Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

wolrah posted:

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

We're 802.3 as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sickening posted:

gently caress your director. You don't get a pile of 30 papers saying good job unless your director is getting them and then not giving them to you.

He might have solicited opinions from people all at once, thinking he might accrue enough negative opinions to be able to fire larches. Then when they came in positive, he re-evaluated.

Well, it's theoretically possible.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The best kind of problem.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.

Leave your mom out of this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If it's still anything like the last few versions of Windows, you can delete downloaded files for previous updates as long as you're never going to need to roll one back. Can save a couple of gigs that way. I'm not sure if the disk space recovery function will do that or not.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TRS-80 in middle school, and then moved up to the Tandy 1000 in high school. They were old then; I mean we also had one each of 286 and 386, and then my junior year we got some 486s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I thought about wiring up for a network when remodeling, but everything besides laptops/tablets/phones is clustered around the TV already, which is where we had the internet tech set up the modem, so I only bothered right there so we could hang the TV on the wall and not have a mess of cables going to it. The old desktop is also there as an HTPC.

So we have that, the TV, and the game consoles wired up, and we just keep everything else on wifi. We're remodeling one room at a time, and we have 10 mbps rural 4G, so wifi isn't hurting anything speed-wise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nerdrock posted:

Edit for the curious : This is our first and probably only child, after 5+ years of attempts. Her name is Summer and she's probably going to live in that box for the next few months.

My niece was 1 lb. 5 oz. when she was born, I think 14 weeks premature, so a similar situation. She's 8 now and aside from being smaller than average, is perfectly normal, but she was in the hospital for literally the first year of her life. Crazy what they can do these days; here's hoping your few months are just that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It leaves goop on your keyboard

Ah, "pen" is an abbreviation, got it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also the base executive class has a +1 to this skill.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

my cat is norris posted:

I just got a ticket from the infrastructure admin stating simply "create a OneNote notebook named <x>."

No further instructions were provided.

No explanation was given as to why one of the IT Support goons should "own" a corporate-level notebook.

Literally anybody can go to our SharePoint site and create the notebook. This doesn't need a ticket.

Why. WHY? :psyboom:

It is computer thing. *frowns* Cannot do it!

*thirty seconds pass*

*slowly nods* Computer thing people will do it. *smiles*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

All I can see is it still works, why would you need to replace that?

Known issue; workaround in place. Ticket closed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

Nope, polarize 90 degrees to the panel and the light is gone.

If you could put another polarizing filter in an inconspicuous place inside the room, maybe directly attached to the window, at 45 degrees, you'd have a nice peephole.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve been online for too long, so my default state was to assume adult diaper fetish.

A ticket came in: my default state was to assume adult diaper fetish

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

to make, watch, or discuss someone getting caught with it at work?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I mostly just lurk this thread because I'm not in IT, but I do work in a medical office and you're so right, people are just married to the fax machine. We had an ophthalmologist's office ask us for some retinal photos... by fax. They didn't have a secure office email and even when I tried to skirt HIPAA a little bit by sending just the raw photos with no PII, no one there had a personal email address they could use.

I'm not talking in 1997, this was just last year.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

I wonder what sort of diagnostic accuracy they were expecting to get via fax

Even a pristine grayscale printout is next to useless for that; I didn't even want to think about what a fax would look like.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Weatherman posted:

I only just got it by sounding it out like an American.
In Australian English, at least, it's pronounced more like "gray-yum". Also how the gently caress do you type a schwa on an iOS keyboard

My go-to on Android at least is google and copy for special characters.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Javid posted:

He'd probably be down to find out if you can nuke a flock of geese.

I'll accept this but only if he yells "flock you!" while doing so.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I really don't want to hear about waste in your underwear, thank you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Fool posted:

I have two users that do the caps lock thing, and are both otherwise competent home-row typists.

When asked they both shrugged and said that's just how they learned.

How does one learn this way, just self-taught or something?

I learned on an electric typewriter so it's just alien to me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

Imagine waking up every day to the fact that you nearly got killed over an internet domain.

Decades of leaded gas fumes have made us crazy as a species.

