Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

IT's me, I'm the ticket

I just wrecked my work laptop by trying to reclaim 40gb of an unused partition to the main drive using gparted. I had to de-bitlocker it first though

Gparted worked fine but it wouldn't boot and I of course did not backup poo poo or create a recovery media or anything

luckily I had a windows 10 usb media hidden in a forgotten pocket of my bag (found my favorite pen too in the same pocket!) that i happened to remember and used that to get a win10 cmd prompt and fix the boot mgr bdc or something now i got that sweet sweet 40gb to fill with more poo poo from sharefile and other pain in the rear end development stuff :rock:

What's a pen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Danyull posted:

Issue: Client appears to have carbon monoxide poisoning.

:10bux: says her touchpad is on and something is interacting with it.

Also she is batshit crazy

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
A ticket came in (at midnight):

"Database full in Exchange server"
User called in reporting that he hasn’t gotten email since 1:00pm today. We investigated inside the exchange server and found an error on one of the exchange databases (arcmboxdb4) “431-4.3.1 STOREDRV, mailbox disk is full”. This database is stored on server: <SERVER> within the H drive. The H disk on this server is almost full.

Who needs to be contacted for follow-up and what is their expectation regarding contact: <USER NAME>, only email, user is not available for the rest of the night

:negative:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

I might be a bad technician because this falls squarely into my "outside of scope" pile as I click Send on an update email I know the user won't receive.

I mean, you probably could, but it's more satisfying to forward that up to his boss with my formatting and 'wtf' at the end of it.

Gotta weed these dense techs out early, after they hit 90 days you can't get rid of them

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

hihifellow posted:

One of my coworkers at my new job told me the story of how they used to not have any spam filters in place, and that people would spend 15-20 minutes in the morning just cleaning out spam. He saw how much time people were wasting on this and puts in the first spam filter, which does a pretty good job and cuts out almost all of it.

It took a while for the "I'm not getting any email" tickets to die down.

A couple years ago a relatively tech savvy friend posted on FB about how email is totally inefficient and out dated, asking how anyone can be expected to sort through hundreds of spam emails every day, and demanding to know why businesses still use it or how anything ever gets done. I replied suggesting that he put in a ticket with whoever manages his company's email because that's not normal. He blocked me and I haven't heard from him since.
:smith:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

blackswordca posted:

I'm not authorized for remote work. Plus side, I get to go home at 2:30.

I'm not sure what Vogonesque procedure is needed for me to get remote work, but not having it means I'm not on call.

TBH if WFH requires you to be on call sometimes, I think you made the right choice.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

Our on calls aren't so bad, and I like the extra money.

Also, my work is a 20-minute walk from my home, so I tend to avoid working from home; I like the physical and psychological separation between my home and my work.

I thought this and did not like working from home. Then I had to move an hour away. Now I'm pissy I have to fight to do it a couple times a month

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody can read though, so they will hit reply six months later and say “this is broken again!!!”, then repeat it CCing increasing numbers of C-levels each time.

Theoretically, once a ticket is closed in ServiceNOW it cannot be reopened, period. Some of our monitoring tools manage to re-open weeks old closed tickets instead of new ones, but we are assured that cannot happen.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve seen closed tickets get updated Activity Logs, usually via the email listener, but I’ve never seen it actually change from a Closed state back to Active.

Oh yeah that's tons of fun when it's an offline alert on the second page (where no one is going to look). We were told it wasn't possible and actually had to find more to prove to the devs it was broken. Apparently one incident that clearly closed and then re-opened a month later wasn't enough.

We frequently see Solawinds block a ticket from going to resolved even if the issue is no longer present, that problem comes and goes every few months. I'm confident that in 2-3 years it will be working as well as the CRM we left behind because someone didn't want to renew the license before SNOW was actually ready to go.

The other problem that I've been asking to be fixed for a year is auto-resolving tickets after we change the status from new (meaning we've worked it and contacted the customer). Email them at 3am that the office is down, Comcast resolves their outage, the site comes back up, and no one on our end lets the customer know. The devs are apparently insisting it works just like it did before (it does not), and this is a low-priority feature upgrade. It happens with all 3 of our systems (when SW isn't keeping things from closing entirely).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

oh rly posted:

This is default behavior. However, admins can setup any field to be editable after ticket is closed. We allow activity log to allow support folks to update ticket with any additional info. Default behavior is to move INC ticket to resolved and then system auto closes after 3 days. There is a property to change the time limit.

