Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

So I supposedly have an upper respiratory tract infection and have been prescribed antibiotics. Over the phone, I guess based on a fever lasting three days. Is this one of those "antibiotics are massively over-prescribed" cases? Also I have three antibiotics allergies so I've got Azithromycin this time, but I'm concerned I'll develop allergies to more and have a dwindling number of effective antibiotics left available to me as I get older.

I guess I'm taking it anyway but it concerns me. I don't have any sinus pressure, and the gunk I'm coughing up isn't bright yellow or green like I'd associate with an infection.

While you may not have a bacterial infection, based on what you have described the antibiotics are meant to be preventive. Like right now you have a perfect storm for a sinus infection or pneumonia developing. The antibiotics will help prevent that, and may help you get better a bit quicker if a bacterial population has already started its thing.

Are you allergic to three antibiotics in the same class? Like are you allergic to penicillin and therefore most penicillin analogs? That is nothing to worry about, especially since an actual allergy (as opposed to sensitivity) is pretty rare and there are plenty of alternatives. Taking anti-biotics doesn't make you allergic to them (outside of some rare cases). Almost all antibiotic allergies are type 1 hypersensitivity, meaning no prior exposure is required for an allergic reaction to occur.

edit: Also, there is no correlation to sputum color and etiology (bacterial vs. viral vs. allergen induced).

swickles fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

186 posted:

I'm watching a show about Stonehenge, and everything "possibly holds religious or ritual significance."

Is there anything in archeology that doesn't hold religious or ritual significance, because it sure as hell seems that way.

Also my dog won't stop farting.

Almost any monument or structure that still exists today was built to last forever, so basically yes. Like, you aren't going to build your house with the same reverence as a tribute to the thing that makes the Sun come back everyday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

What I'm getting form this person is that they're offering their corpse up for twenty-four hours of selfies once they die, correct?

Isn't "pleading down to desecration of a corpse" a trope in Law and Order type shows where the person dies, but someone covered it up hoping to get away with it despite not doing anything wrong? Like, I know I have seen it in Bones and Law and Order, has to be in every show right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Crosspost from TVIV, but in wake of thr Logan Paul stuff:

Oh this whole thing reminds me, Do You Want to See a Dead Body? is really funny. Its on YouTube Red, but half the episodes are available for free. Its Rob Heubel taking friends on a trip to see a dead body. As expected, Terry Crews is a delight.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No I am just picturing a Pats game but the seats are all filled with penguins and I wish that would happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Parihuela, Peruvian seafood soup, is the best soup. If its served proper it comes with a whole crab in a giant bowl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Good god was this like 35 years ago?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I thought Mexico was going to pay for it. A single American dollar towards the wall is a failure and broken campaign promise.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sitting at a bar waiting for some wings and the dude behind me alleged that the Carolina player tripped up because his long hair got in his eyes and needs to cut it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Now i am hearing some very carefully chosen words on why he doesn't like Cam.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

axeil posted:

well gently caress

i'm an alumni advisor to my fraternity and i am going to miss the championship games because they're loving morons and can't use alcohol correctly and we need someone to go tell them how bad they hosed up.

gently caress these loving kids, i should've quit when i wanted to back in september

a kid was found with a bac of .17 and nearly in a coma after a party. i loving hate these kids, i hope they all gently caress up again so i can wash my hands of the whole thing

That is your speech. "You dumb fucks I could be watching the fradulent NCG right now!!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

Chiming in to say that The Good Place is indeed funny and the girl who plays Janet is a superstar.

It's also real funny that Jacksonville got good, ruining so many excellent jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59ItK6d-wQ

My favorite line from the last episode was when someone says the Jags suck his response is "No we don't. We just need some offense and some defense and some rule changes."

Also, check out the season 1 gag reel on YouTube. They improvise so many great Jacksonville jokes.

Also, TVIV has its top 10 voting for shows of 2017 that is being culled from the top 50, so check that out for a succinct list.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wasn't the halftime show somewhere else completely?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’ve probably only got enough to wipe out the west coast and the path re-election is a lot easier if the US starts at the Rockies.

Cant have elections if you declare state if emergency and Head of State for life.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

axeil posted:

Can we ban HOAs for non-condos already? The only scenario where they make sense is when you're literally sharing walls with people.

HOA's are only as good as the people running them. In the house I grew up in, the HOA negotiated a base cable package with the cable company. So you had to have at least basic cable (you could always upgrade) but it was cheaper than normal. They also did all the landscaping. The only time they ever sent notices to people was if it was something really bad or unsafe.

That said, like I only ever hear horror stories about HOA's. The one where my parents live now is bad, its all retirees who fight with each other and have nothing better to do. They also don't know what a budget is and do really dumb poo poo that ends up costing even more money on top of the dues.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol arpaio is running for Senate

Here's hoping he Moore's the gently caress out of that race

Also likely to happen: Joe runs as an independent after he loses the primary and splits votes with the GOP, letting a Dem win.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

He lost re-election, so at least _some_ of maricopa is tired of his poo poo

Yeah, but it was mostly because his poo poo was causing the county millions of dollars in lawsuits, less so because they were actually bad things.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Also holy poo poo mudslides of all things killed 13 people in richass Santa Barbara

I only know about Santa Barbara from Psych and the UCSB Banana Slugs. Both make me want to live there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

All I care about is Santa Barara having oceans, forests, food trucks, and psychic dectives. Please tell me the Mexican place that injects sour cream into each bean exists.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its not quite as simple as "they dont just care anymore". A lot of people (not all, and not specifically naming someone) will have some degree of atrophy of the brain at that age. Atrophy of the frontal lobe, which is also a lobe attacked in a lot of other disease processes, results in a lack of inhibition and poor decision making.

