Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Just watched this tonight. It's amazing, but trigger warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IG4DeedB4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Frabba posted:

Why thank you 3rd party field technician, I absolutely did want to spend an hour going over interface assignments on the MDF switch, it was very good of you to not bother keeping track of where things were plugged in while replacing that switch.

While we're here though: You replaced the wrong switch.

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Wibla posted:

Why hate on dot matrix? They're reliable and pretty much foolproof.

I have an Oki microline 182 (iirc) somewhere that probably still works if I drop in a new ribbon...

Back in the day I worked 3rd shift weekends at a hospital and I'd print the charts and labs and whatnot for everyone that day. We used these huge 4' tall things with doors and a hood to keep the sound down. I'd use most of a full box of continuous feed paper. Once the reports were done printing I'd take the stack over to a machine that would slice the side holes off while separating the carbon copies into different piles. Then another machine called the burster would put a bit of tension on the pages to separate them and stack them up. The printing part generally went pretty well with very few issues and jams. The other two machines, on the other hand were a huge bitch depending on how humid it was and were sometimes unusable and I'd need to do it all myself.

A bit before I quit they installed a pair of Lexmark laser printers and holy poo poo they were amazing. I don't remember them ever jamming and were just workhorses. And no more loving with the burster and the other thing and all I'd need to do is sort into the various offices, it was great.

But in reality, gently caress printers.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

When I worked retail computing, I had a guy come in with an old white MacBook. Needed some RAM, so I asked him to boot it up so I could make sure of what he had and get him the right stuff. It fires up, a web browser is open, so I minimize it. The dude's wallpaper was a woman, a not particularly attractive woman, striking a very Captain Morgan pose and shot from a slightly low angle. Totally naked. With what appeared to be a substantial weight in various rings and jewelry pierced into her nether regions. Ever the professional, I just whipped the machine around on the counter so no one else could see it and looked up what I needed to look up.

People are trash.

Back in the day I worked in the tech bay at Best Buy when a younger guy comes in, college age. Puts the desktop on the counter, I hook it up to the monitor that can be seen by half the store, only to boot it up and find his desktop pic was a woman on her knees, surrounded by dicks covered in come, shot from above so she looks like a weird white creamy flower. Turned that monitor around so quick while he just kind of laughed nervously that his friends must have put that there.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Agrikk posted:

Edit:

Mine sure as poo poo don’t

I have one cat that produces most of the puke and another that cleans most of it up for me. Sort of a win-win?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Nth Doctor posted:

I'll admit I'm guilty of the IM with a bare greeting. Usually I start typing my question just afterward, but I could do a better job about that. :shobon:

I don't mind people who say Hi or Hey and then start immediately typing their question, because I can see that they're typing something and I know I'll get something to answer pretty quickly. It's the people who just send Hi and wait for a reply. Like if I were away from the desk or on a call and I'll not looking at the screen, the question will be there when I'm back and it can be answered, rather than doing the whole back and forth again.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
First semester of college in 1998 I took I think a programming 101 class that was based on C++. All assignments and tests were done by hand on paper, except for the one or two weeks when we got to go to the computer lab and play around with Borland C++ to see how programming actually worked! Surprisingly, I hated that class!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Truga posted:

i've remapped capslock to also act as lctrl an aeon ago, never looked back. capslock is such a worthless loving key hogging some prime keyboard realestate jesus christ

Not when you use caps lock instead of shift to capitalize letters!