Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fortis posted:

Came in to 238 emails (I've been out since the 22nd), literally nothing from the COO about how he is going to replace IT's missing management. He's known about this, and has been in this office, since the 26th.
I checked our payment processing system and I still only have authority over the 5 support guys & sysadmins. It still says I report to my old manager.

:shepicide:

It was the week-ish of Christmas and New Year's. I've never had a company that got anything worthwhile done in that time.

Maybe you're right, but maybe everyone was out on vacation, or at least enough of them to make handling something like that impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

my cat is norris posted:

Ty! Our solution thus far has been to send out instructions for disabling it in Office 365's settings. I'd disable it for the whole tenant if I had things my way but like three people in management LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the feature so it stays.

Disable it for everyone and then enable it for those three guys?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Monitor was upside down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

kensei posted:

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!

Bless your little heart

Translation from American Southern English: Holy poo poo, you're hosed

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ponzicar posted:

If I saw what looked like a new pair of boots in the trash, I would assume that they were there for a good reason, probably involving disgusting body fluids.

I don't even LOOK in the trash. I just assume that if it's in there, it's, you know, trash.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cloud computing refers to weight, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dogstile posted:

I dunno if I can really agree with that, I don't assume the absolute loving morons in horror films are absolute loving morons in real life. Case in point, Chris Hemsworth in "Cabin in the Woods" (watch that)

Cabin in the Woods is a really good movie, but that comment makes me think you should re-watch it. Hemsworth's character wasn't dumb, at all, and anything he did that was dumb was the result of outside influence.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

goddamn it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have a VM that is ballooning its thin provisioned vmdk to the maximum size (just over 2TB) when removing a snapshot taken by my backup software. Just this morning the vmdk was at 900GB (reasonable for what it is). I manually ran a backup and the software took a snapshot of the VM. So far so normal. When the software requests to remove the snapshot from ESXi, the vmdk goes crazy and grows to 2.144 TB and the snapshot removal takes a solid 3hrs.

Once this whole song and dance is done I can run disk optimization in Windows then manually run unmap on the MSA to reclaim the space, but ?????????

I have absolutely not idea what's going on here. Gonna be a good Thursday.

Is it a windows VM?

If so, I'm curious what your max shadowstorage size is set to for each drive. To find out, in an elevated command prompt, type

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Are any disks set to UNBOUNDED? If so, you could set an upper bound on size with

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=X: /on=X: /MaxSize=20%

If you do this, the snapshot will probably fail rather than balloon infinitely, but at least your VM won't choke.

(You can use any %, or any size in MB like 1000MB to made it at a gig)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does your backup product use application-aware backup processes that utilize VSS? Or interface with Exchange/SQL/Sharepoint to manage transaction logs? If either, I wonder if it's freaking out because there's no shadowstorage assigned at all.

Does it behave better if you give a minimal amount of shadowstorage for each disk? Like 10%?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

So a text came in from last job.

'Hey, hope the new job is going well. Could you call *new support person* and let them know how you fixed the windows 10 no USB devices working issue? Thanks"

You mean the issue that I thoroughly documented how to fix in an email thread, in my tickets about the issue and in the internal documentation? Sure I can call them. I'll make sure to send you the bill for my time.

"My hourly rate is $200, four-hour minimum. What's your fax number so I can send the contract?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My experience with apartments is that most unreliability issues are due to interference from fifty other wifi networks using the same channel(s).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nexxai posted:

Question time: I'm writing a script to automate the mounting and spot checking our full-system backups and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a file that I can check that would change pretty frequently? I don't think something like this exists and so we might need to manually add something to our backup jobs to create some kind of text file with a timestamp in it that I can check for staleness (e.g. if the timestamp is older than one day, we know that the backup isn't grabbing the latest version of the file and so we should investigate), but if something like this already exists, I'd love to know about it.

Run a script on the computer that writes the timestamp to C:\Somewhere\filename.txt, then check that.