So its more that the governer that tells you not to do things gets busted, which is why the elderly are often handsy and blunt. Its also quite prevalent in women too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am actually impressed CNN had the balls to air that uncensored.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I'm trying to find a hotel for a night in Fort Lauderdale, and am having issues finding one that is not expensive, nor infested with bed bugs and/or cockroaches...

Do NOT stay at the Roadway Inn.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve been in a waiting room at a va hospital for two hours after a two hour drive. The surgeon i’m supposed to see for a consult isn’t here and i’m seeing a resident instead (who probably can’t make surgical decisions) so i’m likely to have to come back in 3-4 months when they have another appointment for me. I closed the taco truck last night and today as a result foregoing around $500 in my pocket to very likely waste my time today. :smith:

While the attending has final say, the resident does make a lot of the decision making, especially if he is in his 4th or 5th year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah. I also don’t get how Mcdonagal didn’t join the Order. Head of House Gryffindor but you don’t feel like fighting the dark lord? gently caress outta here

She was in the Order though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Anyone have the text, its behind a paywall.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Scarlet Letter. Ugh.

It would have made a great short story. Hawthorne's short stories were really good and I think students would be better served reading a couple of his short stories over the Scarlet Letter. I remember Earth's Holocaust being one that stood out.

Leperflesh posted:

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when I was 17 and immediately felt very confident that I was now a super smart hot poo poo guy and all my peers were sadly quite mentally deficient for not having been exposed to such incredible philosophy and wisdom.

I also had to read ZAMM in high school. I remember reading it at the time and wasn't sure if I was "getting it" or if there wasn't much to get. I did end up getting a degree in philosophy and in retrospect it was a book that had some great ideas surrounded by a bunch of nonsense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

My AP US History class was right when the 2003 Iraq war started.

Fun year

My first semester of college was in fall 2001. I thought about doing Poli Sci as a major, and was taking International Relations. Our teacher literally ripped up the syllabus once classes restarted after 9/11.

I took IB English which I liked because it included books that weren't US/British authors only. Off the top of my head, we read Scarlet Letter and a couple Hawthorne short stories, 100 Years of Solitude, The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea, Dune (I chose that out of a list of like 25 other books), and a couple Ibsen plays. Then senior year was Handmaid's Tale and some Atwood poetry, some Frost poems, The Sun Also Rises, Song of Solomon, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Heart of Darkness, and a few other short form readings.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Jesuits passing judgement on anyone... bunch of anti semetic, gay hating paedophile cunts.

That dude literally argues for LGBT rights like two tweets down from the linked one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

So what? His order put the Republican party to shame.

The Jesuit Order is in support of science, religious tolerance, human rights and liberal values. The Catholic Church (outside of abortion) is pretty liberal and the Jesuit Order is the leftist branch of that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drat, Aziz Ansari might also be a sex monster.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Whoa where are these details holy poo poo not you Aziz

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just saw Russell Wilson in FLL. I'm taller, lol.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No one cares that I met Russel Wilson :(. He was a super nice pygmy that signed autographs for children despite being in a hurry.

I am a little salty because this is the first celebrity encounter I can discuss without violating HIPAA. He was super nice and I hope his dolphin training classes go well!

edit: Tom Cruise babysat me once while filming All the Right Moves, but I have no recollection of that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Oh I didn't know you met him I thought you just saw him.

That rules, what was the deal

I went to the airport to pick up my aunt who is escaping the bitter cold for a few days. Her plane landed and had to wait 45 minutes for a gate. As I am waiting, there was a guy with 3 small children who were all apparently Seahawks fans there to pick up a family member who texted them that Russell Wilson was on his flight. Russell comes out signs some autographs for the kids but says he is kind of in a hurry, shakes hands with people and signs a few things before darting off to towards bag claim or car service. Was a real nice guy and made sure the kids were happy, but still shook hands and said hi to everyone, even the people who had no clue who he was, and then bolted. I feel like he acted the exact same way I would if I was a celebrity; shake hands, make the kids happy, and run.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh, and I am 6' even and I towered over him. Dude is 5'10" at most and I felt like if I had the agility to actually lay a hit on him I would crush him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

They comforted her while I was at work but they like to bounce back and forth when we're in two different rooms and I don't want them bugging her and jostling the bed around :smith:

seriously

Now is a good time to take some Zicam. Its normally not effective, because you have to take it before you start to show any symptoms. It might actually help.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

Was under the impression that stuff is a scam, along with all other homeopathic remedies :confused:

y’all my poor wife is so sick. She cannot hold down anything, even the anti nausea meds. I hope things settle down for her soon so she can get some sleep :smith:

Zinc, which is the active ingredient in Zicam, can interfere with viral replication. The problem is that the window to take it and be effective is very small. So people package it with vitamins and "immune boosters". Homeopathic remedies, which is just water thats been diluted a thousand times over is indeed horseshit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

You know what else has zinc in it?
oysters. :backtowork:

(And :gizz:)

The trick is getting it to concentrate in your mucous membranes, which is why the spray is effective vs an oral supplement.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just watched Bright. I pretended it was a Lord of the Rings sequel set thousands of years later and I kind of enjoyed that. I also liked the idea of orcs being the ideal NFL linesmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

You ever walk around with earbuds in but not play any music so no one will try to talk to you? Thats my day today.