I believe that. But after 72 hours, we're not able to add anything. There are times it would be nice, if only to say issue recurred, see inc000#######

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Malek posted:

Our ticket system is balls and we reopen it if we get an email and decide it's worth reopening.
Also I don't think it's about the last word, it's about "I'm going to respond to let them know I got their email."
I like thank you emails. Had a customer call me "bruddah" once. Made my day.

I'm one of the only ones in the department that responds to 'we are back up now' or 'we arrived in the office and everything is fine' emails and it's infuriating. We have a few guys that will just close the ticket. Like dude, at least acknowledge that they are up, and maybe confirm we show their stuff online too?

I don't know how many we have that do this vs. flat out ignoring email though - about 15 hours of my week is spent going through email from my days off to make sure customer replies were even looked at and usually find a dozen or so that were not. Before I started doing this, it was always fun to find that month-old ticket where the customer replied to us within minutes confirming a maintenance window that night and needing to email back saying 'hey sorry this was missed, ignored, and forgotten, can I do it tonight?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
We had a customer down for a day or so. Eventually, the ISP reported wet cabling in a pedestal causing errors on the circuit. After being provided this information, the customer called us in a panic asking where the pedestal is and if it's located in the building because

The server room:

We've explained 3x that the pedestal is one of those green boxes outside (and this one isn't even on the company's property, it's further up the street) and she's still worried and asking if it's possible their water heater leaked and caused the issue. I don't think we can say no again without being condescending. Lady, if you want to replace the water heater, do it. It did not leak enough water that it somehow got into their cabling on the other side of the block. The ISP spent a total of about 2 minutes in their office and said nothing about any problems found, I don't understand why she's so fixated on the idea that their water heater may have caused this.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not a bad idea for them to not have all that equipment next to a water cylinder - if your contact is shooting for an excuse to get it all moved then maybe help her along a bit?

How? The problem wasn't even in the building. We actually have notes showing we told them it's a terrible location for network equipment when we set it up (very unusual that we would have notes like that at all).

e: I sent another email saying that if water damage is a concern it's probably a good idea to move the heater or network equipment but nothing in their office contributed to this outage.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 24, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I snuck an ill-timed edit in there, you guys are probably right. I'm just so used to them not understanding things I didn't even think about that.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A network outage came in: we can’t access our hosted ERP system or our ticketing system, which means I can’t get any work done. It’s out in Comcast-land somewhere according to our admin’s traceroute. Fun.

gently caress yeah, time to get some reading done

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gunjin posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to reach through a phone and strangle someone more then at the end of a 40 minute call to get a new box flashed when the tech told me to “Have a Comcastic day.” Ok maybe the time I was trying to get a new box activated and the tech spent the entire 25 minute call talking like Emo Philips, then hosed up the activation to the point where I had to call back and get a different tech.

Basically, gently caress Comcast.

drat it now I’m thinking about how they decided to move 1/4 of our boxes to a new account number without telling anyone and then forgetting to put them on the bill so one morning 12 of them just stopped working for non payment and it took them over a week to figure out how to fix it.

gently caress Comcast.

Or the time I had to start yelling and arguing when I was trying to cancel my service after they lied to me both over the phone and in person and left me with a bill about $40 a month (plus an installation fee) more than had been agreed to over the phone. I had to say some variation of 'turn it off' or 'cancel my service' ten times before they did, and then said they could not give me any form of communication confirming it. Fortunately I did not keep getting billed.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
My first computer that was mine and not my family's was a Dell with ME. I thought I was just really bad at computers and didn't realize until years later it want really my fault. If nothing else, I learned a lot about Windows troubleshooting!

Dell's hardware was great, though. That monitor lasted like 12 years, and the speakers survived even longer, I didn't replace them until I knocked a full very large class of water into one of them.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

i had one place ask me for client references when i told them i had been doing freelance work.

Everyone here has done freelance work for everyone else here, y'know. We just may need to be reminded what specifically we signed you on to do....

