Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

The last processor names I understood was when they were named after the clock speed.

Yeah, I don't get these Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge ones specifically. They don't go together. I've never heard of a Sandy League or and Ivy Butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just deny his specific account the ability to make manual edits. And don't tell anyone you did.

Ooh I like this one.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Johnny Aztec posted:

Awkward, emotionally retarded goons that can't handle the slightest bit of confrontation.

It tickles me when "loving goons :rolleyes:" is typed out unironically by, get this, a loving goon

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

blackswordca posted:

So a major project came in.

This is the first project I've done onsite with the boss/owner of the company I work for.

So last night I work a full day, then drive to the client site to deploy a completely new environment. New servers, workstations, network equipment domain and an onsite exchange server. We get some bad weather, roads are slippery and terrible. Takes me over an hour to do what is normally a 20 minute trip. Get to the site, boss shows me around and the client leaves.

Boss: "Ok, get going with the server setup and data transfer, I'm going to a concert. See you tomorrow" and he leaves.

So I start the server to server data transfer, setup some basic things up and go home because I can do most of this remotely. I don't need to be there until the data transfer is actually completed sometime the next day.

Later that night I get a text. "Hey, sorry for bailing on you, meet me at *restaurant by client site* at 9:30, ill buy you breakfast.

So I think, OK, sounds good.

This morning rolls around. I'm half way to the client site. I get a text from the boss

"Hey, swing by the office and grab 3 red 2" patch cables and a wireless mouse and keyboard set."

Its literally on the opposite end of the city from where I am. Plows have only been on a few of the major arteries and almost no sand or salt has been put out so roads are still slick and slow going. Takes me about an hour to get there. Pull into the parking lot, get into the office and I get another text.

"Hey, I'm leaving the restaurant, see you at the client site"

I really hope the interview I went to on Thursday pans out...

Slaughtering your boss and hiding the body would be justifiable homicide. No jury of your peers would vote to convict you. And you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Don't forget Slenderman.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rafikki posted:

A ticket came in:

Customer states that the firewall we manage has been breached and they have been hacked. Their timer board is showing "Glory to Ukraine, Death to USA".

Investigation reveals that they have the thing plugged straight into their modem and a public IP assigned to it. Further investigation reveals that no credentials are required to login and modify it.

After explaining this to the customer, the only reply we get is "thx".

The firewall that you manage is ludicrously misconfigured and has been hacked? How is that the customer's fault?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MF_James posted:

He means the tv board thing is plugged directly into the modem, which means it's not behind their firewall, which means their firewall is fine, the customer is the idiot that put the device directly onto the internet, also they had anonymous admin access available to said thing on the internet.

Ohhh I get it now :downs: Sorry, rafikki.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
When you say dymo labeller, you mean the clear black type on thin white labels kind and not the "punch whitish letters into green vinyl" kind, right?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I didn't know you could pipe commands to diskpart like that. Cheers thread!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Aunt Beth posted:

At IBM the wisdom was “we start counting from 0 except when we start from 1, we count left to right except when we count right to left, and we count top to bottom except when we count bottom to top”

RTFM.

Something something avatar/username/post combo

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Good gracious, Thants, how did you end up with that avatar?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tactlessbastard posted:

YYYYMMDD on the streets, Napoleonic in thensheets

"Home in TODAY()+3, don't wash"?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Has anyone here worked in Microsoft's premier support before?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not counting any chickens, but had a good call today on a potential lead. And they didn't balk at the number I gave them "to even consider changing". And it's also in my old stomping grounds (I'm gonna get so fat) which is half my current commute.

Good luck!

Also Alex I remember your "gangstas don't be giggling" avatar. How is your tiny gangsta these days?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghostlight posted:

Hello I live in the centre of the the largest city on my continent and the fastest speed available to me is 24mbps down.

Lagos?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghostlight posted:

^^^ Yes. VDSL isn't available because of some excuse about the quality of the copper in the building, and fibre hasn't been run. :v:

I was being overdramatic, but we're on Zealandia which is either a microcontinent or a submerged continent depending on your scientific views.

I still think you're just in Lagos. :colbert:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jaded Burnout posted:

(yes OK new zealand is named after the dutch one but I'm technically right which is the best kind etc)

lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No I actually meant your post was funny and I literally laughed out loud :hfive:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
They were loving boring with the naming down under. New Zealand. New South Wales. Queensland. Victoria (named after a queen). Snooooooooooore.

At least Tasmania was named after the explorer dude. And a buttload of suburbs and towns use the indigenous placenames which is cool.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

wolrah posted:

Exit 69 for Big Beaver Road is in Michigan, off I-75 in the northern part of the Detroit metro area.

Big Bone Lick State Park is in Kentucky, however it is off of the similarly named Beaver Road, which if you follow it east from the park will take you to the town of Beaverlick. Coincidentally if you follow Beaver Road further it ends right next to an offramp from I-75, but it's exit 171.

Who bought maps.google.com a forums account??

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:stonk:
That's gotta be right up there with the 500km email issue.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Malek posted:

iSCSI over Wifi then?

:stonk:

Why... why would you say something like that? I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh right, loli.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Re: free space chat, I don't know how useful this is to you all but it has been to me in the past.

If you're deploying PCs or servers to users who aren't great at managing free disk space, or teams who install all applications and log files and cache folders to C, then make it part of your process to write an empty 5-GB (for example) to each volume. Give it some kind of discreet name or make it invisible.

