Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Welcome to 2018! Post pics of your dogs!

CHILI

Thaddius the Large posted:

Not sure if this is what you�re referring to, but I�ll keep pushing this recipe as long as I breathe

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
1 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
Salt and pepper, to taste

Some notes:
You can tailor the meat to your budget. I always get nice sirloins cut up at my butcher, but any old stew meat will work (round, etc). I prefer spicy pork chorizo (again, my butcher makes it) because the chicken stuff doesn't taste right to me.
You can tailor the recipe to your level. You can make your own chili powder for instance. Or make your own beef stock.
I usually make it with a brown ale, something Newcastle-y. Up to your tastes. I wouldn't use a stout personally, but a porter might be interesting.
This is a very mild recipe. I usually use 2 habaneros (seeded, diced) and 3-4 jalapenos (sliced). I like my chili hot.
Never add beans to chili, unless you're a goddamn pinko commie.

Directions:
Place oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Brown the sirloin in
batches. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Add chorizo and onions to the pot and brown. Make sure to break up the meat.
Return sirloin to the pot and stir in remaining ingredients, except for garnishes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 3-5 hours (longer is better). Stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes.
Before serving, discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves (and habanero if you didn't dice them, don't want someone biting into that!). Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.

Sent from my iPhone

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://imgur.com/a/mXWQI

Iggy likes a good fire.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

everything from last night is a blur

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Real bbq is pulled pork with a liberally applied vinegar based sauce, hush puppies and coleslaw

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I've got a beef roast in a red wine reduction sauce in the slow cooker. I'll be making a horseradish cream sauce later.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalli posted:

everything from last night is a blur

Waking up bleary, aching, and confused is about the most appropriate tone to set for every year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Real bbq is whatever bbq you most prefer because it makes you happy :)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Blitz7x posted:

Real bbq is pulled pork with a liberally applied vinegar based sauce, hush puppies and coleslaw

With a Pepsi in a styrofoam cup filled with crushed ice this is my last meal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What toothpaste is comparable to Mentadent?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Slay the Spire is a really good PC game that's like a mashup of Hearthstone, FTL, and Darkest Dungeon. Y'all should play it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

What toothpaste is comparable to Mentadent?

I don't know, I'm the fifth dentist.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't know, I'm the fifth dentist.

Well I need numbers one through four. I like how that toothpaste makes my mouth feel and Im down to my last refill. No other toothpaste Im trying gives me that feel and im getting anxious.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I don't understand people who don't like horseradish

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Dogs enjoying fire??

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blitz7x posted:

Dick hard af

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I got an infrared frier/smoker for Christmas. What should I cook first?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

186 posted:

I got an infrared frier/smoker for Christmas. What should I cook first?

Start simple, one whole chicken is all you need right now. Smoke that bird.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I drank too much and regurgitated all of it when I got home

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The guy who shot at those cops in colorado was a pepenazi.

Excited for the spin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife and I also watched the chapelles last night, goddamn how many of us did that

I though he was pretty good. I was ready to be outraged when he started talking about transgender people but he actually I think was just really honest, and his main point (that it's funny, sorry, but it is funny) was dead on.

I'm still sick. 100.3 today, wife insisted we call kaiser so now I have a phone appointment with a doctor so he can explain I have a virus and then I'm probably getting a prescription for prescription-strength nyquil or whatever the hell that would be. Also I have that raw throat thing where now I can talk like Barry White; the silver lining to being sick.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Spoeank posted:

The guy who shot at those cops in colorado was a pepenazi.

Excited for the spin.

False flag perpetuated by liberals who set up an elaborate backstory by being a Nazi shithead their entire life.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I also watched the chapelles last night, goddamn how many of us did that

I though he was pretty good. I was ready to be outraged when he started talking about transgender people but he actually I think was just really honest, and his main point (that it's funny, sorry, but it is funny) was dead on.

I'm still sick. 100.3 today, wife insisted we call kaiser so now I have a phone appointment with a doctor so he can explain I have a virus and then I'm probably getting a prescription for prescription-strength nyquil or whatever the hell that would be. Also I have that raw throat thing where now I can talk like Barry White; the silver lining to being sick.

My traditional NYE night out is going to a comedy club, but my date got the flu or something similar, so I stayed in and watched comedy out of habit lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched Creep 2 last night. If you guys like unconventional horror movies, I highly recommend Creep and Creep 2.

I kind of love them actually.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how much weight did we all gain over the holidays? The numbers are still coming in but I am confident that I gained at least 2 pounds over the last week.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how much weight did we all gain over the holidays? The numbers are still coming in but I am confident that I gained at least 2 pounds over the last week.

Right now I'm sitting at about 5 lbs

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Got the tenderloin in the oven with some potatoes baking underneath, and garden kale for the greens.

Now to warm up with mulled wine and root for UCF, ND, Clemson, and Okie Heavy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably 3 or 4 pounds. Back on the low carb diet tomorrow.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I managed to not gain any but only because I lost a few pounds from being sick in December. Back to square 1 baby :yeah:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

10 pounds at the high (12/28) but now down to around 5.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I supposedly have an upper respiratory tract infection and have been prescribed antibiotics. Over the phone, I guess based on a fever lasting three days. Is this one of those "antibiotics are massively over-prescribed" cases? Also I have three antibiotics allergies so I've got Azithromycin this time, but I'm concerned I'll develop allergies to more and have a dwindling number of effective antibiotics left available to me as I get older.

I guess I'm taking it anyway but it concerns me. I don't have any sinus pressure, and the gunk I'm coughing up isn't bright yellow or green like I'd associate with an infection.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

No one messes with Battank

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

2018 off to a good start.

https://twitter.com/peg_mclaugh/status/947941599681662976?s=17

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

So I supposedly have an upper respiratory tract infection and have been prescribed antibiotics. Over the phone, I guess based on a fever lasting three days. Is this one of those "antibiotics are massively over-prescribed" cases? Also I have three antibiotics allergies so I've got Azithromycin this time, but I'm concerned I'll develop allergies to more and have a dwindling number of effective antibiotics left available to me as I get older.

I guess I'm taking it anyway but it concerns me. I don't have any sinus pressure, and the gunk I'm coughing up isn't bright yellow or green like I'd associate with an infection.

While you may not have a bacterial infection, based on what you have described the antibiotics are meant to be preventive. Like right now you have a perfect storm for a sinus infection or pneumonia developing. The antibiotics will help prevent that, and may help you get better a bit quicker if a bacterial population has already started its thing.

Are you allergic to three antibiotics in the same class? Like are you allergic to penicillin and therefore most penicillin analogs? That is nothing to worry about, especially since an actual allergy (as opposed to sensitivity) is pretty rare and there are plenty of alternatives. Taking anti-biotics doesn't make you allergic to them (outside of some rare cases). Almost all antibiotic allergies are type 1 hypersensitivity, meaning no prior exposure is required for an allergic reaction to occur.

edit: Also, there is no correlation to sputum color and etiology (bacterial vs. viral vs. allergen induced).

swickles fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 1, 2018

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Hahaha, love this

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

BigPaddy posted:

No one messes with Battank

We got some kickass bullies itt!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

My beef roast was a huge success! My wife loved the horseradish cream sauce.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pubic works project posted:

My wife loved the horseradish cream sauce.

nice ;)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I made the beef Wellington in wheez' cookbook. It owns a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've got some jerk chicken marinating in the fridge, and I'll probably get the rice started after this game