Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sad that I can't find the BT wholesale hold music online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I had never heard Opus No.1 before today. Most hold music over here seems to just be a tinny version of Fur Elise.

At one company I was asked to wire Radio 2 into the hold system, and we'd occasionally take people off hold and give them a bit of a jolt because they'd lost themselves listening to whatever rando discussion was going on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We've got a ticket backlog of over a week and a user was calling up bugging me about a ticket they filed an hour ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Error: No Sauce found"

Perhaps try the pomodoro technique

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A ticket came in..

:tinfoil:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good work, McDonalds.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes I noticed that top shelf grammar too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don't go tarring us all with the same brush.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Some real :biotruths: up in here

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

And you didn't have a BOFH excuse ready?!

*flip flip flip*

solar flares on the

*flip flip*

mainframe substation

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Hah! I just looked the Herman Miller Aeron up and that is basically the exact chair I have now, mesh fabric and all. No wonder it lasted so drat long.

You weren't kidding about the price though.

You can buy replacement pistons for these on ebay. Apparently they're a huge hassle to swap out which is why I've had one sat in a drawer for months waiting for me to be bothered to install it.

Still, a lot cheaper than a replacement Aeron.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't mean to gloat but I'm happy with the resilience that's coming from being in an org that's close to 100% remote workers. Essentially no change for our day to day.

If the disaster was internet-based perhaps it would go the other way.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

boy fuckin' howdy lemme tell you it's great looking for a new contract in the middle of the loving Death Stranding

Guess what you really needed was a Re-entry Strategy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have a CD copy of 98SE lying around somewhere that I used to keep on my desk at work. I'd threaten to install it on people's computers when they pissed me off :v:

Nostalgia for that install screen

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

We switched to using Discord which has near zero lag, but that ties the players to using computers or other mobile devices as their screens where Twitch and Youtube both offer multiple ways to display on a TV.

Also presumably harder to do if the person with the games is on a console.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It was better than Michael Clayton, which was also not as bad as people make out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's a good free phishing test for SMBs?

Post your contact list to pastebin

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough - I meant that I'm curious about how an icon can be more dick-like without just being a dick.

🍆

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Well, I've just learnt something about both of you and I wish I didn't

Blame twitter for that one. It's in the zeitgeist.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know this is straight up “the cobbler’s kids have no shoes” territory for me to say my work computer is poo poo and I don’t want to troubleshoot it, but also, gently caress that I have work to do.

I didn't used to think this was a realistic thing that happened but I've been running a web development business for 7 years now and I still don't have a website for it.

Like, I have a domain with email, but over HTTP it doesn't even resolve.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 11, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's that creeping mindset that had me switch from unix to OSX, and it's taken 15 years of Apple making GBS threads on everything for me to start moving back.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

hard to imagine a more enticing invitation to some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland adventurer

I know proper linguists were involved in making that place, but I feel like using negative conjunctions is a recipe for disaster when dealing with a culture which is expected to have a weaker grasp of your language.

quote:

place ... place of honor... ... highly esteemed deed ... commemorated... nothing ... valued

Hopefully they understand the word "danger" and bother reading that far.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

the more of that wikipedia article i read the more hilarious it is. this is their plan for making the disposal sites unappealing to visit. all of these sound insanely cool

gonna take my grindr profile pic at the Forbidding Blocks

would've thought the Black Hole would be more appropriate

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rorac posted:

I've always thought some form of pictogram would be ideal. Forget labeling what the danger is, that might make it more difficult for any sort of translation. If you seal something like that with multiple doors (and why wouldn't you?), having something like a picture of a human body nearby a smaller skeleton on the first door, and increasing the size of the skeleton relative to the person (with the final door being perhaps having just the skeleton) as a sort of symbolic "you are approaching danger/death", well that seems reasonably universal. If they're going to bust open that last door, then no warning you could've put down likely would've stopped them; you did your due diligence.

I think they're doing that too, to be fair.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

If pictograms threatening death for the opening of a sealed tomb were effective we wouldn't have the field of Egyptology.

To be fair, they knew there was gold in there.

Darchangel posted:

The bigger the warning, the better the treasure. Better just putting basic warnings out - the human brain is perverse.

