Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

General Dog posted:

I don’t think artists have ever had a problem with them playing the music for free, because the exposure more than makes up for it (at least, it did when people actually bought music). I think what they have a problem with is how they decide what to play, and how often they play it.

They actually do have a huge problem with it. Just like every other artist in any other medium who gets paid “in exposure”. It’s exploitative bullshit and nobody is ok with it.

This is a decent summary:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8489932/frank-sinatra-letter-radio-broadcast-performance-right-michael-huppe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

very stable genius posted:

*dons fedora*

Ackshually...

Radio has never paid to license music. They don’t pay a single cent for recordings they broadcast and it’s always been that way. It’s totally hosed up and artists have been fighting it forever.

Qwijib0 posted:

Labels paid stations to play music, it's called payola, and it was made illegal.
Yeah, I got that completely wrong with regards to radio play. The royalty structure was changed for physical media and online purchases and streaming (which is different than radio because :confused: ) so because people aren't going into Sam Goody's to listen to a bunch of CDs and not buy them buy CDs like they used to now bands go on the road and make money from touring and merch.

And that's cool and good because live music is loving awesome.

General Dog posted:

I don’t think artists have ever had a problem with them playing the music for free, because the exposure more than makes up for it (at least, it did when people actually bought music). I think what they have a problem with is how they decide what to play, and how often they play it.
Yeah, the ClearChannel (or whatever it's called now) system of the same drat playlist is infuriating. Even SiriusXM has very limited playlists on the main music channels. At least late at night I can listen to Forensic Files on HLN.

Did you know how much evidence can be left at the scene of a crime? Did you know how small that evidence might be?

PS: Don't do a murder

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I got blind drunk and robbed a huddle house last night

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bands have needed to tour long before live streaming; most record contracts were constructed such that artists basically got nothing from CD/Vinyl sales no matter how many the sold unless the artist had already escaped their first contract and was still churning out hits.

Which sucks, because I hate live music

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

General Dog posted:

That's a big part of it. It is also true about music artists making the real money off of touring (and merch sales), though.

Record companies give artists advances that look like a lot of money but then charge them for the costs of making the album. During the days of physical media, artists made pennies per album sold and now they make even less everytime their songs are streamed even though the overhead is probably a lot less.

In summation: :capitalism:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to make money in music and actually be involved in making music, be a producer. Everyone else making the song aint making poo poo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Barudak posted:

If you want to make money in music and actually be involved in making music, be a producer. Everyone else making the song aint making poo poo.

During the days of physical media, distribution was the real way to make money. You could make deals with multiple record companies without having to spend any money on production or artist development. Just keep that supply chain moving and make sure that record companies and stores needed you as the middle man.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

not quite radio but the baffler has had a few articles about how spotify has worked its way into a corporate meat grinder

quote:

The week that “Psychopath” was released, it was quickly serviced to official Spotify playlists including Pop Rising, Indie Pop, Pop Right Now, Fresh & Chill, Swag!, Indie Stage, Front Left, Left of Center, Easy, Get Popped, Pop Relax, Chill af, as well as dozens of New Music Friday playlists around the world. The next week, Spotify began removing it, and by mid-May it was gone from pretty much all official playlists.

https://thebaffler.com/downstream/streambait-pop-pelly

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im making pizza today. i got the dough doing its thing now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Don’t even the biggest artists get an absurdly minuscule amount of money from their songs being on streaming services? Like a million streams earns like $100.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

I got blind drunk and robbed a huddle house last night

You left DNA everywhere dude, you're boned. You should not have yelled "It's good to be home for the Hollandaise" as you spurt your gurt on the waitress's eggs benedict tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7S6Cn1xVvU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

During the days of physical media, distribution was the real way to make money. You could make deals with multiple record companies without having to spend any money on production or artist development. Just keep that supply chain moving and make sure that record companies and stores needed you as the middle man.

Oh absolutely, just if you wanted to actually touch the songs thats the only place to make money

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Producers don’t get royalties though. Well, not automatically. Up until a few months ago it was up to the artist to decide if the producers got a cut of royalties. When the Music Modernization Act passed it provided a provision for producers to automatically be given a cut.

I work in the music business, specifically on the royalties side of things. It’s hosed up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I slept from 10 to 9. Happy New Years, I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Party was OK despite my not drinking. Someone brought a PlayStation and a vr helmet and we played this music game where you chop cubes that fly at you with light sabers. Watching drunk people fail at rhythm games is hilarious.

Friends are getting old, though. First couple said goodbye at about 12:45 and that triggered a stampede for the door as everyone bailed on the next fifteen minutes or so. Back in the day, this same crowd would be collapsing on the furniture at 5am and still there for hangover breakfast at noon.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don’t even the biggest artists get an absurdly minuscule amount of money from their songs being on streaming services? Like a million streams earns like $100.

