Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLts-sXlLEM&t=36s

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off...

...so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

:thunk:

An unplanned failure is soooo much better than planned downtime apparently

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Not even 2 whole months into the year and goons :yotj:-ing all over the place!

Just got back from an apartment search trip in my new city and e-signed a lease. Move in is a month from yesterday, and I start my new job the 2nd week of April. :yotj:

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Re: booting from NVMe without BIOS/UEFI support, one workaround would be to put your bootloader on another disk (or USB stick) and boot from that while having your C drive on the NVMe. When installing Windows, create an EFI (System) partition on a disk the system can boot from, and manually create your C partition on the NVMe.

Light reading:
https://superuser.com/questions/665923/move-efi-system-partition-to-another-drive

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I asked for a functional headset which I never got ... Eventually they just took me off the phones

Congrats on getting the best possible outcome for you!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Not just the needful anymore, now it's the need full.

Don't forget to revert back

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wibla posted:

Yeah, I've worked with that poo poo before, in the navy. All workstations were on fibre, and laptops needed a media converter with a very short ethernet cable.

Kinda surprising they didn't just order the laptops with an SFP cage.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Signed the offer letter for a security analyst position :yotj:

Now to have the awkward conversation with my (understaffed) current employer!

Congrats!!!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

But stop using hardware desk phones, tho.

Yes. The voice guys at my company put out a request for volunteers to go softphone-only. They also said they'll disable voicemail if you don't want it.

I signed up for both immediately.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah that was in the fine print of the request for volunteers. Also no way to have proper e911.

Sure, it's harder to do QoS properly without a dedicated voice VLAN, but it's not like they can't prioritize on DSCP tags and whatnot.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

This makes me want to rename everything in combinations of O, 0, I, and l. 0Il0lO0lOOIIO0 can be our file server, but don't get it mixed up with 0ll0lO0lOOII00, the DNS server.

Thanks, I hate it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

A phone call came in today. Some old lady who is running very low on tinfoil was Very Mad about our clientele.

Apparently I am a servant of the Antichrist because we provide services to government agencies and "the Zionist banking cabal".

She also got very mad when I informed her that policy prevents me from discussing our clients, including whether or not they are demons.

At least she said she'd pray for my soul. :)

Do you have a recording? :justpost:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

mehall posted:

A ticket came in.

Customer is following on from a closed case where they had issues running CMS backups.

The email advises "Just some background, this weekend we had our maintenance gays run a backup and they had out of date documentation"

Emphasis mine.

Do they also use eunuchs?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume there’s an equivalent for IPv6 RAs but I haven’t checked.

It's called RA Guard, but you can also do it by blocking router-adverts via ingress ACL on untrusted ports for switches that don't have a dedicated knob for it. The antispoofing part of DHCP snooping is harder for IPv6 because interfaces have several addresses unlike with IPv4.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 30, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sirotan posted:

It's called neighbor spoofing and answering one of those calls confirms to the spammer than your number is valid and then they'll start using it to spam other people. I got a few calls from people asking why I called them, did some research, and now never answer my phone.

I answered one of these "neighbor" calls and it was actually a person asking me why I called them, so I ended up explaining neighbor spoofing to them.

Now I don't answer my phone either!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Maybe the problem is "email stationery"

HTML should never have been put into email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I needed a document scanner to pursue my dream of not having paper, and got a laser MFP because it cost the same as an equivalent stand-alone scanner, and also had a laser printer attached. Page count after a year is <50 pages and I'm still on the starter toner.