Then, when someone comes to you with a "my disk is full and it's affecting production!" case, the very first thing you can do to get some breathing room is to delete that file. Obviously there is still the matter of the disk filling up, but this at least delays detonation.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why just today?

:iceburn:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

nielsm posted:

This is really strange. A user reports a Windows 10 machine has been crashing with blue screen errors several times this week, and even sent a photo of it. But when I examine the event log on the machine, I don't see any errors logged. In fact, it even looks like it the machine was shut down normally. The error code on the blue screen is "Unexpected kernel mode trap".

Maybe too obvious but make sure you're looking at the same machine that they took the picture of? (Blaming the user's lack of accurate communication here, not you.)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I unironically use do the needful in my everyday interactions because it owns

E: and I have it listed as a skill on LinkedIn

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:yotj:

Total raise over 4.5 years of working here: 2.76%
Immediate raise from moving elsewhere: 49%, plus potential bonuses of another 15% on top of that

The exit interview is going to be short.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MJP posted:

There's so much "this is bullshit, you moron" - sometimes in very close to those words and tone - coming from managers to their direct reports. Whoever wrote this has zero concept of characters and humans to the point that they make Scott Adams look like Philip Roth by comparison of writing skill. The main character shouting someone down and they're perfectly happy with a pat on the shoulder after that? I seriously hope people start quitting soon.

I feel like there's gotta be someone out there writing Phoenix Project fanfic such that Wes just ends up going on a killing spree or something.

There's also the part where a character screams out "SMELLS LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEING HAVING SEX IN HERE!", the part where they specifically mention the size of one of the two female characters' breasts, and the multiple parts where the protagonist mentions how I USED TA BE IN THE MARINES.

Even with that shovelled aside, it's still a great book, just in terms of delivering the lesson.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
A ticket came in, on my third last day at my current job.

The client we're doing an onprem Exchange to Office 365 migration for ([ask] me about being parachuted onto this project the week before the last dude left, while having no prior experience with either exchange or office 365!) is running Office 2010 still. After weeks of troubleshooting the pilot migrations users' desktops, the other team members decided that the interim fix is to upgrade only Outlook to 2016. This led to another problem which I gaffer-tape-fixed by copying the old Winword.exe into the Office16 folder.

They've just asked for help saying that Word 2010/Outlook 2016 machines can't do mail merge any more due to "an error", which I'm trying to find out more about, but that doing a repair (quick or online, I'm also trying to find out) of Office 2010 fixes it.

I know this is gently caress-all information, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Also if your first instinct is to post "why the gently caress are you running mismatched versions of Office apps", then by all means do so, because I've already told them that that causes problems and they need to put the work in to upgrading instead of attempting all these workarounds.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SlowBloke posted:

We are doing the same (Exchange 2010 w/ office 2010 to o365), office 2010 works just fine with Exchange online, you just need to redo the Outlook profile(esp if they have third party imap mailboxes) after you migrated the mailbox. Having a mixed office on a machine is a good way to get extra bs thrown at you.

Tell me about it :sigh:

I'm only supposed to be on the back end of things, but I'm getting asked to look into this poo poo because there's no one else available (read: assigned to the task).

I know they tried running Office 2010 only at the beginning, but there were some problems apparently that no amount of profile recreation, setting changes, etc. could fix. They even got MS premier support involved to no avail.

I keep saying "just upgrade everyone to 2016, you've already got the licenses so just push out an upgrade" but apparently that's more trouble than trying to play whack-a-mole with these issues.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

and I just got the pun in your username 'cause I am extremely fuckin' slow

I only just got it by sounding it out like an American.
In Australian English, at least, it's pronounced more like "gray-yum". Also how the gently caress do you type a schwa on an iOS keyboard

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MisterZimbu posted:

I have no idea why people keep wanting to hear jokes about TCP but nobody wants to hear a UDP joke about

:golfclap:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Lol just lol if you don't work inside a Dyson sphere of screens

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I had it mentioned this evening that infrastructure is a cost centre unlike those SalesForce wizards who generate revenue.

Motherfuckers, you try generating all that revenue when you're back to using notepads, pencils and calculators because all the infrastructure has been thrown into cleansing fire by unappreciated engineers t:mad:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mehall posted:

One customer I had at my old job had some Basement Jaxx song, I forget which, with a boilerplate "we'll be with you as soon as we can" every 30 seconds or so.

What I discovered one day, having been on hold with none of their agents picking up for over 7 minutes, is that it eventually switched to Jamiriquai's Canned Heat.

I hope it was "Red Alert".

Related: I want one of those big gently caress-off red buttons on my desk that when I smash it, it starts blasting Red Alert through the office and triggers a bunch of rotating red lights.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Not gonna lie, when I read "blasting Red Alert" I thought you meant Hells March.

Which frankly I'd love to blast through the office of the client from hell (ironic considering who they are) that I've been dealing with over the last two weeks.

And by blast through the office, I mean have blasting over speakers mounted on the tank I drive through the building.

:hfive: The Red Alert soundtrack owns, definitely.

Can we compromise? I'll have Basement Jaxx's Red Alert for the "sudden sensory overload" button in the office, but I'll gladly help you mount a set of speakers that blast Hells March on the killdozer you drive into said office.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Is the veeam update process relatively easy? I have "install latest update" on my list of things to do but since I only learnt what veeam was last November, I'm a bit wary of changing in production.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

RFC2324 posted:

Also a visit from men in Black suits my freshman year if high school over a practical joke

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Fool posted:

wtf did I just see

:aaaaa: but in cord form