Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've posted before about our :shobon: IT department, here's the latest. The Intel CPU bug hit the major news on the 3rd-ish.

On the 8th, we got this email:

quote:

Some users are experiencing issues with an update – the issue is a kernel mode and prevents the computer from booting up.

At this time we are requesting users not to logoff or restart their computers. Press control / alt/ del keys to lock your computer.

If you are presented a screen to run updates or reboot please disregard at this time.

We investigating the issue to determine what update has created this problem.

Specifically, after the update, it would boot to windows but upon login, would create a blue screen with "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" error and reboot. Hmm, I wonder what's causing this! Almost guaranteed to be unupdated antivirus that depended on this bug to function being broken by the patch.

I hadn't seen the email so I updated, got this problem, and rolled back the patch from safe mode. An hour wasted, oh well. If I'd filed a ticket, probably would have lost my computer for a day and gotten it back with a fresh image.

Today, we receive this update:

quote:

Confirmed - update from Microsoft that is creating this issue - Meltdown/ Spectre patch.

Additional info:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-stops-fixing-security-flaw-233813777.html

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and-science/technology/microsoft-withdraws-meltdown-spectre-patch-after-bricking-amd-pcs/article/511747

Continue to refrain from running any updates.

It's funny because neither of those news articles are actually relevant to us, , given that we're not using 10 year old AMD chips.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arquinsiel posted:

One of my co-workers never used CTRL+L, even after people reminded her of it.

She was on the Data Loss Prevention team :negative:

That's because she's using Win+L

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

my cat is norris posted:

Our company-wide GPO requires machines to talk to a WSUS server for updates and not Microsoft. We can't get the Spectre/Meltdown patch without blocking that GPO so that Windows Update can talk to Microsoft directly instead of going through the WSUS server. This isn't my problem, I just find it very annoying that I'm being asked to help patch the Spectre/Meltdown stuff and it's requiring extra steps that should be really really unnecessary.

Edit: Angry Infrastructure Guy is responsible for the WSUS server, and it needs to be fixed or replaced pretty badly.

Our IT department sends out company wide emails telling people not to install patches, would you prefer this option?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Should/do local administrator rights interfere with wsus policy/whatever in which patches get applied?

Edit: our IT guy in charge of this stuff needs a good dose of cloud-to-butt

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 15, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Virigoth posted:

Just say No to Oracle and apply to the insane requirements jobs. I bet it’s not really that insane.

Agreed.

My buddy with a master's and no experience got a job requiring a phd and 10 years of experience /shrug

You apply and they, what, don't give you a job? What have you lost?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Oyster posted:

asked specifically if matching the other company would be enough.

Your company values you enough not to want to lose you, but are clearly trying to offer you the minimum to get you to stay.

You should ask for more concrete things, whether it's salary, vacation, etc. that makes staying MORE attractive than moving on. The other company is already offering those things and so you are much more likely to get more from them than they're offering now, whether it's through negotiating your current offer or in the future.

Not to mention that unless your raises are set in stone, you could just be negotiating yourself out of future raises. "Sorry, we don't have the budget anymore, ever since we gave you that raise, haha, what a coincidence."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zil posted:

Or just hire a dildo drone.

Yes they are real and no don't search for that at work.

Oh, very real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnySBqioB0

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Automated reply on ticket generation: Thank you for your ticket, it is very important to us. An agent will process your ticket in the order it was received. <muzak>

Congratulations, you are now meeting your SLA.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

RFC2324 posted:

I remember a buddy who worked as a PC tech telling me his company had a policy of just reformatting and reinstalling any ME systems that came in that were around 6 months old, and telling anyone who had an install much older than that to buy a new computer because ME will physically damage the hardware after around 6 months. I never saw any reason to challenge the assertion, it made perfect sense to me

Wasn't this around the same era as those terrible capacitors out of Taiwan that wrecked a lot of motherboards/computers?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Aren't all hsa withdrawals including from gains tax-free as long as they're for qualifying medical purposes?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Human Cow posted:

This makes me want to rename everything in combinations of O, 0, I, and l. 0Il0lO0lOOIIO0 can be our file server, but don't get it mixed up with 0ll0lO0lOOII00, the DNS server.