Way better than checking some file that *probably* updates every day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Claptain posted:

This. I would just create a scheduled task which runs a script that writes to a file daily.

This is how I test all my backup related stuff.

The script creates the file if it doesn't exist and appends the timestamp and a newline to the end of the file. Script is scheduled to run X times per day.

If I'm also testing databases, the script checks for a table, creates it if it doesn't exist, then adds the timestamp on a new row.

Then when I restore, I check those things and always know if it's got the latest data.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PirateDentist posted:

I thankfully don't have to deal with it, but we have one database that's old enough to drink. It's been migrated though a few versions of Access. :v:

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/

And specifically: http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/access/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

Ive seen this a lot. Varchar(50) is the default datatype/size for some database engines, so when you build tables lots of fields end up as this because why bother actually analyzing your data ahead of time?

My entire job is to find large problems in our company, and arrange for them to be fixed. It's an incredibly broad remit and lets me poke my nose into whatever I come across.

Once upon a time, our Ops department was in hot water. See, for as long as anyone could remember, you had to reboot all of our servers ever 48 days, or they'd crash on the 49th. Given we had hundreds of servers, they were rebooting several servers a week, causing this low level downtime across internal tools and customer-facing outages.

I found out about this at 1pm some day. I thought "oh, wow, that's an awfully specific time period," and started doing some math.

How may hours is that? Seconds? Minute? Milliseconds?

Oh, 49 days is about 4.2 billion milliseconds. Unsigned INT data types max out at approx 4.2 billion.

Time it took me to figure that out: about 30 seconds.
Time it took me to send an email to the VP of Ops: about 30 seconds.
Time it took his team to figure out that they had this uptime counter/reporting service that counted in milliseconds and was overflowing after 49 days: about an hour

Time saved by Ops in man hours for reboots: 3-4 hours per week.

Time I'm still amazed that no one figured that out before I did: over a year and counting

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would very much like a job like this

It's both the best and the worst.

It's the best because I get to make a meaningful difference at any level of the organization. It can be anything from "we lack proper documentation on problem X" to "oh poo poo this problem could bankrupt us". I've done presentations and roundtables with everyone from our L1 call center techs to C-Levels.

It's the worst because, while I FIND problems all the time, I generally can't implement the solutions on my own. That requires working with other teams, and requires me to weasel my way into their schedules. I constantly have to prove that no, this really is an issue, and yes, it's costing us more than your current shiny project could every possibly earn, and no, this can't wait six months for you to finish that project, and no, jesus gently caress, have you ever heard the term "sunk cost fallacy"?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have dealt with the exact same thing

Haha me too. I remember when we were switching some of our call center folks from laptops to VM-based workstations, and one of the bullets in favor was something like

"reduced chance of agent downtime due to negative interaction between magnetic jewelry and laptop sensors"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

This sounds like something that would be really interesting, but I'd be concerned that it limits your options to move onto another company when you're done. I actively try to avoid getting involved in certain things where I am now because I don't want to be involved in purchasing, sales etc. as time spent on that is less time that I can spend focusing on where I actually want to develop.

Eh, I've got an easy stepping stone to Product Manager, Project Manager, or some kind of Analyst role. The thing keeping me from taking that step is that I work from home full time, drawing a coastal salary from Oklahoma. Hard to match that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This place is like the wild west :cripes:

Often times people will finish tickets with "fixed" or just leave them open (I'm told they have a good reason for it, or it's not actually "fixed" yet) with no updates since last august in Jira.

When asked about what kind of culpability other teams have for not being clear in their tickets was met with a shrug. When asked about who harps on the team for not providing feedback to other agents (they'll complain things shouldn't have been escalated, but then they don't update the tickets succinctly for other agents to follow back up on, or walk over to you and tell you what you did wrong), was met with a shrug. When asked about "what about if someone comes in late, is there a number to call to let someone know ahead of time?", it was met with a shrug.

Almost no central repository for information, lots of tribal knowledge, etc.

