Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
So, I was voluntold to take some training to get certified as an Alarm Technician so we can continue to install video surveillance systems without the state jumping all over us, and I've never seen a slide in a presentation that more accurately represents "A Ticket Came In" before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Wow, that must be very good training material

I've got to spend 22 hours in this online training course in order to get a completion, and the material is good for maybe 8 hours. You've got to interact with the course at least once every 15 minutes, else it stops counting your time. It doesn't give you any indication that it's stopped counting your time, however. If you close the browser window without clicking the "exit" button in the course, you'll lose time. If you refresh the browser window, you'll lose time.

So much fun.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

Can you expense a mouse jiggler to keep it going overnight?

Requires clicking on buttons, not just mouse activity. And the buttons move around.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PremiumSupport posted:

Speaking of SIP, a weird one is about to land on my desk.

We've had our internal phone system for years, and the external connection was upgraded to SIP two years ago.

For some reason we have been unable to make local calls by dialing the normal 7-digit number for the last week, trying results in a busy signal. Dialing 1+areacode+7digit number works fine.

Not looking forward to having to call our phone provider's tech support.

Some SIP providers require 10/11 digit dialing, regardless of whether the call is local or not.

We've worked around this for some of our customers so they can retain 7 digit dialing by using a prefix on the route patterns, but the call won't go through if we only send the 7 digits to the SIP provider.

Your SIP provider should have notified you if they were going to change this, but sometimes things like that get missed.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What would be the purpose?

How else would they get their name included in the monthly employee newsletter on their birthday month?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We had a squirrel get stuck in the drop ceiling in our office a couple years back. Brought a trap in from home, and got him in with some granola in a cup attached to the trip plate. Was able to release him safely outside.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pyroclastic posted:

And yesterday the advance rma for a dead Smartpanel arrived, so I got to wonder, again, why this 4k 65" tv with an IR touch sensor and bolted-on Android module weighs 180lbs.

Full metal chassis and actual glass screen, whereas most consumer displays have gone to as much plastic as they can get away with, as well as screens that don't really take much abuse.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because we've pushed so many of our customers away from anything analog lines for so long, but it didn't seem like the ATA 186 had nearly as many problems as its replacements.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Although I am buying 8811 phones now.

The magnetic screen bezels on those were a big hit when we started deploying them to classrooms for customers. One of the customers has resorted to putting dots of superglue on the magnets to keep them on.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I haven't seen this issue yet, but good to know.

It's not a huge issue for office clients, but put something like that where K-12 kids can get at it? You end up either constantly buying replacements, leaving them without a bezel, or going at it with super glue.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Well since there doesn't appear to be a dedicated VoIP thread anymore...

Since we are finally free of the shackles of devices requiring PSTN service looking at going full VoIP for 2 new locations we are building.

So for phone people... What VoIP deskphones do y'all like using? Will likely be using it with FreePBX or one of its derivatives. Probably 15 or so phones at each location.

We have Grandstream phones and a Grandstream UCM at the corp. office. I really like the system itself, but the phone hardware quality has been a little lacking.. We have a few phones already with dead lines across the LCD screen and LEDs burnt out on the line buttons.

We've been selling Sangoma phones to customers going with FreePBX lately. From what I've done with them so far they seem pretty decent. Plus you get some of the features from the paid commercial FreePBX modules for free when you use Sangoma phones.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Google Authenticator, probably. One of my client has it as an option for their 2FA.

In case anyone hasn't seen this, Google Authenticator has been compromised, and Google hasn't updated the app since 2017.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-malware-can-steal-google-authenticator-2fa-codes/

You can use the Microsoft Authenticator app instead.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I used to listen to the Security Now podcast with Steve Gibson back when I was doing a lot of driving for work. I'm pretty sure he was still using Windows 2000 as his primary desktop OS well into the 2010s.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you need an excuse to skip your Friday afternoon meetings, Webex is currently having issues.

https://status.webex.com

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Webex is now blaming their CA for all their issues and said they released a new cert but you may have to install it? The gently caress?

Yeah, their CA's OCSP responders were down, so even though the cert was valid, there was no way to check its revocation status.

https://status.hydrantid.com/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Spectrum has a fiber cut near Montgomery, AL right now, per their support: "Damage was caused by a mobile home tractor trailer pulling down an 18 and 12 count fiber"

Apparently pulled them down with enough force that the power company is having to come and set two new poles.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We were involved in repairing fiber after a hurricane and the power company kept breaking the underground fiber as they were setting new power poles to replace broken ones. Wasn't much we could do, because power, as a utility, takes precedence.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I once did a phone screen type interview with someone, and they sent me a thank you note on professional letterhead in a large manila envelope to the wrong office.

They didn't get hired, and the weird thank you note had no impact on that other than just being weird.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

A rejection email came in :smith:

Better luck next time

At least you got a rejection email, and didn't get ghosted like so many places tend to do.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Is this somehow a disadvantage in this field? When I started those traits were considered desirable because everyone knew people who were good with computers were "different"

In the US, a disability cannot be legally factored into a hiring decision, so unless you have an obvious physical disability it's generally not a good idea to disclose until the offer stage or whenever you'd be requesting any accommodations.

Now, whether a person's neuroatypicality rises to the level of a disability is another question.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can't legally consider it as part of their hiring decision, they don't need to know about it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

I'm old enough to remember cameras on phones. We sat and struggled to find a legit reason to take a picture with your phone (vs something like an actual camera) in a personal or even business setting

To be fair it still kinda holds true for business, and I think I can still count on my hands the times I took a picture of the whiteboard for future reference.

The owner of our company, back in 2010 or so when Brett Favre was dealing with his sexting scandal, had MMS messaging disabled on all of our phones.

Of course, at this point, most of our employees were using Nextel push to talk flip phones, with only a handful of "important" people having Blackberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My wife once freaked out because her tablet screen wouldn't come on. She was wearing polarized sunglasses and had the tablet turned exactly to the angle that matched the screen was blacked out.