person at work was explaining how she got a new smart TV and had to get her 8 year old granddaughter to set it up for her. I think it is because children are still in the habit of listening/reading and following instructions. A lot of adults just don’t seem to have the patience or assume because they used old thing they still know how to use new thing.

Funnily enough, I had just come to this conclusion myself.

I am pretty sure that when I was <20, I would read every line of the instruction booklet and understand it all. Now I am much older, it's a case of 'ignore all that, just tell me which button to press to give me coffee'
When I do have to look up something in the manual, I often find a feature or setting that I had no idea even existed - despite owning said device for more than 3 years.

Part of me wonders if it is also a part of getting old where I subconsciously think that there's no point in learning all about something because it won't be long before it gets replaced with something different. This is definitely why I never bother to learn the names of any new salespeople in our company.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I don't wish to cause aspersions on your abilities, but being able to invisibly break stuff is a core skill of IT support.

If you haven't connected +5V directly to the mains or discreetly swapped two cables around the inside of a box, can you really call yourself a professional?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arquinsiel posted:

Being able to just trash stuff and then straight-faced blame "improper storage" when asked is an advanced level skill.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not to mention the storage unit migration that got squashed over and over and over and over

I mushed these two replies together when I read them and thought you had a really cunning plan where you put all the old poo poo in a U-Haul trailer, told people you were moving it to a new storage location and then 'accidentally' dropped a forklift off the warehouse roof onto it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
'Popcorn button'?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I had no idea such technology existed.

I thought the only way you could microwave popcorn was by using those special bags of popcorn that also gave you cancer.

What a world we live in!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Serves him right.

...not for the naughty holiday, but for checking email while on holiday.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

mllaneza posted:

I spent a not-100%-miserable three months on the helpdesk for a major Bay Area university. One day we got a spike in calls because some rear end in a top hat in a backhoe cuta fiber line to a remote clinic. A couple of hours into the outage I get a call from the poor schmuck who ran the clinic. After 5 minutes of variations on "No, we can't just turn it back on, someone physically cut the connection." I get the zinger. "But I'm a tenured professor."

I got an interview question response out of that.

"Yes sir. And if the backhoe operator was half as good at his job as you are at yours, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Now, our ISP's networking team doesn't have the equivalent of a tenured professor, but we have been assured that some grad students and a couple of postdocs are already on-site."

Some of your posts give me little boners.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
My favourite is shift-F3 in Word to toggle the case of an entire block of text.

Comes in handy when something all in block caps ends up in your desk amd you need to make it usable.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Renegret posted:

Can we agree though if a new hire doesn't know ctrl+C/V then they deserve to be booted out the door?

If they don't know that, then there's a good chance they couldn't find the door

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

klosterdev posted:

did they send a second unencrypted email containing the password

Oh Christ, flashback to that happening to me when a client couldn't get secureFTP working between them and our secure facility, so sent the encrypted data to my standard office email.

I still remember tactfully and slowly explaining that they should not then send the decryption key via email - even if they thought they were being sensible by sending it to a different address (my secretary's)

I think the data had a value of half a mil on the black market had it been intercepted.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Heners_UK posted:

All of this is causing me to flash back to my medical software days when people were so cheap, getting them to use 7zip with aes256 was a step up. We never sorted password exchange well. Our SFTP server wasn't better. In most cases these places didn't have their own IT service providers or didn't pay them to assist us.

I did what I could.

GPG seems like the promised land for this (except being difficult as hell to use)

Ah GPG: simple software to perform a simple task that is impossible to explain the concept of, with controls and setup/configuration that noone can use.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fragrag posted:

What's wrong with "headstrong"? Does it mean something else in corporate lingo?

Not knowing your place.

Which, when it is aimed at the only two women on the team, has a definite vibe that they should be grateful they are allowed out of the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a pretty big red flag, but not as big as the one I got hit with Tuesday.

We're being acquired. Our soon-to-be new CEO told us "This isn't a company you retire with" and, when asked about remote work (25% ish of our company is full-time remote) said "We think we're better...together."

We're so hosed.

To be fair, does anyone imagine being with a company until retirement anymore?

I think most people are grateful to make it to the next financial year, let alone being awarded a gold watch for long service.