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mehall posted:

Over the last year, my current job has gotten worse and worse, less technical responsibility for me, no pay progression, stricter and stricter on breaks, all becoming more like a call centre, less like a helpdesk.

Yeah, that's a terrible thing to experience, I'm glad you got out :unsmith:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

The use of metrics to drive change really comes down to the priority of the organization. A good org will have multiple priorities, and drives towards industry standard metrics in those priorities. Common metrics include handle time, customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, number of contacts per case, time-until-close per case, etc.

The thing is that, for most orgs, the #1 priority is cost savings, with customer satisfaction coming second, and employee satisfaction dead last. They can and will cut costs any way they can, even if it pisses off everyone.

Those people are, IMO, doing it wrong. Not to say there's never a case to change internal procedures, but thinking outside the box a bit can have even bigger returns. It's possible to make significant financial inroads with little impact on customer/employee satisfaction. There will always be those who are pissed about change, but steps can be taken to limit that. In some cases, you can even improve satisfaction.

I mentioned before that my job is basically to find problems, and fix them, wherever they may lie. I work for my company's Support org, and we have three call centers in operation. Pretty much everything I do is targeted at reducing Support costs. I spend at least 3/4ths of my time working with Engineering, Product Management, etc to modify our products based on Support and/or customer (which in turn reduces the burden on support) needs.

As a great example, I'm currently working on a project to improve log collection processes for one of our product lines. A rough estimate is that it takes 10-15 minutes to get the log gather tools to a customer, run the tools, and begin the transfer back to us. Transfer takes as long as it takes, and often it's long enough we have to end the call and have the customer email us (requiring another touch on the ticket to verify).

We do this on roughly 20% of all incoming contacts, and when we need logs, we almost always have to get them multiple times (average is about 2.5 sets of logs per case that requires logs) for one reason or another. That's a huge waste of time on everyone's part. It's boring, and it's frustrating for both Support and the customer, especially if something goes wrong and you have to start the gather/send process again (a semi-frequent occurrence).

We gather logs thousands of times per month, which costs us hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. It should be automated. When we need logs on a live contact, there should be a button to click. And if it's not a live contact, like an email case, we should be able to tell the customer "click the button and contact us again when it's done."

By this time next quarter, I expect the automation will exist. It's costly enough to jump to the top of the priority list. Boom. Done. Saved 10-15 minutes on 20% of our cases.

End result: We used metrics to find and isolate product-level issues, get fixes for them, metrics go up, customers and employees are happy, and I get to move on to the next big thing.

Yes, but if we do all that AND cut headcount 7% and freeze all new hires, think about how much more money we'll make this quarter!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

vas0line posted:

A developer walked up today and asked me to help them connect an Android tablet they were using for testing to one of the hidden SSID's in the office.
Instead of doing it for them, I googled for "connect android to hidden ssid", clicked on the third link, and repeated the instructions aloud while the developer followed along.

A software developer.
Who probably makes $95k/year.

I swear to god when people come to work they turn their brains off. Like, what do they do at home when their TV won't turn on?

Software engineers are some of the most computer illiterate people on the planet.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

it's come up before, but google is a skill. knowing how to do a search that will come up with the relevant info isn't something everyone can do, and it's part of why it fields so many off the wall questions.

try getting someone to google their own issues sometime and watch the weird poo poo they find.

A fun exercise is trying to find the name of some of the lesser known Pokemon by describing the picture to Google. No reverse image lookups and this obviously doesn't work if you know them all, but it's kind of a neat way to practice search terms, especially by getting rid of more generic terms to narrow down your results.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

PremiumSupport posted:

Only method I know of that actually 100% works is making the computer part of a domain and setting updates to domain admin managed in GP.

I would love to disable updates on my home PCs but everything I've tried has failed so far.

e: Blacklisting Microsoft doesn't work. We have several timeclock tablets that are not domain managed and are set to blacklist everything except the timeclock website that still update themselves regularly. Always at the worst possible times.

You could try to get Windows to think it's unlicensed.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

You take that back, they are the best vegetable.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Yeah, I don't argue with fruits :colbert:

Onion is not a fruit :mad:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Agrikk posted:

Whatever it is, put a wedge or two of an onion on a chicken and beef kabob with red and green peppers and some cherry tomatoes and roast that poo poo over open flame. All the kebabs. Do it.

