Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Our org is slack based and I have ram this home when talking to vendors who complain that we just @ them in our shared channel instead of emailing or opening a ticket. The only emails I get are GitHub, jira and vendors.

gently caress their issue tracking then, hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Your issue tracking is done in email instead of a dedicated ticketing/issue tracking system?

Because just copy/pasting the update into the ticket is trivial, and if you get such volume of slack based stuff that it becomes a time sync, write a plug-in

Given how much people in this thread rail against people who don't open tickets, "just copy paste it into a ticket" is quite the hypocritical take.

Also you conveniently missed this part, I guess:

luminalflux posted:

Our org is slack based and I have ram this home when talking to vendors who complain that we just @ them in our shared channel instead of emailing or opening a ticket.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there any reason not to just go with firstname.lastname? Why do people come up with these convoluted abbreviation schemes?

Jaded Burnout posted:

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.

long.name@long-suborg.long-org.tld pushed me over that. I still prefer that pattern, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rooted Vegetable posted:

We also make user beg for likes before we'll help.

Up vote this so the VP Engineering will see!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I honestly do think a model that allows people to see a ticket and join in so you are actively helping a larger group at once, with elements of users being able to escalate themselves if enough people sign on has its benefits.

Then I remember what people did to the internet

Doesn't work amazingly well on github issues, and that's a relatively well-behaved group of users. But yeah, in an ideal world.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

The other downside I can see doing that for an internal system is "helpful" employees who are "good at computer" spending all their time surfing issues "helping" other employees.

Yeah the other case study I was thinking is apple/microsoft forums filled with people who don't really know what they're talking about.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Merijn posted:

Unlike sysadmins, because hardware is always objectively broken or working.

I can't tell if this is irony or not, but there's just as many ways of doing things in the sysadmin world that get their own sticks in the mud.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I wish I could close tickets with 'observer effect' to track how often it happens to me, I get sooo many where I currently work and I'm so sure it's just people concentrating when I'm watching them and not the magic IT voodoo they think I possess.

There's a hidden button on the floor next to every user's desk that fixes the problem when you kneel on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

We're with Exponential-e at the office for our ethernet service, they have presence in the local exchange and it's their network all the way back to London, and they seem to have a ton of peering arrangements and transit using providers like NTT for other things. I've seen too many startup providers throw everything at Cogent and it's just not worth the tiny savings once you're at the point where you're buying ethernet.

Is that their business leased line service? Do you know what your install cost was?