If anything, I'm hoping my involvement will result in :whip: others and/or management to come up with better processes. I have a feeling I'm probably going to have to spearhead that, based on everything I've seen though....

This your new job, or your old? Cuz if it's your old, you know I got your back. Send me the deetz at work.

If it's your new, I can probably give you some pointers on how to start tackling this stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The use of metrics to drive change really comes down to the priority of the organization. A good org will have multiple priorities, and drives towards industry standard metrics in those priorities. Common metrics include handle time, customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, number of contacts per case, time-until-close per case, etc.

The thing is that, for most orgs, the #1 priority is cost savings, with customer satisfaction coming second, and employee satisfaction dead last. They can and will cut costs any way they can, even if it pisses off everyone.

Those people are, IMO, doing it wrong. Not to say there's never a case to change internal procedures, but thinking outside the box a bit can have even bigger returns. It's possible to make significant financial inroads with little impact on customer/employee satisfaction. There will always be those who are pissed about change, but steps can be taken to limit that. In some cases, you can even improve satisfaction.

I mentioned before that my job is basically to find problems, and fix them, wherever they may lie. I work for my company's Support org, and we have three call centers in operation. Pretty much everything I do is targeted at reducing Support costs. I spend at least 3/4ths of my time working with Engineering, Product Management, etc to modify our products based on Support and/or customer (which in turn reduces the burden on support) needs.

As a great example, I'm currently working on a project to improve log collection processes for one of our product lines. A rough estimate is that it takes 10-15 minutes to get the log gather tools to a customer, run the tools, and begin the transfer back to us. Transfer takes as long as it takes, and often it's long enough we have to end the call and have the customer email us (requiring another touch on the ticket to verify).

We do this on roughly 20% of all incoming contacts, and when we need logs, we almost always have to get them multiple times (average is about 2.5 sets of logs per case that requires logs) for one reason or another. That's a huge waste of time on everyone's part. It's boring, and it's frustrating for both Support and the customer, especially if something goes wrong and you have to start the gather/send process again (a semi-frequent occurrence).

We gather logs thousands of times per month, which costs us hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. It should be automated. When we need logs on a live contact, there should be a button to click. And if it's not a live contact, like an email case, we should be able to tell the customer "click the button and contact us again when it's done."

By this time next quarter, I expect the automation will exist. It's costly enough to jump to the top of the priority list. Boom. Done. Saved 10-15 minutes on 20% of our cases.

End result: We used metrics to find and isolate product-level issues, get fixes for them, metrics go up, customers and employees are happy, and I get to move on to the next big thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Macaroni posted:

Man, I wish we'd use some of the tools in ServiceNow for that kind of thing. They are apparently a pain in the rear end to implement--my last job was thinking about starting the process in 2019, and we'd been on SN since 2014. Current job's overall implementation of SN is already a clusterfuck, and nobody is making any moves to improve things.

You'll never get what you want out of SN itself.

My advice is to set up a separate reporting service. Create a SQL job to pull and (if necessary) massage the data from key tables SN, and place the results in a separate database. Have this happen daily-ish. If you can't do it, put together a project and pull in people who can.

Then point a real data application, like PowerBI or Tableau, at this new source. Or hell, just have a job dump a .csv daily and use Excel (this sucks long term and is better used as a stopgap to refine the data source before you unleash a real data application.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

*at an analysis meeting to go over a major outage we had and resolved*

Manager: is there anything we can do so we don't have to lose a full day of data if we have to restore?

Me: have a mid day backup?

Accountant : No, that might make the accounting program laggy while the backup is running

Manager: well nothing can be done.

Break up the backup job into multiple smaller pieces that don't impact performance?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

devmd01 posted:

A ticket came in yesterday: “all of the windows 7 machines in AP bluescreened simultaneously”

:psyduck:

Reminds me of this

https://web.archive.org/web/20140518204308/http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are you kidding me? With that kind of holier-than-thou attitude, he's obviously a Mac user.

Yeah, Vegeta is 100% a Mac dude from before Macs became mainstream.

