Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Knormal posted:

How many people at home actually own/buy their modem versus just renting one from the ISP? I'm pretty sure for most people the transition is going to be their ISP tells them they need to come pick up this new modem by some date or their internet will die, they'll keep paying $5 a month, and have no idea they're running on IPv6 now.

I did both for about 5 years. Returned the modern because I bought my own, and because I'm fiscally irresponsible I never noticed the $5 a month charge. I didn't even try to get a credit, just called and they stopped the charge heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Renegret posted:

And the customer service rep who provisions it isn't a blithering idiot.

Which in this case is asking a lot.

Now I have the company's modem which I decided wasn't worth the pain of maintaining my own, but I will never use a cable company's router. I have a weird sense of distrust on that. Plus it's usually not as good as the higher end routers you can get

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Renegret posted:

Modem rentals are a sore spot for me. It's in the company's best interest to have everyone using their modems. It moves the point of demarc one step closer to the ISP which is objectively good for the average person. Customers will get the correct modem for their service level. The ISP can control what firmware gets pushed, and will also have support contracts with the vendors to make specific feature requests and bug fixes.

Yeah I should have clarified, I use the company's modem and there's no additional charge for me (whether it's a mistake or a feature I'm not asking)