Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I've been keeping an eye on that, and that kind of lockin always seemed super skeezy to me. Sure, we'll sell you the item, but we own all the embedded software it needs to run. Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

It was funny watching every major manufacturer flip out and lobby against the Right to Repair bill every time it comes up.

It's pretty much already like that if you want to do anything involving the onboard electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wolrah posted:

Kinda makes me wonder why the cryptolocker types haven't seized on this, because it's probably a safe assumption that any ancient machines still in use today contain years and years worth of data and/or software that isn't properly backed up.

Because then they'd have to write their own crypto library instead of using the one built in to modern Windows (I assume).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Hackers in on Netflix so you should watch that on repeat instead, with the sound turned up loud during the bits where Leftfield and Underworld are on.

The correct answer.

tactlessbastard posted:

Didn't it turn out the guy whose stories they based the entire show on was completely full of poo poo?

That would suppose anyone believed him in the first place.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

I haven't stayed in the office past 5:30 in 2 years, I've earned this poo poo.

:same:
Our office turns to a ghost town at 5pm as most people leave for the day. Only the west coast support team stays and that's only for another two hours. People will actually ask if something's broke if you're staying later than normal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

While gearing up for an unrelated project, we discovered that we don't actually own a large number of business-critical phone numbers. We disconnected them after a move about 2 years ago, and apparently the whole thing just fell through the cracks. They continue to work because the provider didn't disconnect them properly, but we don't pay for them and they may stop working at any moment.

This is not a priority, of course.

Sounds like you found a way to make some money on the side.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

The weird thing about it is that customer confidence would actually be boosted by the vendor saying, "You're totally right, this is not working and we're going to make it right within two business days. Oh look, we did it in 2 hours! Have a great day!" It's not like they openly report their incident metrics.

For this year we decided to stop doing quarterly releases so we could push out bug fixes to customers more quickly. Here at the start of the second quarter, guess how many releases we've actually pushed out.

At least I'm not the one who makes the final release so when customers ask why bugs aren't fixed yet, I can just give them his contact info.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

No, put a red asterisk next to all optional fields

Red asterisk pff, turn it into a red bordered box that doesn't look like any other input.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

We use the due date field for dependencies in project tickets, ie. the contract goes live on this date so this ticket needs to be completed before then. They don't get much use for support tickets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The gas station down the road has aluminum bottles of domestic beer, 2 for $2 sitting in a big cooler full of ice. Right by the checkout.

I wonder if I could drink those at my desk.

Sometimes when I'm walking around the office drinking an Arizona tea I get double takes because people think I'm drinking a tallboy at work. Then they lament it's against company policy to drink in the office. What I'm saying is you'll be fine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

nullfunction posted:

Our policy is that if you're drinking at the office you can't work on production systems and if you get too drunk the company will pay for a taxi/rideshare to get you home safely.

Pretty much every time I'm in the office, I end up getting lunchbeers with a bunch of the engineers and we turn the majority of Friday afternoon into happy hour, it's great.

Before we were bought out, it was like that. But since our parent company owns a ton of warehouses and employs warehouse people, drivers, etc, they just have a blanket ban on alcohol on company property. Luckily there's a bar across the street that is not company property.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

The "project managers" at my previous job did this all the time and it infuriated me more and more in each instance.

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to only ever ask them yes/no questions.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

pr0digal posted:

And attempt to print to the coffee machine because it would be on the network. Then put in a bunch of urgent tickets about it.

They're marked urgent because it used to work before.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Weedle posted:

Lmbo @ this nerd who’s never got his rear end ate

Maybe they're not a millennial, I hear they're the only ones who eat rear end.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

We just have two host names, one functional which changes via load balance or master/slave and one that is the specific machine.
Like "database" points to the master db and "daring" and "diligent" are db01 and db02.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

The temptation to setup a conference room named KAMINO that can't be booked and has no location is a big one.

And set up one called Dantooine but it's actually a long abandoned storeroom.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Interoffice mail a 6 inch handset cord, close ticket.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

A ticket came in today for the network going down. Might be a few days until it's restored I suppose.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

"Yeah, sorry, nothing was salvageable, the vomit got everywhere"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

They don't want a seam/border. That's it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Antioch posted:

Why the gently caress do people insist on naming things so looooooooooooong? You don't need 16 folders deep with descriptive names and 4 digit prefixes for sorting and 200+ character file names! You don't! No one does! It's madness!! ARRGH!!

Even better when there's more folders than files so it's just making things harder to get to without improving anything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It's the eternal struggle of capex vs opex.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

nexxai posted:

Senior Cloud Analyst with the second largest airline here

Now I know what you mean, but it sure sounds like a fun title to a layman.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I assume the one with all the silence at the end is the one that discovered the bug and re-recorded their prompt to include it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

lovely ISPs sure become a lot more responsive to tickets when you let them know the inmates are threatening to riot and the sheriff would hold them responsible.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

GreenNight posted:

It's why we have a rule that emails older than 7 days in the deleted items folder automatically gets removed.

I wish ours did, especially with all the meeting invites that autodelete. The spam folder clears out anything over 30 days, but the deleted ones stay forever.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yep, it's a tax/profit/etc accounting trick.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The seam on the connector is the bottom of the port, it's not that hard.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Agrikk posted:

All you need to know is that RAID is not backup.

The 0 in RAID0 stands for how much data you'll have left after a failure.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have a bad habit of pronouncing words as I read them, and being terrible with peoples names. But I also don't care what people call me. Names are just a nice easy way to indicate who you are speaking about or to, making them more important than that is just kind of silly. As long as someone isn't trying to insult you with how you say it, it doesn't hurt anyone to just roll with it.

So when someone corrects you, you ignore them?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Moatman posted:

Somehow people constantly manage to put a “Mc” in front of my last name, even when reading it off of a paper. My last name starts with a K, so it isn’t like they’re misreading the start.
It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just baffling.

I once I had a teacher who replaced the D in my name with a Q which I thought was just a typo until I met someone who had that name.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

- one resume written on unlined paper in several colors of colored pencil

I feel like I'd hire them out of pity.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Eikre posted:

No, the password protection on a ZIP file is just the mutual password of each of the files it contains, which are actually encrypted in AES-CBC. But you can open that container to list the files it contains and replace them without knowing that password. And I suppose if you actually have several smaller documents and you can start making guesses at what the data looks like based on file extensions, it may actually be cryptographically feasible to break that encryption outright. Not something I would spend time on, but maybe someone already published some rainbow tables.

Yeah, locking an office document isn't encrypting it, it's just a weak read only flag.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It's like I'm hosting nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like an #REF!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

From the depths of imgur
https://imgur.com/gallery/r914hhq

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

This is so close to what happened at my client's that it's depressing. If it's also anything like my client when you go and tell them you have a script to do it it'll turn out that they promised the board that it'll be done manually for "reasons" and now you're hosed.

Why would you ever tell anyone who doesn't understand scripting that you scripted something?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Internet pipe has a leak

https://i.imgur.com/l5X3J3Z.mp4

duz
Jul 11, 2005

We had an outage today due to the network connection to our dns servers going down, I thought of the thread koan.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

u brexit ukip it posted:

Could always try the tested method of cutting the cables and see what van shows up.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's CenturyLink, so it will never get fixed.

We're one of CenturyLink's vendors and the other month they had a location where they accidentally disconnected their internet connection and had to file a ticket with themselves to send someone out to reconnect it.