Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

fishmech posted:

Dual SIM phones usually just make you manually select a SIM to use as the main connection which will be used, and you have to then remember to switch over to check things/use data on the other SIM. Some do allow you to receive messages/calls on the secondary SIM while you have a primary active, but you have to manually select things to have your data go over it, your typical calls, etc.

My moto G5 (and previous dual sim android phones) makes me choose a default data SIM, but I can receive calls on either SIM at any time. For outgoing I can either set a default, or pick as and when I make a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

spog posted:

A windows update borked my budget tablet - something got corrupted in a UEFI file and it would bluescreen on startup.

No biggie - just flatten and reinstall, right?

1- boot from USB isn't enabled by default.
2- an arcane combination of power/volume buttons will sometimes get you into a recovery screen...but not always one with boot options.
3- Windows refuses to install on the existing drives and you need to fart around with DISKPART to get them usable
4- (ignore this one where I removed all the partitions from the USB drive instead of the internal drive and so had to redownload Win10 installation again)
5- Windows is a bit tricky to configure when you are stuck in portrait mode and the touchscreen doesn't work
6- Get it all working, run a few updates and then it dies utterly
7- spend another day trying different power options and doing 100 different versions of the vulcan nerve pinch to restart it
8 -Pull the rear cover off with my bare fingernails and a Starbucks card, disconnect the battery
9-Profit!

I had a similar problem with an older LinX tablet. It wanted to install the newest Win10 update, but there wasn't enough space, so it suggested adding a usb disk, which I did. The update started, but it turns out that the update takes longer to run than the battery charge lasts, and you guessed it, there is only one USB port, so I can either charge it, whereby it boots to a screen saying 'please insert USB upgrade media' or insert the USB stick, in which case the upgrade runs until the battery dies.

Through some swearing and hard resetting, I got it to rollback to the previous update, but no more win10 updates for that device.

spiny
May 20, 2004

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm a small shop still (1 man) so I go for fun names. Currently my ESXi server is Asgard and it hosts Windows servers Odin (Accounting and Files) and Loki (Exchange)

At a previous job we had inhouse Exchange. The main server was called Pat and the backup was Jess, as in 'Postman Pat and his black and white cat'. This is probably meaningless to non UK people, but it always made me smile :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I somehow have a genuine ADC-made tool and it's so much nicer than the cheap versions. You can decide whether you want it to cut or not, and it has an interlock so it won't cut the wire unless it punched it down properly. The whole Krone range is so ridiculously German.

For my sins I do occasional punch down stuff, I have a collection of different 'krone' tools, some work better on some panels than others, so I mix and match:

Mostly I just do patch panel stuff now though, and even that, thankfully not very often.

spiny
May 20, 2004

kool-aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had a
coworker
who couldn't
put a single thought
in a single
line

And they would
produce chains
of messages like this.

In this case it was good that they were actually in another state. If they'd been in an office, I'd have brought in a nerf gun with the intention of shooting them for every message they sent.

Just picture the conversation being spoken my Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.