Two slices of good whole grain toasted bread + cheese + a bit of deli mustard + mayo + bacon + a slice of onion = mmmmmmmm

But yes kebabs need onion too!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
We had internal email and replies from customers getting caught in the filters when we first cut over. Seems like they've mostly gotten that figured out though.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
As I'm sure most of you know, XO was acquired by Verizon. One of our customers has a XO circuit at each of their sites to run the VPN back to our datacenter. One morning, the connection in their Boston office went down. XO confirmed the outage, but was really light on details. The next day, it was still down. Still no meaningful details. It's worth noting that each call we placed to them had a 2 hour plus hold time during this. Finally, the afternoon on the second day (two full business days after the outage began), XO tells me that all customers out of that office are down. Power to the XO cabinets was disconnected by building management because of past-due rent. In the merger, there were 'some difficulties' integrating XO's accounting system with Verizon, and the info for this location "fell through the cracks". It took them a 3rd full business day to get service restored, a good 24 hours after they had not only identified the problem but realized they couldn't keep it secret any longer.

Funny how it's never customer billing info that gets misplaced, right?

My dad spent his life working on oil drilling regulations, and DESPISES the oil companies. I am beginning to understand this, but ISPs are my oil companies.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 9, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

He's lucky that he has the ability to.

Yup. My choices are Comcast or high-latency options.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Chunjee posted:

:geno:: I found this username/password combo in plaintext logs
:downs:: Ok what do you want fixed?
:geno:: please remove that field or censor it. We don't allow usernames/passwords in logs
:downs:: but the Database team stores passwords in plaintext, I think
:geno:: seems unlikely, but please fix these logs
:downs:: I think the old legacy system stores them in plaintext too
:rant:: fascinating, can you mask these logs now?
boss: mask the logs
:downs:: ok

Man, after that exchange I'd be going out of my way to look for plantext login info on everything I touched.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Wrong thread!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sickening posted:

At least its working hours. I find I can't even stay for company paid happy hours if they aren't during office hours.

Update: I'm not going, gonna work from home that day and log out a few hours early instead.

Finally got permission to WFH twice a week as long as I'm there on Wednesdays.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was told to stop putting in my ticket notes that I used all my resources because it makes us look like we don't know what we're doing (we don't) :negative:

I just started putting all that stuff in a field the customer can't see. I'm not going to take any poo poo for not having the resources, access, or documentation to do what I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm not going to leave all my steps and attempts out of my notes.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Have you considered that the last person to borrow it took the parts? Some places don't always make sure the equipment is alive when taking stuff back (ask me about the time a MacBook return actually contained a very old MacBook that didn't work meticulously wrapped in the cellophane). Cash of course, back before BBY required ID for all returns, so the store just had to eat it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dragonshardz posted:

It's entirely possible! Winkling that out isn't my job, though - I don't have the tools or experience to do so.

It certainly is, and was going to be my next port of call if the BIOS recovery drive didn't work. However, "mysteriously missing hardware" is a bigger problem than a turbofucked BIOS.

I'll have to hunt up a list of HP blink codes - we're an entirely HP shop (don't ask me why, I have no clue) so it's probably handy reference material.

It was probably blinking because it didn't have any RAM. Pop some DIMMs in there and I bet it takes you right to the 'no bootable device' screen.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nexxai posted:

I must be having a stroke

You may take an extra 5 minutes on your lunch break today (you will have to stay late to make up this time).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah I looked into NordVPN a bit and the reviews and stories don't seem to set off any alarm bells, and they won't play ball with Netflix which means I won't have to turn it off every time I want to watch something.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

You don't, but there are some exit points that work poorly with Netflix. I'm in Europe and found the Dutch exit points work well.

Yeah my understanding was that if I had a US endpoint it would (broadly speaking) work fine for US content.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

quote:

This job has been running for about 90 hours now, the average time that it takes to complete is between 155 and 165 hours.

Due to the power outage and subsequent san issues the job was started on Thursday instead of Friday night so If everything goes well it should be done sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday.
I will inform you when the job completes so that a window can be planned for this maintenance.