Who says it'll be humans :psyduck:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm unsure if this is still true, but in the UK when you received SMS to your landline you'd get it read out to you by text to speech.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You youths. For one of my modules, and I am not joking on this, we handed in hand-written assembly printed on greenbar on a dot matrix printer.

At best we handed stuff in on 3.5" floppy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

All my finals were handwritten, though it wasn't that long ago, like 15 years?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Camels are also an invasive species in Australia from what I remember and trucking around the interior in swarms, so they're probably glad to be rid of them.

(I may be slightly mixing up their camel problem with their emu problem but I think they're both problems)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jorath posted:

This was the practice in my programming class in 1987. How the hell did things not change in 20 years??

Tenure.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I once saw a sysadmin accidentally drop the production DB in the middle of the day. Restored it from a backup, wasn't too bad.

Personally I once typed something like `install-bsd DESTINATION= /path/to/the/jail` instead of `install-bsd DESTINATION=/path/to/the/jail`, which the OS interpreted as `install-bsd DESTINATION=/` and installed a fresh freebsd install right over the top of itself while it was running, in a data centre 250 miles away.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Computers are the mirrors that show us for the fools we are.

Even with the monitor turned on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

I mean, those certainly exist, but I've rarely seen one in the wild. Unless the facility you were at has those (many do not) and you specified one......yeah, I would have expected exactly what you got.

Yeah, when I'm renting from explicitly a colo place I expect to be mixed in with everyone else, that's what the "colocation" means to me, though I'd hope everyone would only have access in the presence of the person who's actually renting the rack.

Though that said, a lot of places rent by the half rack and I'd probably expect to be in literally a half rack cabinet, but perhaps that's naive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

any colo I have been in(5 or 6), if you you don't pay for the square footage for a cage, you don't get a server secured against the other customers touching it.

Guess I got lucky, I assume because the guy I was renting from didn't have a better way to give people access to the building.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

In the facilities I've been using for the last......really long time (a mic of everything including Equinix/DRT/Telicity/random local places), yes that expectation would indeed be naive unless it was called out in the contract explicitly. In some very in demand places it's not even an option, and many people are renting by the RU not even half rack (Sovereign Telhouse, I'm looking at you).

I was renting 1U so I knew what I was getting there, but at the time I remember assuming that if I forked out for a half rack from the big boys that I'd get isolation, definitely willing to file that under late-teen naivety.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I have 2x 32A 240v to a half cabinet in east London, but it's not really surprising that the land of data centres also has lots of power.

Pour one out for Redbus

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

It's honestly an indictment of how brittle IT systems are. They are designed by people with no consideration to how humans actually work.

Using something mutable as the primary key anywhere is bad. People have been changing names for centuries and yet still systems are set up to rely on something mutable…not being mutable. It's maddening.

Other insanities: Trying to fit people's names into rigidly designed schemes. I've had this fight at our org that really got under my skin because someone just could not accept that requiring Firstname, Lastname with each being (len(name) > 2) DOES NOT WORK. WE ARE A UNIVERSITY YOU MORON, YOU KNOW WE HAVE STUDENTS THAT DON'T FIT INTO THAT FOR FUCKS SAKE. Jfc this is still pissing me off because it is so utterly pointless.

Had another fight with the same guy who was like "oh, but they never tell us their gender, so we have to guess from their first name, this is very important so we can know how to address them". Just ask them how they'd like to be addressed you antisocial gently caress, for gently caress's sake.

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

The hell was your email address? Nobody has time to type all that.

I mean I'm not gonna say it, but suffice it to say both my name and the organisations domain were both quite long, so with our powers combined..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

I feel like retail workers catch a LOT of poo poo from customers when technology doesn't function properly. The amount of apologies and shrinking I see when the card reader or scanner isn't working properly tells me customers are loving assholes when they're inconvenienced for more than a few seconds at a time.

When I see that, I reassure them the best that I can, typically along the lines of "haha, yeah. I've been working in technology for more than 20 years. Nothing surprises me anymore". That typically will stop the spinning and allow them to continue to do their job without fear of me going off of them.

Same with customer support people on the phone when they front load apologies and assurances about how long it's going to take them to look up your details in their system (which is usually like 5 seconds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is there any appetite for reverse engineering the software and writing something new? This old unsupported poo poo tends not to be very sophisticated.

(bearing in mind I work with medical approval software so I know how much of a pain it is to have it validated for FDA at the best of times)