Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Weatherman posted:

Slaughtering your boss and hiding the body would be justifiable homicide. No jury of your peers would vote to convict you. And you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

A jury of IT peers would try and award damages to the defendant for pain and suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

lambeth posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

I didn't think it was possible to beat the time one of the centers paid $175 for us to send out a tech because they couldn't figure out how to unplug a power cable,* but yet, here we are.

* Our users seem to have difficulty understanding that to reboot the credit card machines, they need to unplug the small black power cable. Or the other end of the cable that plugs into the wall. This is the only black cable connected to the machine, and there are only two cables connected to the machines. "I can't find it."

"It's not powering on. I checked the cable." As I get to inform another user that cables have two ends.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sheep posted:

The DR plan at my last place was "buy a bunch of poo poo from CDW and wait until it gets here assuming we have a facility at all" written in a Google Doc so pretty solid in the grand scheme I guess considering no one ever asked to actually see the DR plan itself, just if we had a DR plan at all.

I've referred to our DR plan as "Mostly prayer based." since we're probably FUBAR if things went really bad. They're working on one to have sites in other states support stuff, but that's gonna be a megaclusterfuck and I'm glad I don't have to manage it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Please do this. Having a little readout right on your damned board when things get stupid is so valuable. Especially at home where you may not have a pile of compatible parts to do testing with.

3rding this. I actually used it on my last board and it probably saved me hours of pulling my hair out by pointing me in the right direction in the time it took to open the mobo manual. I won't build a home pc without one now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Weedle posted:

Excerpt from my boss’ response to my question about assigning the Page Manager role to a particular user:

There are currently ten users who have been assigned the Page Manager role.

Gotta love rights creep! Everyone Needs Everything!

:goleft: Dept Manager: UserA needs to do Task to Widget!

:yarr: PirateCJ: Okay, if you approve it I can give that right. Only UserB and C has it.

:goleft: Everyone needs to have it for redundancy now!

:yarr: It gets used like once a month maybe, do we really need 20 people to have it?

:goleft: Yes, what if we have to do it suddenly!

~two months later, an audit~

:coal: <IT Boss> Why the gently caress do 22 people have this right? Remove them all except for UserB and UserC, all requests for this now have to go through SiteManager.

~Repeat about once a quarter for a different folder access, specific program rights, or user accounts.~

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Weatherman posted:

Who bought maps.google.com a forums account??

You've seen those recent Google Assistant demos right? It bought it's own account. :tinfoil: Now instead of searching forums for answers to queries, it'll just make an account and post directly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

every once in a while i remember that networking over power line exists

I hadn't considered how an extension cord run across your yard could be an IT security threat before.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

*New to us! The spares were made in 2012!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

guppy posted:

What is your rack layout like? That strikes me as a very long time for that number of ports. Rack layouts vary and sometimes it's not possible but -- not to sound smug -- ours allows a switch replacement process for failed units that makes replacement of each 48-port switch only a few minutes per switch. If you're using chassis or your rack layout interlaces switches and patch panels that'll be hard to do.

Did all of the switches in all of these stacks refuse to power on? It's very unusual for that to happen all at once unless there was a big time power event. Do you have UPSes on these stacks? (If so, how old are these UPSes? I would expect to have to replace the units or at least the batteries after 5 to 7 years, but you said the uptime on these switches is past that.) You might want to schedule an ~annual switch reboot (reload at hh:mm dd month on Cisco IOS, as in reload at 23:00 30 june).

Getting more backup stock shouldn't take too long if the money is there, maybe a month or so from a reseller, but at 8 1/2 years of age I'd wonder if I should be looking at replacing with a newer model instead. Whatever you're using is probably approaching EOL if it's not there already.

They're the only things in the IDF closets, they're 1U switches with a 1U gap between them with the panels in the racks to each side, so we interwove them to move ports easy. The actual racking and moving for everything with cleanup probably only took a couple hours max. But there was a lot of fuckery between closets since the idiots configuring them couldn't figure it out and there was a lot of powering off and on. Corporate controls the switches, not the local team. We don't know what the gently caress they were doing. Of the 15 switches, ( 5 per stack) 4 had no power ever come back, and 10 just sat there with one solitary green light and never did anything else. The last 1 seems to have survived. The whole building is on a UPS, that's well maintained at least. So no power events AFAIK. They were generally working until we reset them, and they just never came back. The network people were pretty sure they'd fail on reboot. They didn't tell us why they thought that, if it was just the age or if they'd seen this before.