This is a backup job for a site that loses power on the regular....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nominal posted:

An email came in at end of day Thursday from a teacher, sent to me and two people from my department that handle the "who gets what equipment" stuff for one of the schools I take care of. Teach was wanting to know where the other 8 brand new ThinkPads were that he's supposed to be getting. He only has 20, there are supposed to be 28.

This is particularly bad for a number of reasons:
1) he's supposed to have a secure cart/charging station that all of this stuff is kept in, but in his case he'd just moved from the third story down to the basement. The moving crew decided not to move his ancient, gargantuan beast of a cart with their motorized stair climber, and as such they ended up at the bottom of the stairwell with a crumpled wreck that was missing it's wheels and had doors that would no longer close. So that was nonviable. A replacement was on the way. I was amazed nobody was hurt.
2) it's 2 weeks after school started. Why is this just coming up now? They were delivered a solid month ago at this point.
3) I'd DEFINITELY imaged 28 laptops, and dropped off 28 laptops in 4 neat and easily-countable stacks of 7, and even came back and checked them again each day for several days after I'd delivered them, and made sure that his door was locked. I was hoping to run into the teacher since they show up and start getting their rooms prepped about then, but we kept missing each other. So I just tossed him an e-mail basically saying "Your cart is hosed, but there's a new one coming, I rigged some makeshift charging stations instead, please keep your room secured in the meantime"
4) Here's where I really hosed up: I delivered them a couple weeks before school started, which means the room was empty. So I was the only one that witnessed that all 28 were delivered.

So, yeah, missing equipment is pretty much exactly what I was dreading would happen there. I spent a large chunk of the evening running through nightmare scenarios of how 8 laptops could have walked out of the building and how much poo poo I'm going to have to eat to account for them, regardless of whether it's my fault or not. Meanwhile, that evening the two folks that handle the equipment allocation decide we should have a meeting URGENT STAT FIRST THING tomorrow with the principal to explain that there's potentially about $4,000 worth of laptops that have mysteriously evaporated.

I come in the next morning and check SCCM while the meeting was starting, maybe I can see if they'd checked in to our network recently, which would at least indicate that they're probably still in the building (because the teachers at this school are vultures and screw each other over constantly). Sure enough, there are 8 PCs that have not checked in since I'd delivered them. FUUUUUUUUCK. The meeting went about as I'd expected, which is to say, not well. Pretty much all eyes are on me and really all I can do is basically say "Hey, they were delivered to a secure space, after that, it's the teacher/school's responsibility to make sure that your equipment doesn't grow legs" which despite being true, is really pretty unhelpful at the moment, so I didn't actually say it. It is decided that at the end of the day, all the teachers will tear the school apart from top to bottom looking for missing laptops. Which is also unlikely to be helpful, because not only is it Friday and everybody will want to leave, but really it's probably a teacher that's most likely to have moved and/or taken them, so... fox guarding the henhouse and all that.

After enduring about 40 minutes of silent reproach from the principal and lots of helpful advice but also plenty of "lol ur so hosed" from my two coworkers, I decide that maybe I should actually just start with the room they're missing from. I head down and he has his laptops stacked neatly in the back of the room. They've been moved since I delivered them, but only by a few feet. There are definitely 20 instead of 28. I put my own laptop down on top of one of several vacant student desks nearby, squat down to the pile of laptops in front of me, and start checking property control numbers against my inventory. I swivel back to my own laptop to key some things in, and now I'm eye-level with the opening on this vacant student desk, which.... I now notice just happens to have 8 laptops crammed deep inside of it, for some reason. Could I actually be this absolutely loving ridiculously lucky? There is no goddamned way I'm this lucky. I am never lucky. But yep, sure enough, there's my 8 missing devices.

Several lessons for me here:
1) nobody gets any equipment anymore unless they are present and can acknowledge that they've gotten what they should. This should have been obvious, and I totally dropped the ball here.
2) I'm not agreeing to any URGENT STAT FIRST THING meetings about a problem anymore unless I've had a chance to at least even loving glance at the problem first. This was a new thing for me, so hey, now I know.
3) Users are all maniacs hell-bent on wreaking havoc on themselves and everything and everyone around them. I already knew this, but it's good to have it reinforced from time to time.

Is it possible that the teacher hid them there so that once they got declared 'lost' he could walk off with them without too much worry about getting caught?