Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Problem: customer is reporting that his "email computer" is no longer receiving mails.

Turns out that his email computer is running Windows 98. After telling him a few times that having a Win98 exposed to internet was a bad idea, we found out that the reason he wasn't getting was simply because the computer had lost the internet connection somehow.
His DSL line was up and his new "internet computer" was online just fine, so I left it there and told him again to get his email account set up on the new computer.

Old farmers are set in their ways I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I commute about 1½ hour each way. The only benefit is that I get to sleep for an hour on the train.

Costs €240 per month for an unlimited use card that I can use in any of the zones I'm going through and is valid for trains/subway/metro and busses.

Of course I also then get a yearly tax deduction of about €7500 due to said commuting, so that is pretty nice.

I would still like to move to closer to work, since there really isn't any work in my hometown.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/larsklint/status/1098166163828162561

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My last name is "Hill". I live in the US. I have lost count of how many times people born and raised in the US have hosed it up. Its four loving letters!

is your first name Hank? If no, why not?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/YO9IRF/status/1112714342204694529

:staredog:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Relentless posted:

I'm reminded of the bad old days of the mid-90s. Prices on DSL in Montana had finally fallen to "somewhat reasonable", so my father decided to upgrade from 56k.

It worked like a dream... except when it didn't. It would just become unstable OR sometimes completely fail for half hour or so, normally on the weekends but not always. Sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes not.

Turns out part of the phone wiring was unshielded. In the laundry room. The dryer would put out enough static to disrupt the signal... after the clothes had dried enough. First part of the cycle was totally fine, it was only after they were mostly dry. And of course, the sweaters load was more problematic than the underwear load.

There was a case like five years ago where an ISP couldn't figure out why their customers in one particular area of apartment blocks kept losing their internet connections at 9 in the morning. After spending about a month going through wiring, changing out equipment, on the 6th attempt they found out it was an old lady with a really old TV dumping out noise into the area. This old lady was of course very upset that she was causing all this trouble for people, but she couldn't afford a new TV so the ISP ended up buying her a new tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/cursedPC/status/1296533967907229699

ticket closed: working as intended as printers are horrible mechanisms