Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Ghostlight posted:

So a drive on one of our unofficial servers died - it makes a weird noise that sounds like a POST beep code, but must be the arm or disk spinning up for a second and then failing. There is some unessential but valuable information on the disk which was not backed because you guys, we all work in IT of course it wasn't backed up.

I've tried freezing it, which at least allowed the BIOS to proceed, but once I'm in Windows the disk shows up as uninitialised and I'm pretty sure if I initialise it that blows away any partitions that are there. The weirdest thing is that it shows up as a 3.8TB capacity disk when it clearly has 2000GB printed on it.
Do I have any options other than intialising and hoping that gets the information back?

Wouldn’t your best bet be a data recovery service at this point and hope for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Hopefully start filming it

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

The moose would retaliate with a flock of Canadian geese

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

I worked fully remote for the previous 8 years before changing to a job that requires me be in the office everyday (downtown Phoenix yay!) and holy poo poo does it make a huge difference in happiness and how you feel at the end of the day - how much time you sit in traffic, money for gas, and how much earlier you have to wake up to commute, etc.

I did the math once and found I’d be relatively comfortable giving up $5 an hour to work from home everyday.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

So I give up more time instead.

I actually moved out to where I am while working full time in London, because house prices.

The point isn't so much that I could or couldn't have a lower cost commute, it's that while I'm on the high end of the bell curve for this, $5/hour feels like they're undervaluing the cost of their commute in time, happiness, and actual cash. Even commuting with season tickets etc used to cost me £800-900/month.

Your commute sounds way more intensive than mine in time and logistics. I spend $40 a week on gas and have an hour commute where I jam to Pandora or listen to podcasts in the car.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

If I had a 4-5 hour commute everyday I’d have to be remote at least several days a week or be able to rent something nearby and make the long trip on the weekends.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

incoherent posted:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2004/04/08/me-too/

Time to post this great old story. Not even microsoft could escape an CC event horizon.

Before work locked down DGs to restrict senders to groups with > 250 people in it, CC storms were a great way to pass the morning when they happened :munch:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Being better the SfB is a pretty low bar. My main issue is that everything is in the same window, making it hard to keep track of multiple conversations at the same time.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Renegret posted:

I bought some switches on ebay to build a home lab.

One of the switches had a nice little MOTD notifying me that it was property of the Arizona Attorney General. It had no password on it.

Having worked at the AZ state capital, I’m completely not surprised by that.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

I was told this week by a recent hire in HR that we in IT needed to make a printable copy of our org chart, rather than using the online copy that’s tied into our ERP system.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

I hope you provided them with a screenshot of a QR code in minecraft as a result.

I need to find someone who can crochet that for me first.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Geemer posted:

The website I have to take mandatory safety training on has a fallback option for a flash player in case your device doesn't support html5 video.
They also recently upgraded password complexity rules from the ubiquitous "at least 8 chars, mixed case, number, symbol" to "at least 6 chars, absolutely no spaces or symbols except for _ (underscore)", making it impossible to log in with passwords set previously that contained other symbols.

If it wasn’t for the website comment, I’d guess you were dealing with a financial company with seriously old legacy systems..

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

“Wickenburg is a total loss” Well, he’s not wrong about that..

https://youtu.be/iXuc7SAyk2s

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

orange juche posted:

I really feel for the ISP guys, gently caress, having to troubleshoot an issue when the end user is like "Oh you mean that's not a cupholder?" is awful.

Customer facing ISP support is its own special level of hell. I once spent 30 minutes trying to get someone to type their password to connect.

It wasn’t that they didn’t use the correct password - they didn’t know what to enter in each field and then couldn’t find it :cry: I think it ended up being a 90 minute call to get them connected, but at least they were nice.

The most entertaining customer we had was legit schizophrenic and was convinced the FBI was hacking into her dialup computer at night to leave pictures of decapitated mice.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

orange juche posted:

I mean were they leaving pictures of decapitated mice?

I didn’t hang around on the line to ask but I found her site on Archive.org: Wiolawa

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Years ago, I covered the helpdesk for a large grocery chain and one night the data center went down (electrical issue). We put a recording on the phones saying that everything was offline, including payments, orders, email, etc. and that the issue impacted every location and employee.

The entire time, we had callers tell us they heard the message but wanted to be sure that it included them :fuckoff: At least my call stats were awesome that night.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

HR just rolled out a program to invite people to Team channels according to their non-work interests across all the depts in the organization. This will go well, since we're a public entity and our messages are subject to records requests.

e: The "General Entertainment" channel with several hundred people just disappeared after we started talking about what shows we like to watch.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Jane: I need access to these files to do my job and also as a top-level manager I think I need access to what the company shareholders are discussing in order to help with long-term business planning.

