Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's still almost science fiction to me the speeds data is transferred at these days. My history is 9600 > 14.4 > 28.8 > 56K (USRobotics Courier, which gave even bettter speed if your ISP also had them at their end, which all did) through dual ISDN, 2 Mbps SDSL, 40/20 Mbps VDSL and all crappy DSL variants in between, to my now 250/30 stable DOCSIS 3 cable connection. To download a Linux ISO in a few seconds feels crazy to me still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

In TYOOL 2018, Office 365 still requires passwords of 8 or more characters with capitals, numbers and symbols. Had to come up with something fast for my new account but my password "gently caress You Micro$haft" did not work because it could not have spaces!

WTF Microsoft?

e: Are password rules set by the organization, or is this a system-wide thing for O365?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Varkk posted:

I was thinking a bit about this the other day but in the context of children setting up new technology. A person at work was explaining how she got a new smart TV and had to get her 8 year old granddaughter to set it up for her. I think it is because children are still in the habit of listening/reading and following instructions. A lot of adults just don’t seem to have the patience or assume because they used old thing they still know how to use new thing. Similar for the warehouse example they probably don’t use the PC as often so carefully read the information on screen before skipping ahead to the next part. So when they enter the wrong password they know the password was not accepted. Whereas the finance user (why is it always finance?) will call IT and say the program gave them some funny error. No they don’t know what it said because they closed it already.

Not emptyquoting. I work at a phone repair shop and get a lot of questions about apps that fail to install and they can't figure out why. When the phone clearly states they need to delete some data to make room on their ancient 8 GB phone.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

A dial!? What's it like working in 1982?

Mine has two: Power (W) and time. High tech!

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

You have this entire forum cheering for your success and wanting the best for you. I'm so sorry that you have to face this nightmare scenario, but I do hope it's resolved quickly.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

Work commute chat: My last job had a commute of 45 minutes to the office (2 times a week). poo poo sucked. At my new job, I made it a priority to live as close as reasonably possible to work. Now I have a 6 minute commute door-to-door and that change is worth its weight in gold.

I mapped it out and it's about a 2.5 mile walk. I'm thinking that's doable a few times a week, and I'm sure that walk would be great for my mental health after sitting all day.

I have a brisk ten minute walk from the bus stop to work, five minutes from the bus stop to home. It does wonders even though it's not much.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

DOS 5.0 :corsair:

Anyone else remember Desqview?

Desqview was the poo poo for hosting a two line BBS *and* running local admin for it *and* have a DOS prompt ready at all times. Multitasking? In MY DOS?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Knormal posted:

How many people at home actually own/buy their modem versus just renting one from the ISP? I'm pretty sure for most people the transition is going to be their ISP tells them they need to come pick up this new modem by some date or their internet will die, they'll keep paying $5 a month, and have no idea they're running on IPv6 now.

I use the supplied modem and an extender (Telenor’s Snøhetta-designed ones) because I couldn’t shell out $$$ for my own and rental of the two is like $10 extra monthly.

They’ve been good, no worries. And luckily Telenor runs native IPv6, gives me a /64, and I can set my own addresses at will. Of course I have ::d34d:b33f and ::b00b for my main computers 🤓

The best things about IPv6 are
1) no NAT so I can access the ::b00b at mediaserver.domain
2) addresses represented in hex for ultimate calculator-like address fun

E2: gently caress I mean router. The fibre conversion box is also ISP-supplied because what’s the point of even thinking about replacing it? It works. Fibre in, Ethernet out, then to router.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The people who don't want to hire women would still not hire women once they see the applicant is a woman and/or trans :(