Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

I hate Focused Inbox and so does my entire company.

That is all.

Disable Focused Inbox for the whole tenant
code:
Set-OrganizationConfig -FocusedInBoxOn $false
Disable it for a single mailbox
code:
Set-FocusedInbox bleh\@example.com -FocusedInboxOn $false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I’d like to know why anyone thought “Clutter” was a good idea.

You can't disable clutter for the tenant, but you can disable it for all (currently existing) mailboxes. It's up to you if you want to change your make-a-mailbox procedure, or just schedule the removal.

code:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-Clutter -Enable $False

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
An 13" iPad Pro went out, and came right in again the following day.

Turns out you can't make it charge with the Micro-USB cable you have lying around at home, no matter how hard you shove it in the Lightning port. It also turns out the cost to repair the Lightning port is almost half the price of a new iPad.

Before today I used to joke that some users should get an iPad because at least it only has five buttons and you can't insert the charger the wrong way.
I guess I should stop saying that. :eng99:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Except for meeting room and vacuuming our cleaning staff does the rest of the work throughout the day. It took a little time to get used to having them cleaning around you, but you get used to it, and they're good people who'll put up with our random "We suddenly have 10 times the normal amount of trash because we got an emergency order for iPads" in return for access to our free coffee vending machine and whatever cake/candy that seem to find it's way to the helpdesk.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Merijn posted:

Try Guiness Red. It's been a while since I've had it but I remember it being better than the 2 slices of stale bread that standard Guiness is.

The best thing about Guinness is that when you see a Guinness sign outside a pub, chances are they serve Double Diamonds or Kilkenny too.

anyways.. A question came in! Boss decided I needed a replacement for my old iPad, and wants to know if I want the 10.5" or 12" pro model, and I can't make up my drat mind. Help plx?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I use the 12.9 and I’ve almost drat near been able to replicate my entire workflow with it. The big screen is super good for using it as a second monitor with Duet or connecting via RDP/VNC with Jump.

No matter what size make sure they get you a Pencil with it, and either the Apple Smart Keyboard or the Logitech Smart Keyboard. The keyboards that use the Smart Connector Bus are superior to Bluetooth, but if you gotta get a Bluetooth keyboard get the Logitech K811.

I'm eyeing the 12.9" and the Logitech Slim Keyboard pretty hard, but I don't think a pencil is for me. I've had a few other devices that came with a pen, and on all occasions I've fiddled briefly with it, and then stuck it in my cup-o-pens at work.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The Claptain posted:

A non-bootable PC came in:

*Hello, it's me, the hard drive, I am totally working: BzBzBzBz*

IDE channels! Talk about a blast from the past.

Proteus Jones posted:

Go into an Apple Store and play with the Pencil. And be amazed. It is seriously stylus done right.

We have a presentation room 10 m from where I am right now. I'll go fiddle with the different models and a pencil.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Union negotiations have broken down. Seems like we're on strike from 4/4. Oh well.. the last one I was partaking in was in 1998, and this looks like it's going to be just as big. All municipal and county working what's roughly "a desk job" will be striking to try to force a better wage settlement for the next two/three years. All in all we're looking at 50,000 people striking. I just hope I'm not going to be appointed "vital staff" and get to keep working to keep systems vital to people's health online.

(no, we're not going to lose any money. The union will cover wages for as long as the strike lasts)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Well, that's just hilarious.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

I don't mind him, but I recently learnt the reason that he wears the same clothes in every video is because they are his only clothes and I can't get that out of my head whenever I watch his videos.

You learned wrong then. On the "Matt and Tom" channel they had an episode about his clothes. It's basically a closet full of red T-shirts and jeans, because branding, something about matching the site's color to the red shirt, and youthful rebellion against any shirt with a company logo that, well.. turned into branding.

Edit: There you go

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is not a common feeling, I know, but I loving hate Tom Scott. Hit self-satisfied delivery really grinds my gears.
All I hear is a nerd that's genuinely happy about sharing some cool things/facts. It all depends on the person, I guess.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 14, 2018

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Surely you'd know if SSL inspection was being done because the root certs would need to be on your machines

I'm uninformed in this regard, but curious. Can I get an explanation for this?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I thought it'd be something like that. Thanks.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

kensei posted:

A ticket came in: Hey, Helpdesk, this pesky error message came in again.

One of our helpdesk people called me to come help with an Exchange error earlier today: He couldn't make a new contact, and exchange kindly told him that "names can't start or end with a blank" right in the web interface with a little speech bubble next to the field. At least he had the decency to slap his own forehead when I read the error out loud and deleted the trailing space.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
DOUBLE POST!

I got a ticket today that users were getting denied access to their own Favorites folder. Our IDM system messed something up and outright reset the folder permissions to "administrators" and nothing else.. for 2500 users!

Half an hour later I had a PowerShell script up and running that resets the folder ACL to inherit access rights from the parent folder. God I love PowerShell!

Edit: This is the same system that set every single AD account to expire on the same day in January 2015. I found out because I was looking at the account for a specific user and saw that it was set to expire despite her being a full-time hire, checked a few more accounts, then the rest of them, then ran screaming to my boss. PowerShell helped save the day back then too.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 10, 2018

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's that unreliable is there any scope for reducing the permissions that it has so it can't be this disruptive?

Problem is that it's extremely difficult finding alternative software that supports all those special systems for municipality use. Luckily most of them have changed to ADFS verification, so in a few months we can drag the IDM-system out back and give it both barrels.

(and that's what we're going to do, despite the vendor trying desperately to set up meetings where they can "explain" how useful the software is for.. something else I guess.)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

There was the (possibly apocryphal) MD who owned a boat called 'A Business Trip'

So, his secretary could tell callers 'I am sorry he is not available, he's on a business trip'

My last place of work was on a lake. We had a company boat you could book if you wanted to. That boat was called "Meeting", and one of our editors used it avidly to go fishing during lunch. Our receptionist would cast a glance out over the lake, spot the little boat and go "I'm sorry, he's in a meeting right now.". That never got old.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.

And that's utter crap on their part.

It does set "the norm" however, and most fiber companies offer around 500/500 to 600/600 Mbit at ~$75/month (or 300/300 Mbit at ~$55). There's really only one company that offers true 1Gbit to consumers, and their coverage isn't all that great.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, speaking of Denmark, we have a town named Middelfart.

Don't forget Assens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

That would be the pre-soak at the factory.

:gonk:

(Side note: Discount store-brand cornflakes were and are superior to Kellogs. Larger flakes that stays solid for longer, and at less than half the price.)