Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for hooking us up with the educational licence kensei, we can find room in the budget to upgrade in the next financial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Well, poo poo. Here we are again.

I'm not sure you ever left, DT.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sormus posted:

"Web break at drying section, would tell you the reason, but all our cameras are saying RESUBSCRIBE. Forced to do a full system was just incase. Estimated downtime 6 hours."

Resubscribe like reconnect or resubscribe like "your subscription has expired"?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That sentiment is implied for every post in these threads.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Knormal posted:

Tell them you did as requested and ordered the biggest computer you could find.

Do you think she's proud of "doing the work of two people", and not saying to her manager "hey how about a raise since I'm apparently worth twice as much now".

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol remember microsoft briefcase

gently caress, I do now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fortis posted:

edit: i should have expected this tbh

Oh man how did I not see that coming. "I'm now doing the job of two people in addition to my own aka I'm not going to do it at all but technically the role is filled" is absolutely a COO move.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 21, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

18 Character Limit posted:

Help, the new ticket thread is generating weird fanfic about posters that the old thread didn't do. Please open a vendor case.

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing that kicks me about printers is not the "electromechanical" part, that in my experience works fine. It's printing to the loving things.

It was 2016 when I bought my [decent brand] multifunction printer with the goal of having a thing on a network I can print to and setting it up was a complete shitshow, often requiring multiple power cycles to get it to work which kinda defeats the point.

It actually works *better* on wifi than on a wired connection, and the feedback from it is godawful.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Register are such smarmy cunts.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Entropic posted:

That’s why they’re great.

They also have a whole workshop's worth of axes to grind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dravs posted:

Edit: Also this only seems to be affecting CPU architectures in between Sandy Bridge and Coffee Lake (so like the 3000 series to the 7000 series?), so if you are still running a 2550k on your home PC like I am then you shouldn't see any problems.

When you say "in between" do you mean inclusive? As 3000 series are Sandy Bridge.

Also what's your source on this? I can't find any detail.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

iospace posted:

3000 series is Ivy, 2000 is Sandy.

This one's mine according to Intel.

Edit: I'm not pretending to be an expert here, I've never followed the dumb codenames closely.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 3, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, this is because you have Sandy Bridge-E and the HEDT/server socket chips are out of step with the regular desktop and laptop chips by 1 generation. Sandy Bridge Socket 1155 is 2000-series, but Socket 2011 is 3000-series along with Ivy Bridge Socket 1155. Ivy Bridge Socket 2011 is 4000-series along with Haswell Socket 1150, and then Haswell socket 2011-3 is 5000-series like Broadwell which didn't even have a full desktop release...

It's a mess. Thanks, Intel!

I stopped understanding all this business with the death of the Athlon XP.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

incoherent posted:

I'm confused, why are you in charge of notifying for 4 different dept renewals? Why don't you just renew it all and charge back the dept?

This seems like a disingenuous question.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Click, ctrl+a. Fast enough?

⌘/CTRL+L

Also if you're clicking in chrome it'll highlight it all for you anyway.

I have a persistent memory of selling a car and the guy typed google into his address bar which searched google for google, clicked it, then searched "yahoo", then clicked the result, then searched for the thing he was looking for. I was aghast.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 10, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is one of the advantages of web software, because you have independent HTTP logs which carry a lot more convincing PII like source IP and browser.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data Graham posted:

And you know they'll all just magically get faster afterwards, for an unrelated reason.

Yeah, placebo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

gently caress printers? How about printers after a year of storage on a building site.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So, business as usual?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a common misconception, but that character is actually called Zelda.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

why are you posting metal gear characters in this thread

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't there some goon in ones of these IT threads that buys all his mission critical server hardware off of eBay?

That's some serious :psyduck:

The only time I've willingly bought company hardware from ebay was buying specific older mac pros that had PCIe slots for an ageing product photography camera.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kurieg posted:

a British "Public School" is equivalent to an American "Private School", No I don't know why it's like that.

