Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapMoron posted:

I got a message from a co-worker that Dell pulled all of their Meltdown BIOS updates and sure enough, they aren't on the Dell drivers pages. No announcement, and nothing from our Dell rep apparently. Anyone know what's going on?

Intel admitted the microcode updates they had pushed out could cause the CPU's to corrupt memory and crash, so pulled them. All the OEM's followed suit. Intel is 'working on a fix'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

larchesdanrew posted:

The best graffiti came in.

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

And I looked down upon them and whispered "no"

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, by showing that you are considering another job, you've demonstrated to management that you aren't 'loyal' to the company and will be the first on the chopping block. I know the opposite is true (you could have just left) but that's not how management will treat it, and as soon as they can find someone to replace you at your original salary (or less) they will.

Severance would be a good stopper for that, but good luck getting it in a non-management or non-union position.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

The cheap powered ones can reliably transport 1080p content over ~100 feet, and the higher end ones can handle somewhat higher resolutions over even farther. I think there's very few as of yet that will support full 4K resolution though.

There are also ones that will convert hdmi/dvi to cheap single mode fibre, and those will reach a thousand feet without issue. You do want to get ones that have a separate power supply, and not the ones that try to parasite power off of hdmi.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PirateDentist posted:

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

*New to us! The spares were made in 2012!

I guessing cap failure. Don't let your boss know, or you'll be tasked with soldering in new caps for all of them. I'd also glance at the power delivery for that stack, see if there were any events that might have come through and killed the switches.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Developers push code overnight (normal process)
Load spikes once business starts (load-average 254 on a 16-core box)
Developers send email about system monitor alert "Do we know what happened to cause this"

It's not nice to punch people in the head for being stupid, sadly.

"What was the most recent change?" ... "I suggest you start there."

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

Got an actual weird question. I have a user who wants to have a bunch of fonts installed so she can use them to design Powerpoint presentations according to our sales people's new design guidelines. I want to set Powerpoint so that it will always have Options -> Save -> Embed Fonts in this File checked off, radio button below it always set to "Embed all characters." It defaults to unchecked for any document unless it's already been set.

I could just tell her to do it manually and make a document walking her through it, with the alternative being setting up a GPO to deploy 47 additional fonts to all users in the sales department OU so that everyone's got it. Anyone know if there's a way to do the embed settings automatically? My google-fu fails me.

The blank 'new' document is actually a template you can edit, so it should be possible to turn this on for any new documents she creates from that template. I forget where the default one is located, though, sorry.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

siggy2021 posted:

The owner of our company wants a floor to ceiling, edge to edge whiteboard with no seams in one of our conference rooms. Then one on the opposite wall in that room as well.

I'm not sure what in the hell this has to do with IT, but here we are I guess.

The paint cant work, but if you boss is willing to spend, look at a product called Walltalker. It's basically a wallpaper that is a proper dry erase surface, and they also make a magnetic one. It's mad money, though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there are people here who work from home with kids, does anyone have experience soundproofing a home office? I'm reading mixed reviews of stuff like that soundproofing foam. My job involves a lot of being on the phone and occasionally I can WFH when needed, but a place that I might be staying has a baby, and I really don't want a crying baby coming over the phone on a business call.

Foam relies on thickness to muffle sound, and muffles higher frequency sounds much better than lower frequency ones. If you don’t have space for foam and want something that will kill across a broader sound range, look at the sound deafening material they make for cars. It’s a thin sheet like mat with a sticky side, and uses high density and heavy weight to reduce sound passing through. It’ll be pricier, but can be very effective if you don’t mind glueing something to your wall.

You could also look at the cork board wall sheet ( goes under the brand walltalker ) as a sound deadened with some utility

You can also get sheetrock for sound deadening in various grades and abilities, but it means redoing all the drywall.

You will also need to investigate sound gaps, like poorly fitting doors, vents, cheap window fittings, empty ceiling space, etc.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

capitalcomma posted:

What are the benefits to permanently disabling AD accounts as opposed to deleting them?

Audit history. You also don’t end up with tons of ‘unknown account {<Sid guid>}’ items popping up.

The impact on AD, even with hundreds of thousands of disabled items, is tiny. Doubly so if they are in their own OU.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Our helpdesk's present "fix all the things" is to run gpupdate and escalate when that doesn't do anything.

Gpupdate /force has been our helpdesks go to first step for years. The other side of that is our group policies are so crazy it actually works a lot of the time to get things working again. :(

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

3 loving hours with a guy whose laptop won't get web pages without being connected to the VPN and surely this is my fault as the ISP

I eventually got on the phone with an IT guy from his employer who has agreed with my conclusion of "i don't know what the gently caress, it can clearly get to the internet or it wouldn't connect to the VPN successfully"

:iiam:

His proxy is set wrong. The proxy server is reachable through VPN, but not otherwise.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LethalGeek posted:

Guess the phone doesn't phase me as much cause I'm doing an act the entire time so once the call is over I don't "stay" with it emotionally. I know I'm weird though.

Many years ago when I worked a call centre for a dial up ISP, I developed a completely separate personality for talking on the phone. All I did was lean back, close my eyes, and snooze while a bit of chipper personality with an encyclopedic knowledge of Windows 9x, trumpet winsock, and our dialing software talked people through the solution to their problem. Very weird, I’d have no memory of a shift at all after walking out the door.

I got fired for back talking the idiot supervisors they had, and overall it was for the best, it wasn’t until I’d lost the job that I realized I was getting stuck in that ‘mode’ when answering the phone at home and had to fix myself up.

I work an operations job now and I just sneakily fix peoples poo poo in the background and they dont even know it’s done until they get the ticket closure email. Probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but it saves me loads of time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've gotten to the point that I just dont deal with dumb responses to emails anymore.

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, please talk to SupplierPersonB.

Me: Thank you SupplierPersonA, I will talk to SupplierPersonB! SupplierPersonB, are you available on any of these dates?

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, you need to talk to SupplierPersonB about that!

SupplierPersonB: Hi Real Muenster, what times are you available?

Me: Hi SupplierPersonA, as you can see (screenshot with what I said highlighted) I was addressing SupplierPersonB. SupplierPersonB, I listed my times in my last email.

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

I will, in cases like this, move the no longer required person to the CC list. Most people who don't pay attention to emails also don't read anything they are CC'd on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

this might be a tall order

Please UNinstall Microsoft Azure. It messes with my other software and especially with secure encrypted email and attachments. It prohibits me from opening a lot of my work.

They mean Azure Information Protection, which is an endpoint software product that does data classification and plugs into the office suite to ‘help’. It’s bloated crap, but beside making everything slower everything else should still work.