Annual reboots will be part of the process with the replacements according to bossman. I've seen the quote for replacing our entire network infrastructure, everything shy of the cables. It's ALL EOL'ed. We have one advocate higher up that has been saying we really need to drop the coin to replace it, while everyone else that can approve that has that attitude of "Well, it's all still working isn't it? :downs:" So there'll be some conversations this week thanks to this event. :v: The last two years have involved a company merger and change of leadership, so there is a lot of poo poo that got put to one side. It's all above my pay grade, I just deal with the fallout.

EoRaptor posted:

I guessing cap failure. Don't let your boss know, or you'll be tasked with soldering in new caps for all of them.

Thankfully my boss isn't into loving around with repairs like that for something so critical.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

gently caress me, this 1 simple thing is gonna drive me to drink. It shouldn't be this drat hard to get a loving front end for an access database installed.

I thankfully don't have to deal with it, but we have one database that's old enough to drink. It's been migrated though a few versions of Access. :v:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

poo poo. Does this motherboard I want to buy have that issue?

Whew. Okay. Every single "enthusiast" and higher board now mentions it has solid caps because of that. Even my LGA 1151 board still mentions it, though the blurb is a lot smaller now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

This was 10-20 years ago dude.

:thejoke:

Those giant graphics showed up on every motherboard box I saw in the mid 2000s. That one was on a board I bought in 2006~. Emphasizing the country of origin and chemistry of their capacitors, which was a pretty odd thing to devote the limited graphics space on the back of your product for. They STILL talk about having solid caps because of that. And I've still dealt with the fallout of that plague more recently since all the monitors at my work from that era starting dying off rapidly around 2012, while many of the older ones are still chugging along.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

guppy posted:

The thought process is always that since developers are good at one computer thing (coding), they must be good at other computer things. Not only does this not logically follow, but it presupposes that the developers are, in fact, good at coding. I have known some tremendously lovely coders.

I came very close to yelling at our programmer who refused to believe his lovely way of tabbing through the fields in this app that he doesn't use was not the superior option. I was just asking for it to work like every windows application ever made, nothing weird. He's the type that if HE doesn't know how to do it, it's impossible. He's also told me that another app we have not supporting keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste (ancient application on life support we have no replacement for) was fine since apparently the ctrl+key keyboard shortcuts are "just a Windows thing" Well motherfucker we're a Windows shop. Xerox PARC made copy/paste and the Key+XCV keys have been pretty goddamn standard overall since the Apple Lisa. Just stop being lazy!

Another common conversation: "I don't know WHY ANYONE would want it to work that way. " *lists three valid reasons we use it that way* "Well you can just do it this bass ackwards way I already wrote!" "No!"

E:
I've also thoroughly been dispelled of the notion that "Smart in one area means smart overall" the amount of PhDs that can't regularly type their own name correctly is astounding. They've been using computers as a main tool of their trade longer than I've been alive, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for "they're new to them"

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 21, 2018

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

OneTruePecos posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but "using computers" decades ago and "using computers" today are pretty different things. The only thing they have in common is that computers suck.

I'll grant maybe that the transition from whatever they used to Windows may have been a tough shift, but this company had Windows 98 and we're on Windows 7 currently, so two decades of a fairly similar computer interface. The only real UI change for them has been the shift from Netware to AD.

I have to imagine typewriter repairmen had their own brand of bullshit to deal with.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also let's not forget that everything you're saying about developers is also true of sysadmins, perhaps just not the ones you work with.

Oh yeah. It can be everywhere at every level. One of the sysadmins at another site sent us 30 VOIP phones. Just dumped them all in an old paper towel cardboard box without any sort of padding or anything and slapped a shipping label on it. It's a miracle the box made it at all, all split down the sides and 50% Fedex tape.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Corporate IT wrote a new tool to tie and reset all our various systems passwords to a SinglePass™

Cool: This one actually works unlike the last two versions of it.

Not cool: They're forcing a password reset on the entire company.

Hope the corporate account support team has coffee ready when they have to deal with 20,000 morons who lock themselves out because they didn't write it down or read the nigh daily emails about it. :toot:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Just got an email from marketing saying that they're buying our sales team a bunch of Surfaces and that we need to set them up when they come in.

Yeah that's not how poo poo works, god drat it.

"What do you mean you can't install office suite on our new chromebooks? These were only $200 instead of those expensive Lenovos! THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION."

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

MF_James posted:

You should! Part of the fun is not knowing 100% what's going to happen and pushing buttons.

One of our "T1" guys that I really lean on to help out is someone that's not afraid to push a button (within reason) and then deal with the aftermath.

A key part of troubleshooting at some point.
*push button* *thing starts working*
:v: "How did you know that would fix it?"
:yarr: "I didn't, but it's not like it's gonna get any more broken."

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Kaethela posted:

It's actually insanely easy to spoof caller ID, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it for my customers. On more than one occasion I've had calls come into my mobile from my own number. I should've answered it, that had some potential.