Because they're "public" in the sense that they're open to students other than local kids, so a similar sense to "public house" (and equally archaic) rather than "publicly funded".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nielsm posted:

In England the "public" in "public school" refers to the fact that it's not limited to the nobility, any member of the public can pay to be educated there. ^^ oh nm, just me making up things

It's changed several times over the centuries so we're probably both right and both wrong!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Seriously, man, grab all the Buffalo stuff. I hear that poo poo is GOLDEN!

I can't, I overfilled my truck and it crashed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn't concern you.

:five:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But remember that this company had to be threatened into losing you as an employee before they were willing to budge. The competitor was willing to offer you everything you wanted based on your resume and interview. They might have a bit more respect for you out of the gate.

Very possible, but also possible that they were so wrapped up in their own lives and objectives that they needed a little jolt to remind them that their well-performing employee existed and shouldn't be taken for granted. We don't know they were "unwilling to budge" before because we don't know if Oyster ever asked for these things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oyster posted:

During my last reviews I specifically stated that what I make is not sustainable, especially on 3% raises that were handed out. My boss responded that he had no control over it and in fact didn't even know how much I make, which I was a bit dumbfounded by. When the SVP called he quoted exactly what I make and asked specifically if matching the other company would be enough. Seems like I just needed to get to the correct people.

Yeah, gently caress 'em then.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Who was it that was considering taking a counteroffer? https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7s69tb/ma_wife_turned_down_another_job_because_her/

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

What if vendors or clients see that? Not a good look.

What if vendors or clients have to go near poor people outside? What if it rains on them? What if they get stuck in traffic on the way to the office? Not a good look.

Sometimes people need to accept that there are factors outside of our control.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

This is still a point of confusion for me, their docs are inconsistent about which models of their cameras do and don't support active PoE with or without inline or AC adapters. Their datasheets disagree with their own knowledgebase entry.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fishmech posted:

deep underwater

Near the hydrothermal vents spewing sulphides and radionuclides?

fishmech posted:

deep under the Earth's crust.

Down there with all the decaying uranium?

Maybe we should suggest they live up above the clouds in the.. oh.. solar winds? drat it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

faraday cages have to be electrified to work :laffo:

??? No they don't.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

if they're not grounded, they would, else how is a stable electrical field going to be achieved.

Grounded is not the same as electrified? I'm confused.

They're big metal panels for absorbing radiation, so yeah grounded is best to reduce reflection but there's no "stable electrical field" unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm sure it's grounded. Heck, the comms cabinet in my house is grounded, took five minutes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data point: I have aluminium heat spreaders in my suspended timber floors for the underfloor heating, and they function very well to block wifi and cell signal even though I don't want them to, and no effort was made to ground them.

Try sitting a metal tin on a rubber mat, putting your phone in and calling it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grounding creates a stable field. not that it matters in this case since there's huge holes in the middle of the cage.

Also no mesh on the floor :shrug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not Enemy of the State?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

Yes both of these is my guess.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

So, when I was doing tech support for UBNT, there were four of us doing support for them, total. This was... 5-6 years ago. Their camera system and their TUFF Cable were our bane, as tickets about them NEVER ended well.

At the time, the Camera team was a bunch of people in Lithuania, and the NVR team were in the USA. These guys basically didn't talk to eachother. The cameras wanted to stream video, and the NVR wasn't even a dedicated NVR, it was just a software package you installed on a standard PC. So if you had more than a couple cameras set to record at once, you would only get SOME of the video because the cameras would fight over the connection to the computer, and the NVR didn't care, it just recorded whatever made it through the network bottleneck.

This was a known issue, and had been for several YEARS. Their solution was to start designing their new NVR box, rather than figuring out how other security camera systems worked.

Thanks for this. To answer your question as to why anyone would buy their cameras is that I didn't know any better so I was planning to, now I am not. Ubiquiti is still pushed hard by the home networking thread here and without a point of contention like this why wouldn't you buy everything from the same vendor?

chin up everything sucks posted:

But during this multi-year period they kept selling these cameras as security camera systems, and we would constantly get people emailing in saying "Hey, I need some video for legal reasons and I can't find it..." and our response was "If you can't find it, it's not there, this system doesn't work with more than 3 or maybe 4 cameras at once".

They sell them in packs of 5 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It will indeed be a 2/3 AP home office with the ol' security cams and 48 active ports.