Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

It's mandatory. How else can you build team spirit?

I really dig the way we handle it.

If it's a mandatory company wide thing (quarterly meeting or whatnot) they schedule it for the end of the day, normally 3:00 or 4:00 PM. Kegs are rolled in and people enjoy a beer or two during and after the meeting if they wish. Once it's over, you're not expected to return to work, but if you have to (people are expected to be Responsible Adults and make a judgement call as to whether or not they need to keep working), you're free to keep enjoying beverages until you are done and can either drive home or expense a rideshare if you feel like you need to, no questions asked.

Some people bail immediately after, but most of the time people will drink and hang out and bullshit, sometimes about work but often not, until 5:00 or so. People will actively help others finish their work for the day so everyone can enjoy some downtime.

When we do events for charity (most recently a dodgeball tournament) it's much of the same, minus the mandatory part. You're encouraged to participate or at least cheer your teammates on, but it's understood that people have lives outside of work and striking a balance is actively encouraged.

You'd guess we're a tiny company but there's like 800 of us now. It's really difficult to maintain a culture like this but if you must do mandatory things, do them during the work day, make them not suck, and people will generally not hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

So.. fun for all!

:sever:

Culture is the #1 thing I look for, and it's hard to get a feel for what all it actually entails before you've spent a few months working there, so I rely heavily on my network for that.

I really lucked out in finding a place with an excellent culture, great pay, and decent benefits (could be better but are made up for by the other factors, and the company has pledged to improve them over the coming years).

I found that if I'm at a place where I was miserable for 8 hours a day it bled over into other aspects of my life. I made a promise to myself not to do that again, for my sake and the people around me.

I busted my rear end for many years to get to where I'm at, but it means I'm out of the day-to-day break/fix ticket queue, which has been liberating.

I've followed your story for a while now and I know you're a hard worker and clearly have the smarts to know you're capable of more. It's never too late to find something that makes you happy. :)

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Are the apps owned by Fiserv? If so, by "calling the vendor when it breaks," you mean "filing a ticket with a vendor when it breaks, then harping on them for months to loving fix it."

Too loving real, this was a major part of my job at a bank. Now that I'm on the vendor side integrating with the Fiserv, FIS, JHA trio, I no longer believe Fiserv is the least competent. :downs:

:yotj: though! Banking is actually a pretty decent place to be in technology in my experience.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Though fiserv changes monthly as they buy competitor products, absorb 10% support staff and gut the rest. Then that support staff trains fiserv people.

So every new thing they role out has three months - one year where it's total and absolute poo poo, followed by it being ok again.

While I'm sure they right the ship with some of their stuff (some Fiserv stuff is absolutely best-in-class and, weird as it sounds, a joy to work with) this isn't always the case. See: Corillian/Voyager. CheckFree bought Corillian in early 2007, everyone was thrilled. Fiserv bought CheckFree a couple months later, and most of the original Corillian folks were either made redundant or got out quickly after seeing the writing on the wall. Fiserv was left with a monster codebase that they didn't understand, so they outsourced most of the dev and professional services work to India. There's been little to no innovation on the platform since, it runs like poo poo at scale, and making any change to it (all banks want their own custom touch) costs dump trucks full of money.

Before I left the bank they told us something like a $10MM overall price tag to bring forward customizations and upgrade to the latest version, which had only minor new features that didn't really apply to our customer base.

Last I heard, their OLB customers had been mostly carved up by a few other OLB shops and they were thinking about putting it on life support.

Thanatosian posted:

I am amazed that Fiserv isn't the least-competent. We have been discussing whether or not we think their support people are deliberately sabotaging us to get us to switch to managed services.

My worst experiences have been with FIS, but Fiserv is a pretty close second. Recently JHA has been pissing me right off, but generally speaking they're not awful and certainly the lesser of three evils.

At some point I'll share some of the ridiculous stuff I've run into but I think it may have to wait until I switch industries (no idea when that'll be, life is Real Good where I'm at), as Financial Services is notoriously tight-knit, word gets around fast and I'm not looking to burn any bridges.

E:

Irritated Goat posted:

You're gonna have to work hard to get me to believe Fiserv isn't pants-on-head dumb. See: Datasafe

:stonklol:

Probably the worst product that Fiserv sells. I'm so sorry.

nullfunction fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 8, 2018

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

18 Character Limit posted:

Until the moment Something Has Gone Wrong. Then papertrail becomes suddenly exceptionally important.

Doubly so if you're in an industry that has audit requirements.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Get whoever made http://thefuckingweather.com (nws language obviously) to do it.

