Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Why would we increase your pay? You didn't change positions (except the one where you bent over to take it from behind for free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Moatman posted:

I did it on my phone so I didn’t actually experience the scrolling, what did it change?

One full rotation of the mousewheel was maybe like 1.5 lines of text. I had to click the mouse button so it could roll freely and then give it several solid spins to get through it all.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Panthrax posted:

First semester of college in 1998 I took I think a programming 101 class that was based on C++. All assignments and tests were done by hand on paper, except for the one or two weeks when we got to go to the computer lab and play around with Borland C++ to see how programming actually worked! Surprisingly, I hated that class!

This was my C/C++ class in 2014 too. Every test was pen and paper, including the final.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Data Graham posted:

The real power bottom manager move is to drop that line at 4:30 on a Friday

9am email on Monday morning with the meeting set for 4pm Friday. True story.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our older Meraki stuff seems to work but anything purchased post-2016 seems to have issues, either sporadically or just all the time. None of our brand new HP PCs and no iPhones can connect to any of our SSIDs in one of our new facilities, but my Dell computer and Android phone connect just fine. I'm far enough removed from dealing with that stuff that I don't care any more but yeah for anything where you have to deliver stable wireless, Meraki is not going to fit the bill unless you have total control over the devices connecting and can do a shitload of proof of concept testing before deployment. Dealing with Meraki issues isn't a constant thing but it happens often enough that I'm bitter about the whole experience.

We actually have a bunch of lovely Linksys wireless APs running in production right now because of this.

Edit: AFAIK there is no fix other than to swap hardware and pray if you've already made the obvious compatibility-related changes on the dashboard and that didn't resolve it. We did have very minor improvements turning off band steering and splitting 2Ghz and 5Ghz to separate SSIDs but that's the only not-totally-obvious suggestion I can make.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 23, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yes but the issue here is complying with building codes and other local regulations I reckon?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

lol at having to switch users to just use AD

I have a separate account and card just for logging in to Solarwinds and Ansible Tower. It's beyond dumb.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CollegeCop posted:

There are literally zero parts of my day-to-day job that require me to be in the office.

That's what kills me about so many jobs nowadays. "Sorry, WFH is not an option" is fine if they can articulate a reasonable reason why, however for most organizations it seems to be some variation on "we want to be able to collaborate in person" or whatever, which doesn't really apply when my job is IT and involves sitting in my cubicle staring at my nightmare machine for eight hours a day. I don't need to ~collaborate~ to write ansible playbooks or figure out why SCCM is making GBS threads the bed or whatever.

It seems like for most places the real answer is "I don't get to WFH so you don't either" which is why a WFH policy is a pretty good barometer for an organization overall.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We just announced yesterday (as everyone was encouraged, but not required, to begin WFH if possible) that people will be able to take desktops and monitors home.

Also we don't track monitors since they're considered unimportant property like pens or paper (yes you read that right) so I fully expect a significant percentage to disappear and never come back.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Expect further communication on this matter through your supervisor and/or HR.
He was right about communication from supervisor and/or HR, wrong about who'd be on the receiving end :lmao:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My C & C++ midterms and finals were handwritten as well. 2013/14 somewhere in there I think.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

KillHour posted:

So this is why so many interviews insist on doing coding questions by hand.

I think in my case at least it was a combination of community college (not a bad thing at all, just strapped for funding & space at exam time) and old professor that didn't give a poo poo. Also, though I did not see the merit at the time, there's something to be said for more analyzing the workflow and what you're trying to accomplish rather than stuff like that crazy witchcraft coding story that was posted a while back that compiles but is a complete mindfuck. Were I teaching the class at this point I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a handwritten test since I'd be more interested in seeing if the students got the overall concepts rather than the function names and syntax and stuff perfect, especially since it could cause people to get hung up trying to compile rather than answering questions.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I bricked a switch (as in return to manufacturer not "oops wrong config" (ps gently caress you Meraki)) from 1000 miles away once. Had to fly out with a spare the next morning.

My first IT job was very seat of the pants like that but I learned a lot. I can't imagine just waltzing into some major company fresh out of Cisco bootcamp or whatever and touching big important network stuff, that's like buying your 16 year old an BMW M3 instead of a beater Civic to learn on.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This is obviously an atypical experience but I did IT off the books in Japan for a stint; one time one of our new guys fubar'd a customer's machine at the colo and took them offline for a couple of days. As reparations the CEO and president took the client to China to bang prostitutes. They invited me but I declined as it'd involve imprompt PTO at my day job and, while I was in this job for the experience, I was not in it for that kind of experience. They both came back with STDs which were, luckily, treatable.