Be sure to mix in | and ○

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've always felt that read like a piece of satire..

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

larchesdanrew posted:

Government webpages 2+ subdomains deep are no longer accessible on our network.

What? How does this even theoretically happen?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Completely unrelated to his situation, I have seen this happen with incredibly contrived routing policies that require some, not all, internet access to go through the hub (as in hub and spoke).

Okay, I guess this makes sense in that, yes, I guess you could route some sites one way and other sites another. I'm not sure why you would do this, but presumably in some cases maybe this makes sense. I can definitely see it for specific sites, but not sure why "two subdomains" or whatever would be important.

But devil's in the details, so alright.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to make new friends too :downs:

But I don't touch computers :smith:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are you a SE Michigoon?

I am, though I'm the automotive industry kind.

I mostly just love an excuse to get out and do stuff :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kurieg posted:

Cars have computers, do you touch the computers that happen to be inside cars?

I actively avoid it because we have people that do that so I don't have to :D But I do look at the test results and those come from computers!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Story checks out.

Today, the IT department sent out our company logo for our new standard email signatures. Not sure why they don't just enforce it themselves because I'm pretty sure they can.

Apparently someone took a PSD and just renamed it PNG and called it a day. Had to google the file header to figure out what kind of file it really was so I could open it. I learned some things about file headers today.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love stories like these. If I could work on solving problems like this for the rest of my life I'd die happy.

But invariably 99/100 it's someone's space heater.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Specifically this occurred after the user who initiated whole tirade, had publicly (like quite literally amidst the general public) thrown a screaming fit and openly accused me of being terrible at my job for not giving her exactly what she wanted

Well she WAS told by Applecare that she could walk into the store and get the part so.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My unscientific impression from observing the majority's opinions of their country versus the opinions of minorities in that country is that "less racism" usually translates to "less minorities around to call out the racism."

Example: all of the Chinese people genuinely baffled that anyone had a problem with a commercial where a Chinese woman shoves her black boyfriend in the washing machine with a brand of laundry detergent and he comes out Chinese.

First and foremost, racism definitely exists and is definitely a problem (in China and elsewhere).

But, remember that context matters and racism is a societal problem. The baggage that racism has in the US/west is not the same baggage that racism has in Asia. I don't mean to say that it's all okay!

But consider that blackface is a problem because it was historically used to exclude AAs from film industry and portray very negative stereotypes and tropes. However, if none of that history exists in another country (especially one that has been so isolated from the west and the history of that kind of racism), does blackface still carry the same weight/stigma/baggage as it does in the US? Maybe, but also maybe not.

(but I'll be the first one to tell you about how all my Chinese relatives think black people are super scary bad people (which is racist and not okay) so please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Methanar posted:

How long does it take a native english speaker to learn Finnish?

It, and Hungarian as the other major language, are on a completely different part of the language tree from Indo-European languages, so probably more difficult than you might first think. Perkele.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arquinsiel posted:

I question the accuracy of this tree.

I'm not a linguist but it seems okay at first glance - what's your problem with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Entropist posted:

I'm a linguist and it's pretty accurate, although you can quibble about how some things are grouped and split - like why is Gaelic a single branch while Cornish also is, when Cornish is a badly revived dead language and Gaelic covers some pretty important languages like, I dunno, Irish. But the general picture seems fine.
Also, this kind of stuff is always up for discussion - in some of these cases even linguists haven't really figured it out. Language variation has a lot of continuous aspects that isn't easily divided into categories to make language varieties.

Ah yeah, I always assume details like that are better left for actual reference books than pretty infographics, especially now that I know what the source is.

Gunjin posted:

That image is also from a webcomic where the author is using it to help explain the differences between the 5 different languages spoken and difficulties communicating between the main characters, so it's more intended as a broad overview kinda thing.

https://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=196

Thanks - I've seen (and used) this picture a lot and never knew where it was from.