The packets are loving fast/slow/lost!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Please do not touch the structural cabling.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
A recruiter came in and got promptly unfollowed.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

do not say bind /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

:stare:

I'm currently dealing with the joys and pains of running a system designed to be run in one datacenter out of two datacenters at the same time for HA. The web and application servers don't store state locally, and it was straightforward to get our DB layer stretched across, but the session management doesn't do any sort of replication as far as I can tell, which is a big problem when nobody respects DNS and the whole design hinges on GSLB to keep people coming into a consistent DC for the life of their session. :mad:

I'm going to get dns_haiku.jpg blown up to poster size and hang it in my office.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Well if, we are going to be all picky about it, you are supposed to have a DR site in a different geographical region: preferably on a different continent, ideally on a different tectonic plate.

A bank I worked for had to put their secondary datacenter in another state because Texas is all one power grid.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I actually spent months troubleshooting with an ISP to figure out that the internet was so poo poo at a site (huge packet loss) when it was windy. Yes. Exactly when it was windy, there would be crazy packet loss to entire connection death. I don't even remember what random thought lead us to notice that and actually check the weather in relation to the loss we were seeing.

One of our folks lives in a very rural area, and I had him test something for me yesterday and he just had a terrible time of it. Timeouts, drops, poor network performance, general instability. He acknowledges that his ISP is poo poo, so we're having someone else test, but he messages me this morning and now everything is humming along fine. It was sunny for him yesterday and is raining today. :shrug:

We had a point-to-point T1 circuit at the job I worked in college, and it would go down every time it even looked like it might rain.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

it's against company policy to drink in the office.

Our policy is that if you're drinking at the office you can't work on production systems and if you get too drunk the company will pay for a taxi/rideshare to get you home safely.

Pretty much every time I'm in the office, I end up getting lunchbeers with a bunch of the engineers and we turn the majority of Friday afternoon into happy hour, it's great.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Do you work in the 1970s?

The Fool posted:

They would have just let you drive home drunk back then.

:yeah:

We're a company that didn't lose the "startup culture" after we got bigish. It rules in almost every single way.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

I once shipped a NetApp filer via UPS.

:eyepop:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, friend.

I guess it's more about the whole "I dropped this off at UPS and hoped they'd package it correctly" aspect.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.

It's a scale thing for sure. If you have a half dozen "pets" for your entire operation then call them whatever you want, as long as all your computer janitors can keep them straight in their heads, it'll probably be fine. New additions to the team will take a little longer to learn what servers perform what function but with a list that short the difference is probably negligible.

IMO it's when you start thinking about your applications in tiers and scaling horizontally (or if you just have a lot of one-off boxes that perform a single role or run a single application each), the cute naming scheme turns into a nightmare.

If you have a completely greenfield environment and can do it right from the start, you should. It's less "fun" but if you establish a standard for naming, the people that work on those servers a year or ten down the line probably will not curse you for naming things like an idiot.

There is a balance to be struck though. One place I worked went through three different naming conventions for servers in the span of about 5 years (and we're talking a thousand+ boxes running hundreds of different LOB applications). They started out simple:

[datacenter][role][number]

As the business and IT processes matured, so did the names:

[datacenter][environment][application][role][number]

They zoned the network off too so naturally that had to get added to the name:

[datacenter][environment][zone][application][role][number]

Eventually the server names just became alphabet soup.

RDTNFAPPLAS01

Richardson Datacenter Test Non-customer-Facing [4 digit abbreviation for application's name] App Server 01

I think they eventually went to five or six characters for the abbreviated app name because they started having collisions :allears:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

:grovertoot:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

Oh yeah unlimited PTO is total bullshit

I guess this is probably correct for a lot of places, but anecdotally I've taken more time off (about an additional week) since we went to unlimited PTO this year, and I definitely spent all my PTO time the year before since we had a "use it or lose it" policy previously.

Like most stuff, it'll depend on where you work.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Lol just lol if you don't work inside a Dyson sphere of screens

mods?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
My (now) wife was shocked that I didn't own a printer when we met. I explained to her why I don't have one and told her that if she wanted a printer in the house, that she was welcome to get one but I wouldn't support it in any way.

We still don't have a printer.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

HP laserjets used to be indestructible. The laser jet IIIs and 5s from the mid 90s were built like tanks, and a lot of them are still running today.

The last job I had that involved any kind of printer-touching was over decade ago, and we had five or six LJ4s, each over 250,000 pages through them when I started. I'm absolutely convinced they're still running somewhere today (the company has long since gone out of business).