The truth is even more unbearable: we're inherently like this with or without gas fumes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

I still miss the ROM BASIC i used to write programs in during 7th grade algebra. I wrote the dumbest poo poo

Same here, BASIC on a TRS-80 in 8th grade, I wrote a program to draw the Enterprise, except the screen wasn't wide enough so I did just the right half.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Please censor the F word, thank you

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TWBalls posted:

I can't speak for others, but the one we have at work has a dial.

It's been a few years since I could actually smell anything, but when I could, I hated the smell freshly popped corn. It's overwhelming.

A dial!? What's it like working in 1982?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Office Space 365

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

I close on my house on July 8th. My last day in this place is June 30th. I submitted my notice and they began advertising for my position.

They are only advertising at community colleges :yotj:

Did the coordination of notice-giving go off as planned? This post is sorely lacking in the delectable details.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nielsm posted:

I once had to manage a system where you could have two users with the same user name, as long as they had different passwords.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

trying to hit uninstall on 2020 but nothing happens

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Depends on the rates where you live, obviously, but 1500 watts continuously for 20 years, assuming 15 cents/kWh would be close to $40,000.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Uh, "stiction" is a thing with old fashioned platter drives. The "drop it two inches" thing is a legitimate response to a specific kind of hard drive failure in the pre-SSD world. I've only used it once, but it let the CFO get the quarterly budget report off f a dying drive onto an external. After he put his wife on the phone so I could tell her that he was supposed to drop the thing.

I used to know someone who's best story was kicking a machine to re-seat the CPU as a palliative measure until he could get the machine on the bench to actually fix the issue. I always though that marking a "kick it here' point with a sharpie was a nice touch.

We had an old CRT TV from the '70s when I was growing up, and the blue would sometimes kick out so all you could see was red and green. But there was a spot on the screen just below center where I could open palm slap the glass just right and reliably get the blue going again.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

Lmao. No one could have seen this coming, least of all you when you predicted it a while ago. Is it just bad timing that 2/3 techs are quitting, or were you actually holding everything together?

what does your heart tell you?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Just be aware that the hardware is substandard, not designed for sustained heat (like…something exposed to the sun all day err day would be?), and if you can even get an installer, they’ll probably be less capable than you are.

The overall infrastructure is neat, but it’s being run on thin margins. If you’re already rural, you’re probably used to that, tho.

Our first 4G home internet was installed by a guy who attached the antenna/modem to our outside wall by drilling a screw directly through the motherboard. It read a good signal so he left, but our speeds topped out at about 256Kbit (advertised 10 Mbit). After a few days or a week we finally got a tech to come out and he let us know the problem, replaced the hardware and quipped that the first tech could probably improve his brain power by attaching his hat with a screw.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Driving truck is not looking so hot as a career option right now either.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Travelling through life, there's a lot of bumps and dips I always seem to fall I into,
Climbing out, only to get hit by some supermarket-produce-carrying, diesel, eighteen-wheeler.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Entropic posted:

Oh no.

I think I’ve been given the telephony equivalent of the Y2K problem.

So Northern Ontario is one of the few places still doing 7 digit phone dialing. Most anywhere else in Canada, it’s 10 digit dialing. You wanna call your neighbour in Toronto, you gotta dial 416 before their 7 digit number. Here in 807 you never needed to dial the area code for local calls. But you will next spring.

Which doesn’t sound like a huge deal, you just have to tell people to dial the 807, they’ll figure it out. Except there’s tons of business PBX phone systems out there where the dial plans are specifically coded to match either 9XXXXXXX or 91XXXXXXXXXX as users dial out, with no case for a local area code without the leading 1 for long distance.

We’ve got a couple hundred of just Avaya systems that will need their ARS tables updated, which we mostly have remote access to thankfully, but there’s also don’t even know how many older Nortel systems with no remote admin access that might be affected.

And the “can you dial out” problem is just the most obvious issue, there’s going to be all sorts of harder to spot problems from phone numbers manually coded into things like on-call systems and fail-over forwarding in VMPro deployments, plus saved contacts in phones and fax machines that are gonna stop working…

I'm in the USA so this may differ, but they changed us over last fall to 10 digit, and we can dial both local and long distance with or without the leading 1. So maybe there is a glimmer of hope, in one respect?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh, now that you say that it's very possible we are on voip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

do the nerdful