There was also some foreigner they had actually above the table working for them who they rendered homeless because he kept loving things up and they kept deducting his pay for it. At some point a couple of months after starting, he couldn't make rent and had to move out of Tokyo back to the bumfuck town he started in and went back to teaching English.

Working in Asia was weird as gently caress in general but this whole situation was double-weird.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I guess my thought is if you can image it and turn it into a VM, you can run it on anything for the rest of time.

In our case the problem tends to be that the instruments are so old that they don't support communication via ethernet or even USB. Also dongles.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methanar posted:

git diff implies inequality exists

Countdown until git blame is renamed

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I "joked" at $job-1 that my father, as a civilian employee attached to the US Armed Forces, had less management steps between himself and the President of the United States than I did to our CEO.

This isn't too far out there; I am absolute bottom rung and you can get from me to the president in six steps, seven if you include the contracting company, but that's more parasitic than management.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 28, 2020

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thats my biggest complaint as well. Companies will change terminology and blast the change all over social media congratulating themselves yet fail to hire a single minority or make any meaningful change.

[Scene: Panicked Boardroom]
CEO: You mean just changing our Twitter logo to include a rainbow background and doing absolutely nothing else of value or merit doesn't satisfy our diversity goals?!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

My company recently started doing something called "L10". It's not bad exactly but it's super structured and I've just never seen a meeting structure system that didn't make most meetings overall worse?

:shrug:

We did L10 at my last place, helped a lot. Went from ~1 hour per weekly meeting down to 15 minutes. I was skeptical at first but if you stick to it it's pretty simple. The main thing was we were able to keep people on topic and sideline unnecessary discussions or break those discussions out to separate groups and let uninvolved people leave once the main meeting was done, which wasn't happening before.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Antioch posted:

I keep daydreaming about a nice 5 acre lot with a ranch style bungalow, lots of trees, 20 minutes outside the city. Internet no faster than 1mb down. "Sorry boss, internet issues, guess I can't work today" *heads outside to hammock, cracks beer, lights joint*

I keep telling people that my dream is to move up to the mountains, go off the grid and raise goats by candlelight and no one believes me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

That first part is such a misnomer. When have the computers that SCSI is on ever been small? :colbert:

Tons of the SPARCstation line was quite small, but notably the IPX/IPC.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had a whole stack of IPXes, an IPC, an LX, and a few SPARCstation 1/2s. Utterly useless even back then (mid-2000s) because of how slow they are, but cool nonetheless. You could maybe fit a miniITX board in one with some creativity?

Edit: forgot I also had one of those SPARC laptops, Brite Lite or something like that? I bought a lot of computer stuff at state surplus auctions in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2020

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

The internet is down? I hope Jen let the elders of the internet know

The only unrealistic thing about that show was the incredible size of the shared office.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MF_James posted:

Big bonus of working for airlines is always the benefits of flying, though I've only known folks that work for The Big 4 3, I know regional/smaller carriers have agreements with the bigger airlines so they get benefits there as well.

My oh my how I miss flying free in the US and flying out of country for $18 (departure tax).

*edit* bleh trash snipe.

Had a phone interview today with a company that seems decent enough, will give me an OK pay raise (plus bonus which I did NOT figure into the equation at all), but their vesting period for 401k is insane at 6 years, though iirc it does have partial vesting.

As much as I want out of the MSP life, I'm not sure i can swallow a 6-year vesting period when I'm probably going to job hop once or twice more.

My company snuck a new 401k vesting schedule on us by forcing us to sign/agree to an entirely new employee handbook as part of the timesheet process, so there we were at 4:50pm on a Friday trying to do our timesheets and go home when all of a sudden there's a "hey sign/agree to this, you can't proceed to timesheet until you do". I think it was 5 years before that or something.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just tell people that you don't ask your podiatrist to do gastrointerology, seems to get the point across.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Who gets to sit around while those CDs? DVDs? spin for literal days?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Who the gently caress is going to put this all together and dedupe it?

I think this kind of gets back to the "only keep what you don't mind being used against you in court" school of data retention. Stuff where you have no idea what it is, the owners are long gone, and you have no business, legal or regulatory requirements to keep it, should probably just be tossed with extreme prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Reminds me of Grzegorz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U