The only good(ish) printer. :allears:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm unfortunate, but I'm not stupid.

Time for a new thread title.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

it's a big, impressive fuckup.

Guess who built a system for our customers that uses Salesforce's OAuth2 because password management is annoying and this seemed easier since they already have portal creds?

Our SF admins are in the process of rebuilding all of the permissions for our customer portal profiles.

I'll be shocked if Monday rolls around and everything still works the way it did yesterday.

:yaybutt:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not too worried about it all things considered. Our folks are competent and I'm sure they'll get it restored, I'm just not looking forward to hearing about it until they do.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

xsf421 posted:

"logging didn't make it" into their newest prod build

Don't doxx me :mad:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

klosterdev posted:

Saw this posted on another forum I frequent, so can't verify if true but

Distributed systems are hard :allears:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

D. Ebdrup posted:

A ticket came in somewhere and has since been closed as solved:
https://i.imgur.com/GcFQIrm.mp4

Drain the node, let the containers reallocate elsewhere.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I I really can't get too angry at people for falling for some of these.

The gently caress you can't!

In TYOOL 2019 security is everyone's responsibility. The exact same as it was all years past.

What I'm getting at is that if there aren't consequences for failing, there's no incentive to improve.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

And if there are consequences for failing, there's no incentive to report.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences, just that zero tolerance policies are generally bad.

Then again, I come at this from a very lucky place, where my user base is highly security-conscious, and we hear about most phishing attempts almost immediately.

The consequences of failing and then failing to report should be more than the consequences of "hey I did a dumb and probably shouldn't have"

Ideally one is using a spearphishing service to identify folks ahead of a real breach but perfect world, blah blah

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

I work for a Nationwide Insurance company. I like it but I travel too much. I've been offered jobs by two of my vendor companies in the last week.

I'm totally not sure what to do

Are they doing work that interests you or affords you an opportunity to grow?

Do you like working with the people from these vendors? Enough to do it every day?

If yes, you should probably look into it further and figure out things like travel expectations, benefits and compensation, etc. If you're bringing a ton of domain knowledge, that's leverage to help you negotiate a better deal. Don't be shy, they're reaching out to you for a reason.

FWIW I did this about 5 years ago and I've never looked back. My former position was very comfortable, but I wasn't learning new things at the pace I wanted, didn't have a clear path forward to grow, and was ultimately pretty unhappy with how it turned out due to some changes in management. Now I work from home, travel to headquarters a few times a year when it's convenient for me, and do work that I find engaging and that pushes me to learn new things. I get to solve problems on an entirely different scale than before, am compensated beyond what I would consider generous, and I like both my coworkers and management.

It's not always easy to step out of a comfortable position and take a risk on something new, but I've found it to be one of the best choices I've made in my entire career.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

I hate it when I accidentally clip the shift key while doing this.

I love doing this at the end of a cycle of researching and implementing something to all the tabs that I won't need ever again until it breaks and I need them again, why did I close all of these tabs?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

Here, let me introduce you to this random LoB app that has been in use for the last 20 years. It is updated regularly but will never receive a major architectural change and two thirds of our business relies on it working.

It's also got a special USB dongle it uses for licensing.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't trust our container environment any farther than I could throw the chucklefuck who built it (poorly) and is no longer here.

The Fool posted:

There are lots of bad reasons,

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's a limit, though, and part of the problem is that gloves are not very convenient for using the computer. If your hands are cold typing all day loving sucks.

Type faster to make your hands warmer, duh

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Hi.

To all the goons who spent the last 7 years telling me to move: you win.

I hear Seattle is nice.

:bisonyes:

Sickening posted:

Look into areas around austin.

If you do this, drop me a PM with a resume.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
This sounds like fun and since my team has a no-meeting-Monday rule, I'm definitely going to tune in.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

I am ashamed to say that I've somehow never read this story before :v:

I read it every time it's posted. Dude was living the dream. :allears:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not normally one to advocate burning bridges, but I'd have a really hard time not submitting (or at least CCing) the resignation letter to the state department of education. Yeah, it probably won't change anything, but it'll irritate the poo poo out of your boss.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

A job came in :yotj:

With the current events about the forums, this is about the best ending I could ask for to this saga. Congratulations! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I need to start counting next time I see someone try to copy/paste something into a PuTTY window, but accidentally click and drag when they click into the window, overwriting their clipboard.

I feel extremely attacked by this post