Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m not caught up on the thread yet, but I have to vent.

I work at a company of ~3000 employees subsidized under a bigger corporation. All of our network closets look worse than rats’ nests. I thought it would get better when we got bought by this other company, but they just mashed our shitpile of a network into theirs and did nothing else. Connectivity is poo poo in general. We have one server running several resource-intensive applications that should each have their own servers better than this one. Everyone can edit registries, most control panel stuff, etc. Typing the name of the company in as a username with no password gives you local admin. They turned on autologon with a generic local admin account for every computer and saved the password in the registry (that everyone can see) in plain text. The same password is used by the sysadmins etc. and allows you to change anything, anywhere. Anyone could take down our EMR completely if they felt like it. Anyone can change group policy. It takes forever to get any IT help, so people at my building have me fix things when they go wrong. IT encourages this so they don’t have to do as much. I am a nurse.

A doctor unplugged a pc that was booting up and something critical ate poo poo this morning. He just moved to another computer before anyone else got there. Last scheduled doctor to come in didn’t have a computer to use. They haven’t brought over another one in the past 5 hours even though they have dozens imaged and ready. A doctor is sitting idle collecting money. 5 out of 10 laptops are nonfunctional, so we don’t have enough of those for all of the nurses. We have been “about to get new ones” for about six years now. The ones that do work have been patched together into some sort of function by me. I don’t want to change anything on the computers. I’m a nurse. It isn’t my job and I don’t understand why IT encourages it when I’m the worst kind of user since I know just enough to be dangerous and gently caress everything up, but not enough to fix anything.

They praise me for doing things to help keep us running, then give us the wrong EMR setup despite my protests since I don’t know what I’m talking about, so we have been working around a system that doesn’t have the capabilities we need for the past year while another department has the one we need. I’m still making a ruckus about it and getting ignored.

I want to help IT, not be a gigantic hazard. Maybe they don’t have any budget. Sorry for rambling. This could be 10 times longer if I don’t stop myself here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have spoken to the executives many times. If something broke they’d never even know enough to know who did it. I only keep things patched together so our department can function. There are no metrics for them handling our problems. They laugh off and close tickets without even pretending to work on them, which they wouldn’t do if the stats meant anything. I am beginning to think IT are massively understaffed or something. That would go along with how the corporation runs everything else since the buyout.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Here's a friendly reminder to prevent some tickets coming in if you still have Windows 7 machines and O365, don't forget O365 is going TLS 1.2 only on October 31st.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-secure-protocols-in

Hope you have KB3140245 installed along with a GPO to push the registry key out!

Thanks for the warning that all my poo poo’s going to break

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hollow Talk posted:

Yay, I get to post in this thread now. :saddowns:

A series of tickets came in:

I actually get to reply here, in a markedly more polite form that basically still said: "Hi customer, they are probably missing because your test files are broken and because I can't just 'disable' the core integrity checks of this whole ETL-process."

:what:

Well, are you going to do it or what

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

does poo poo on the motherboard ruin a computer?

like just a big rear end turd

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

poo poo I went to the dentist today

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

One of the doctors kicked over a computer and the hard drive is no longer recognized no matter what we do. The ticket is being passed around with no one taking it or coming to help even though I’m sure the manager did the “TOP PRIORITY THIS IS AFFECTING PATIENT CARE HURRY NOW” shtick. Can one of you guys please just bring me a newly imaged box or hdd; I have a burrito for you if you do and I’ll let you watch Netflix in our network room until lunch and pretend you’re working on the problem since the ticket in no way indicates the actual problem. I can even install the EMR and dictation software and printers for you if you just bring me a pc and just leave it sitting here

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I promise it was the first thing I tried.

I did have to ride the vendor. It took them 2 techs and literally my entire day to get somebody there to fix it. I didn't have anything else to do with that time; nbd vendor bro.

One day my dream of phones not being our problem will be realized.

What much larger and more complex problem will they be replaced with?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I called helpdesk and said “windows won’t load on workstation Xxxxxxx. It doesn’t detect a hard drive. The hard drive does not show up in BIOS. I ran the diagnostics tool you guys always run anyway. I opened the box and dusted everything and unplugged / replugged the power and sata cables. Still not recognized. One of our doctors needs this computer today or he will have to find a place to use a crappy laptop way out of the way and work at half speed and not be able to dictate notes. Please, hurry and bring another box or freshly imaged drive. It’s flu season.”

A guy showed up two days later and piddles around with the pc for like 45 minutes (???) to determine the problem and then said “Huh. Guess I have to go get a new one!” And he didn’t come back with the new one until the next day. It cost us dearly.

Two days after that, I got the email about the ticket being opened at the same time I got the one about it being closed. The helpdesk’s message said “computer won’t start in doctor area” and nothing else.

HDDs making GBS threads themselves is becoming a monthly occurrence around here. I hear it’s even worse in other facilities where they have already switched to super-cheap SSDs instead of having 10-year old shitboxes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What the hell are they doing that's killing HDD's and SSD's regularly?

And why do you not keep spares onsite if this is a regular occurrence?

Running our lovely EMR program and Dragon dictation software is basically all these computers do. Check email here and there. We don’t get spares on-site for the same reason we have extremely outdated computers in the first place: corporate bullshit. The VP of operations comes by about once a year to ask how things are going and I usually lay into him. He forgets not to ask me and I see the regret creep into his face every time, then he transitions to fake concern after a couple of minutes, takes down a few notes of what I said, then goes back to his office to throw the notes away and take a nap

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

All of our workstations say “Windows is not genuine” and Office was upgraded over the weekend leaving 95% of my coworkers unable to navigate their email due to a slight change in gui , and the EMR now will not run unless you push Run as admin and nobody understands how to do that either

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I came in to open the clinic this morning, a UPS was giving off a shrill alarm and flashing a red light, but still supplying power. It’s the power supply for our two main network switches. I informed the managers of this about 1 hour ago and said we can’t screw around with it right now or we won’t have a network. 10 minutes later, the group of managers walked into the utility room that serves as a network closet. 10 seconds later, every doctor says “Augh! I’m kicked out!”. I ran into the closet and said “Did you unplug it??”. One manager in the group sheepishly said “Well, I didn’t”.

Another manager said “Well, I turned it back on! It will come right back up in a minute!”. Of course, this network does not function unless you power everything on in exactly the right order, sacrifice a heifer, and use arcane rituals to help a manatee achieve orgasm on the first Tuesday of an odd-numbered month.

Who needs to see patients anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the "managers" you describe are site operations managers and/or physicians, both of whom know poo poo about poo poo.

Your guess isn’t that wild