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s probably last-pass. They have a history.

May 2011 and June 2015 was when they had "something" happen on their network, the only other things we know of were a few vulnerabilities that were found by researchers.

An internal program at work is so ancient that if it gets anything that isn't ASCII in a field it has a stroke. Which is fun when dealing with things like shipping addresses to Puerto Rico.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Must have swapped hundreds out, especially as I got into the practise of walking up to anybody with a CRT who wasn’t treating me like poo poo and diagnosing it as having geometry or focus problems and replacing it with an LCD.

I did this in like 2010. I diagnosed people with "having a CRT" in my crusade to suffer once and purge the building of those things so I'd only have to move them one more time to the recycler pallet.

At least with the CRT->LCD I don't think I had anyone here bitching about wanting their old monitor back. Now they want different keyboards and I get to tell them no since the only other ones we have are ps/2 and the newest PCs are legacy free.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Intranet site now available from the internet to check HR poo poo or whatever. Often demanded for some reason. They now have to log in to see anything from inside the network as well. :v: This’ll be fun to watch unfold tomorrow, should go over like a turd in a punch bowl. Because “THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!” :byodood: to spend 5 seconds logging in.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Merijn posted:

Just overheard a manager answer a new sysadmin: "why yes, we are using the free version of TeamViewer here." He wasn't even that surprised.

They keep an eye out for that at some level. I got a nastygram from them accusing me of using the free version commercially.

Teamviewer Email posted:

Based on an analysis of your TeamViewer account usage, we have detected possible use in a commercial context. As our EULA states, a paid license is required for commercial use. Please visit our license overview for more information on obtaining an appropriate license, or call us at (888) 269-6705

Did you forget to activate your existing license? No problem. Here’s how to activate your license today.

I'm not for what it's worth (family tech support) but I suppose when you're connecting to three different PCs at once multiple times over a weekend it looks odd.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You'll be replacing it with the latest MacBook, obviously, right? :downs:

Fresh out of MacBooks, but we do have this old P-P-P-PowerBook you can borrow.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

gently caress faxing

that is all

:hmmyes:

My place is moving to electronic faxing within the next week or so. They'll all finally go to email inboxes in TYOOL 2019, we receive well over a thousand or two pages a day still between them all. They can even send them right from their email thanks to a special inbox they're making. I'm hoping I can office space those fuckers in a few months, since the outbound lines are still hooked up for the foreseeable future, just the inbound is getting hijacked for the new system.

I'm sure the new system will be jank and broken, but most importantly that side is Not My Problem. Less "Clean Corona Wire" hell and just throwing them out every 18 months or so and dropping a new one on a desk because you can't fix a fax.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Trust, but verify.

I've never understand that saying at all outside the context of nuclear disarmament. Believe they are having an issue? If they got the problem right it's usually a coincidence. If I trusted that they checked that the monitor was turned on, I wouldn't check. If I trusted that they checked the cables, I wouldn't check. If I trusted they actually rebooted the PC when I asked I wouldn't check to see an uptime of 20 days. It's not like I call them out on this, but I never trust what they say outside of "Thing doesn't work for me."

Turns out that "It's powered on and all the cables are plugged in!" usually means that it's turned off and once again I prove the theory that cables have two ends.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Trust that there's an issue, but verify that the troubleshooting steps have been done (by doing them yourself (because Users Lie)).

neogeo0823 posted:

As for "trust, but verify", I take it as "make the user believe you trust their answers, but verify they are accurate anyway." Kinda like "Yeah, it absolutely looks like the cable's been re-seated, but I'm gonna do it again anyway, because I have boxes that need to be checked... Oh look, that fixed it that time. Neat."

Arquinsiel posted:

Rule 2 means you don't troubleshoot the problem the users tells you exists, you make them show you the problem. That way you determine if it's a layer 8 issue, or something you actually need to fix. It also has security/reliability implications, whereby the less the user is trusted to do, the less they can gently caress up and lie about.

Thank you all. That's basically what I've been doing. When you've had a boss that parrots the phrase for a decade but can never explain how the hell it should be interpreted in the context of your job it starts to wear on you a bit.

For a different topic, it was announced a while back that we're moving to Ivanti for our ticket system sometime next year. Anyone have any experience with it? Our current setup is what I'd loosely define as "Hot rear end" that my company doesn't control at all, so I don't think it can get really worse really. Just a different flavor of terrible.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Methanar posted:

What kind of users are you guys supporting whose jobs obviously depend on computers but don't know how to use them.

Most of them?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Regular users have memorized the necessary actions to do their jobs, most don't know how to use a computer. When something unexpected happens, this thing that is familiar with them suddenly isn't, and it jams their brains into helplessness.