Manager: Please grant user Jane full access to drive X and grant her access to the Shareholders intranet site.

Me: It appears that Jane already has full access to drive X, and is an owner of the Shareholders intranet site because she created it.

Followed up by a ticket several hours later about how their site is now missing (because they deleted it).

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

An increasing number of users are reporting that their monitors "flicker" with no other information, and (naturally) they don't do it when a tech shows up to have a look.

Option 1: People don't like that we're handing out previously loved monitors in pairs as matched as possible or in singles from our inventory for telework and want to get A New One (which we don't have).

Option 2: Magic monitor gremlins.

I get this issue on my Dell Latitude when it's docked and I've got 3 monitors hooked up to the Dell docking station (1 HDMI, 2x DP) - it's only the HDMI port that has the flickering problem. Updated the firmware on the dock, swapped out the cable, and changed the monitor that uses the HDMI connection and it follows whatever monitor is using the HDMI port. If I only use 1 HDMI and 1 Display Port or DP only, the issue goes away.

It's super irritating because it's intermittent and can happen every few minutes to a couple of times an hour.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Downloaded the latest changes to our deductions from the Benefits vendor and noticed that it had all the medical and dental changes from open enrollment for the entire org.

Awesome, except that we did the open enrollment imports the week of the 22nd and had our first payroll of the new fiscal year (where these changes would have impacted) last week.

This is the same vendor that completely omitted an entire group of voluntary deductions in their data feed to us, going on two weeks and no resolution yet :downsgun:

The best part is that VPHR keeps asking why we can’t just fully automate the process (because peoples checks would be hosed and we wouldn’t know until it was too late).

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

A ticket came in: Seemingly if someone creates a mailbox with the same email that was used for a Team, the Team gets deleted.

I haven't really investigated it fully, so I could be wrong, but that seems like a feature that we all asked for.

Looks like I'm gonna have fun testing this on Monday

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

yeah, that's why I think I'm wrong - A user created the team, another dude in our team created the email and he was not working today, I just picked up the phone to "ahhh my team has gone" and restored it

Let me know how it goes, it would be interesting to hear what happens

If it’s like my users in HR, one of the owners of the team meant to leave the group and instead deleted it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

ETA: It's also fun to say "Sorry, gotta drop from the meeting. Building is being evac'd. Check with my manager in $distantCity for updates."

That’s always a fun feeling.

We had an AC unit burn out and start dumping smoke into the callcenter, triggering the very loud smoke alarms while I was on the phone. The poor fucker tried to say I should stay on the line with them until I fixed their problem but gently caress that nonsense and just hung up on them.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I did a gig for T-Mobile at one point, and got a guy screaming that his Cox cable was out. When I informed him that he had the wrong number he went off on me that he knew we were all in the same room somewhere and that I needed to walk over to the other dudes desk and tell him, its just good customer service.

People like that are why I was so happy to find out that pressing F3 would cause Aspect to disconnect the call without recording that you hung up on them.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Track those metrics and put them in your resume bullet points. Always be resume-ing

I keep a section in OneNote for every major project or milestone that I was key in, and have a folder for accolades. It can be a pain to remember to do sometimes but it makes self evaluation time a breeze and comes in handy during annual reviews.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Years ago I had the joy of hearing about a call that came into our tech support queue from a store wanting to know what to do about a fire in their store (that was still burning and in the process of spreading).

They had printed instructions in front of them but weren’t sure what to do. They didn’t hit the “this is an emergency” option and came in on the regular queue which usually had a several minute wait.

We promptly told them to gtfo and call 911 if they hadn’t. Thankfully no one was hurt but the store was a complete loss (and likely would have been regardless), but still..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I'm currently baffled at my this process email I've received for "e-signing a document."

Its a document with about 30 names on it, and it needs to be digitaly signed for "compliance reasons." So each person needs to do the following.

Download the file from the link in the email, making note of how many people have already signed the document.
e-sign the file via acrobat.
Upload the file to teams, folder and OVERWRITE the original file.
This way your signature is added to the list of existing signatures!
Check that the number of signed names is what you did before + plus one! This way we ensure no one is missed off

I honestly had to check this a few times to make sure I didn't misunderstand. I am eagerly awaiting the second batch of emails going "X you haven't signed" followed by "which one do I sign there's 27 copies of the file in the teams folder"...

Getting a strong HR vibe from that description..

Meanwhile everyone else out there is using DocuSign and just automating the entire process (except the old timer in HR who doesn’t want to update their forms) and going about their day.