Piccolo is the Linux dude.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's gotta be some weird driver conflict or something of that nature.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

This is a backup job for a site that loses power on the regular....

Someone needs to split that job up into multiple smaller jobs

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rujasu posted:

Yeah I'd love to know what that smiley is supposed to be.

I always thought it was a little guy with a party hat and one of those blow-into-it-and-it-unrolls party favors.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My office recently renamed meeting rooms after famous rock bands. Except for one, which was named after a famous female singer. Now we get to crack jokes about having a meeting "in Beyonce".

Our meeting rooms all have Star Wars names.

I usually just book whatever room is the appropriate size, but there's one exception. I always book Alderaan when I have to deliver bad news to a group.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Data Graham posted:

Have they picked up on the pattern yet?

I don't deliver bad news that often, so no one's picked up the pattern. But someone did catch the one-time correlation once. "You picked an...appropriate...room didn't you?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

At the possibility of sounding like captain hindsight - why do remote locations with no IT staff have infrastructure that needs backing up? Are they not a VDI candidate?

There are several factors that limit cloud/virtualization of small businesses, including but not limited to
-By not having an IT person, they may not even be aware it's an option.
-If they know it's an option, they may be scared because it's new and different
-If they're open to new and different, they may be cost-adverse. Why spend $xxx/month when that secondhand server my kid got from an estate sale for $300 still works?

And so on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I once helped nasa solve a backup issue with a system on the ISS.

They were using a disk with 4K physical sectors on an OS that didn’t support it. It was causing VSS to freak out and fail randomly and intermittently.

The astronauts swapped a few drives around between systems and requisitioned a new one.

So there is a hard drive in space because of me.

I’m already on the space force.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlternateAccount posted:

I will never close a ticket this cool.

It wasn't even my ticket! It was for a product I didn't even work on. The ticket had been bouncing around for a while, and the head support guy said "let's ask ConfusedUs, he knows Windows backups, maybe he can figure it out."

They sent me an email and some logs, I looked them over, found the issue, passed it back with some assorted Microsoft links to back up my findings, and went on my way. Seriously took me like ten minutes. I didn't think twice about it.

I didn't know it was for the ISS until a week later when the head support dude came up to me and told me what had happened, and how a hard disk was gonna go to space because of me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Methanar posted:

How well does rotational media work in zero G?

Apparently well enough? It was a drive I recognized, a WD drive IIRC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

freeedr posted:

I'm a nurse.

I think you, very much, have a "somebody else's problem" problem here. It is good, even admirable, that you care enough to want to help above and beyond your duties as a nurse.

However, it is extremely unlikely that you'll be able to effect any sort of change by taking on IT-related duties when you're not in IT. All you're doing is picking up someone else's slack and hiding the problem from whatever metric may be used to identify said problem. That metric may a hard number somewhere, or something as soft as someone noticing IT is falling behind. But by doing their job, they're able to push off that day further. Plus every minute you spend doing their job is one you're not spending on yours.

Furthermore, you're exposing yourself to risk. Ask yourself the question: what if you break something you were working on unofficially? What are the results of that? Could the cost of replacing that come down on you or your department? You work in the medical field: could someone die if you broke the last working laptop? I don't know the answers, but I sense a large penumbra of risk around this situation that I, personally, would hesitate to enter.

You would almost certainly effect more change by taking your concerns, with evidence and preferably with a dollar sign attached, to your boss or your boss's boss, while exposing yourself to far less risk.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PirateDentist posted:

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

They just rotate through blocks of numbers for who to call and what number it comes from, the jerks. For the latter, they try to make the Area Code and Prefix match the number they're calling.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha I had exactly the same set of thoughts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iospace posted:

Or you could bike like I do. Bit more efficient

It’s not worth the hassle to maneuver the bike through the bedroom, down the hall, and into my office.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It succeeded at doing nothing--it's like a dream come true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

At least they have Two-Factor Authentication now, right?

Right?