Sums it up pretty well. Our main software is an in house app that is old enough to buy smokes with big chunks of its core dating back to the mid 90s. People using it since the first version still don't have a clue how the box it runs on works, and there are a few people who've been with this company for over 35 years, it was computerized then, still know just barely enough to do their job. They've no interest in anything past what is needed. It's annoying to deal with but it's not like they can't do their job (most of the time) because of it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

gently caress printers, and Lexmark in particular this time.

I've spent approaching three weeks yelling at Lexmark because their brand new portal for ordering warranty parts is hosed sideways, I can't order any goddamn fusers, and they kept telling me to read PDFs I can't access. That when forwarded don't provide any useful help. (In the Technician Name field, enter the name of the technician performing the work.) The old site worked fine and I didn't have to talk to you idiots for years what the gently caress.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

klosterdev posted:

did they send a second unencrypted email containing the password

But it has the super secure password of {companyname}123!

:sigh:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

The Fool posted:

Here, let me introduce you to this random LoB app that has been in use for the last 20 years. It is updated regularly but will never receive a major architectural change and two thirds of our business relies on it working.

I'd wonder if we work together if this wasn't such a common story. We have VM'ed software that you described well except for the "regular updates" since they fired the devs who made it 12 years prior and now have Tata fiddle with it now and then. And since half the business is on Win7 still and it won't run on Win10. Our other LoB is going to move to The :yayclod:. Which will be exciting to see what new and wondrous ways that will break.

I should put :10bux: on it not working at all on launch due to firewall issues.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

I can't wait for the screams.

How could you affect production like this!? :argh:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"I rebooted last week!"
"Then why does your computer report 372 days of uptime?"

*Turns monitor off then back on*
“See?”

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

less than three posted:

Ticket: my deskphone isn't working, my cell is X

I call and asked if it's plugged in, he says yes.

10 min walk to where he is and the cable is on the floor right next to the outlet.

I've never wanted to hit a user so bad.

This is when I come back to the office to relay to my coworkers that the solution was “cables have two ends”.

It’s more common than you think everyone. Most cables have a second end that goes somewhere. I’m hoping to have this finding published soon.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're working on stuff that's so sensitive that you need a privacy screen then you should probably be doing the work in a secure office. Privacy overlays make displays look like trash, there are none that are good.

Our work at home users got dual 22" monitors and they're required to use the provided privacy screens. They are also forbidden from doing any work with anyone inside the required "space with a door that can be closed during working hours".

:catstare:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm gone at all the people talking about lugging desktop PCs home

Yeeep. Talk of having to encrypt all the desktops now and get anyconnect on them. My point of discussion during all this has been to make them physically set it up on their own desk before they can take it home. I'm tired of trying to explain what a display port cable looks like to the technologically illiterate. So looking forward to all the support calls that VPN work at home VDI sessions are "slow" :suicide:

If I went and sneezed on one of the paranoid managers I could probably get him to quarantine for a month.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

We keep getting emails from the same set of very special users who can't seem to read the guide we put together explaining how OneDrive functions, nor can they seem to understand that OneDrive doesn't sync to or with our shared network drives.

That fun venn diagram overlap of illiterate and technologically illiterate. My company is trying to get like 1,200 people WFH this week. It's going about a smoothly as you'd expect. I want to personally slap every team lead in the company who is coordinating PCs leaving the building.

And yeah, before someone steps in and says "It should be done this way!" No poo poo! It's been a wide ranging variety of clusterfucks this week with no end in sight.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If Timmy has 5 apples and puts 3 in the cloud, how many apples does Timmy have?

"I have a galaxy 6."

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

So we found a WFH solution that lets certain people just install a client and remote in. They were given some super basic system requirements, like actual specs weren't even listed type basic.

One person who said they had a relatively new computer at home (to use for their own work) was revealed to be talking about their kid's school chromebook. :geno:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

kensei posted:

About 10% of the users for one office were having issues connecting to a server/application that is critical to what they do all day. I called the vendor and found out they have been getting a number of similar reports with no solution. I kept digging and discovered that the impacted users were on IPv6 from their ISP, I disabled that on the NIC, had them restart and it has been rick solid since. Couple days of troubleshoot but solution documented and I can move on with my life.

We have a number of work from home users who got hit when a poo poo tier ISP near here stopped giving out IPv4 addresses. Since the VPN we're forced to use doesn't support IPv6 (as they configured it), those users were basically told to eat poo poo and have to get a new ISP. As <Parent Company> refuses to turn on IPv6 for some unfuckibly knowable reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

This morning has been full of WFH users stealing each others VOIP extensions.

There was a list, alas everyone is illiterate.