Yes.

I have a cousin who has a song on Spotify with 4,000,000+ listens

He’s made $375 from it. Sirius XM also pays super low but you don’t mind as it’s brand exposure. I can only speak for DJ / Producers, but they make a majority of their income by shows

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Artists make $5-7 per 1000 plays on most streaming services. The rate for certain types of streaming are set by the government. Other rates are negotiated between the label or the artists themselves and the streaming service. Popular performers with millions of plays per month are making tens of thousands a month from streaming.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Overall party was fun. Small get togethers w/ card games and good drinks is my jam.

2019 goals: bulk the hell up and lift more & make real efforts to bulking our saving fund instead of adding whatever was not spent that month

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Woke up this morning and shoveled three driveways, 2019 is the year of getting swole

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Master Stur posted:

make real efforts to bulking our saving fund instead of adding whatever was not spent that month

So :same:

We suck at sticking to a budget and we are going to make a real effort to do so in 2019.

Does anyone have any budget planning/money tracking software they recommend?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Leperflesh posted:

Party was OK despite my not drinking. Someone brought a PlayStation and a vr helmet and we played this music game where you chop cubes that fly at you with light sabers. Watching drunk people fail at rhythm games is hilarious.

Friends are getting old, though. First couple said goodbye at about 12:45 and that triggered a stampede for the door as everyone bailed on the next fifteen minutes or so. Back in the day, this same crowd would be collapsing on the furniture at 5am and still there for hangover breakfast at noon.

This has been true of my sister's Halloween party for years now. Used to not really "let out" until 5-6 in the morning. Now that we're all old farts it's usually wrapped up around midnight.

Many years back a friend of mine passed out drunk in their living room around 1:00 and woke up no longer drunk but high as poo poo when the party moved in there and hitboxes the room for a few hours. It was apparently really disorienting.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My resolutions are to lose 50 lbs and save $10k dollars.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

My resolutions are to lose 50 lbs and save $10k dollars.

lose 10k lbs and save $50 instead

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I also played that block chopping vr game.

Analysis: VR games have a ways to go.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pizza was good, i spread the dough out a bit too thin in places so the crust was only like 1cm thick and new york style limp although still cooked through. too much cheese though, it was halfway between pizza hut and a good chain place. i don't think that oven has ever seen over 450 so it belched a bit of smoke although it didn't set off any of the smoke detectors (oldass house without a oven vent and probably never putting one in either).

i'd never made bread before so that was an interesting learning experience and probably a good way to get started because it only proofed once and you just throw everything in the mixer. the house was cold so i stuck the bowl in another bowl with some warm water in it and it worked great.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I fell asleep at 1030 last night but my girlfriend made lamb and risotto and then I won $10 on my annual scratch off ticket so been pretty good

Now time to go to the arcade and get drunk and play pinball

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Artists make $5-7 per 1000 plays on most streaming services. The rate for certain types of streaming are set by the government. Other rates are negotiated between the label or the artists themselves and the streaming service. Popular performers with millions of plays per month are making tens of thousands a month from streaming.

Yeah this is absolutely not true if you’re not with a major label.

It’s true though - the major artists are what draw people to Spotify, and what draws minor artists to Spotify are the people already listening, so...

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

weird Asian candy posted:

So :same:

We suck at sticking to a budget and we are going to make a real effort to do so in 2019.

Does anyone have any budget planning/money tracking software they recommend?

We use YNAB4 but ever since it went cloud I'm not sure you can get it anymore. The cloud version is supposedly fine now after a rocky start though. Our problem was less budget and more I kinda gave up closely watching it and we had a lot of household stuff we always wanted to buy so getting "caught up" over saving happened. Hopefully it's out of our system now because with the Dink life there's no reason we can't be saving 15-20% our take home easy

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Master Stur posted:

We use YNAB4 but ever since it went cloud I'm not sure you can get it anymore. The cloud version is supposedly fine now after a rocky start though. Our problem was less budget and more I kinda gave up closely watching it and we had a lot of household stuff we always wanted to buy so getting "caught up" over saving happened. Hopefully it's out of our system now because with the Dink life there's no reason we can't be saving 15-20% our take home easy

Yeah I did some searching and this one seems to be the top app on many lists. Looks like there is a free trial, I'll check it out ty!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Someone make a new Chat thread for the new year so this one doesn't kill the forums by being 366 days old or some poo poo.

also I'll name and shame all the people who voted 1

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Athanatos posted:

Someone make a new Chat thread for the new year so this one doesn't kill the forums by being 366 days old or some poo poo.

voted 1 just now to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Athanatos posted:

ok done