Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Perhaps it was another ‘sexed up by Marketing’ card. The fact it works mechanically (to it’s benefit) differently to the other two feels... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm glad we live in a world where Builder of Nations is good and NBN sucks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Possibly-controversial opinion: film critic should be banned outright, not just restricted. 1 credit and 1 inf to blank a whole bunch of defensive agendas plus cards like punitive counterstrike and hunter seeker is too broad even for a hoser card, plus cards that blank other cards are inherently boring, and therefore bad design (see also: Rumour Mill, Estrike)

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think in general the stronger the effect the more influence it should cost it would enforce less importing and give you compelling reasons to play one faction over another.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
New data pack preview. New anarch runner, seems like a much more well designed Noise. Could be real cool with a virus deck.

Also new Jinteki stuff shown, including a HQ/R&D upgrade that lets the runner access more cards??? Obviously for triggering traps but still seems real sketchy.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

CodfishCartographer posted:

New data pack preview. New anarch runner, seems like a much more well designed Noise. Could be real cool with a virus deck.

Also new Jinteki stuff shown, including a HQ/R&D upgrade that lets the runner access more cards??? Obviously for triggering traps but still seems real sketchy.

It's also free to rez and if they access 4 cards you'll make 8 credits. If you park it on HQ you can threaten double snare or even just making a pile of money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah, that plus a Whampoa or Mirajū on the table is just gross.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Yeah, that plus a Whampoa or Mirajū on the table is just gross.

How do cards that manipulate Archives or seed the bottom of R&D help with Mwanza?

I mean, i'm out of the loop, but if Jackson Howard is out of play, you can't really force an R&D reshuffle, can you?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I love that they made a song & dance about it's trash cost and how it's not going anywhere, whilst on the same loving page providing a way for it to be trashed for 0 cost.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I can't quite decide if Viral Weaponisation is good? But it looks fun.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Zephro posted:

I can't quite decide if Viral Weaponisation is good? But it looks fun.

It's good, but not really an autoinclude. Potential Unleashed mill decks will adore it and it will be useful for those decks that treat damage as a tool for creating timing windows (especially given Obokatas).

For your typical red deck aiming for a kill it will be okay, if really interchangeable.

I like to see a virus Anarch again, even if the cost to use his ability seems steep. I guess you'll just stock up on Datasuckers and Yusufs you don't really need to use for their own abilities, but I fear some "why don't I just play Kim" thoughts.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

See i wondered about PU but I'm not so sure. Don't most PU decks want TFP, GFI or Obokata? Ie defensive agendas you don't really plan to score? They'll try to score HoN but that's about it.

Also constant pings for 1 damage use the ID ability better than large chunks all at once.

edit: it seems like a super-Ronin to me, in that it encourages the runner to run your advanced cards and faceplant into Junebugs etc, while also having a payoff if they don't take the bait. So it seems like it'd be good in shell-game decks or mushin decks.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 12, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think the wording means 1 damage plinks triggering [grip] times, which would trigger the ID a lot. Wouldn't it be otherwise spelled do X damage where X is cards in grip?

And while you do indeed prefer sitting on defense, you want to score something to finish with post-mill Obokatas, or not to die to Levy/Caldera/Film Critic. House of Knives is already great here, and I see it being equally useful.

I also find it intriguing that it doesn't trigger immediately and rather waits until the end of your turn (to avoid immediate follow up with Neural EMP) - which given install-advance-advance in previous turn should leave you with a click for some shenanigans. I'm not sure what options are there right now, but even just having the runner with no cards and HHN/MCA Informant could lead to some cute Zugzwangs.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Lichtenstein posted:

I think the wording means 1 damage plinks triggering [grip] times, which would trigger the ID a lot. Wouldn't it be otherwise spelled do X damage where X is cards in grip?
Oh yeah, heh. I'm dumb.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deviant posted:

How do cards that manipulate Archives or seed the bottom of R&D help with Mwanza?

I mean, i'm out of the loop, but if Jackson Howard is out of play, you can't really force an R&D reshuffle, can you?

Whampoa and Mirajū both let you throw agendas out of HQ during a run, so the runner accesses 4 operations and ICE, and you gain 8 at no risk

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Can someone help me out and tell me what's in the Revised Core? I have the original core set and was thinking about playing again sometime soon. I've heard both that it contains the same cards but in different ratios and also that the old core set isn't tournament legal anymore but I'm honestly not sure what's true.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

food court bailiff posted:

Can someone help me out and tell me what's in the Revised Core? I have the original core set and was thinking about playing again sometime soon. I've heard both that it contains the same cards but in different ratios and also that the old core set isn't tournament legal anymore but I'm honestly not sure what's true.

The old core set isn't legal anymore, and the new core set contains a mixture of cards from the old core and the first two cycles of expansions.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The old core set isn't legal anymore, and the new core set contains a mixture of cards from the old core and the first two cycles of expansions.
The upshot being that if you have Core 1 and the Genesis and Spin cycles you can put together a Core 2 without spending any more cash.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zephro posted:

The upshot being that if you have Core 1 and the Genesis and Spin cycles you can put together a Core 2 without spending any more cash.

The downside being that since I don't, I'll have to buy a Revised set and will end up with a bunch of superfluous cards.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Also if you want the way better art. There's a few cards with an art style that doesn't match the rest of the game, and then there's ones that are just way better. Viktor doesn't look like he's stuck his head in a fishbowl anymore.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly what's the minimum investment to be somewhat competitive these days? I'm looking at Amazon and it looks like there's a dozen pages of data packs and expansions, and I don't know enough about the meta to know whether it's dominated by the same three or four decks or if you can buy random data packs and kinda make do.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Honestly the cheapest way to go is get on eBay and buy someone s collection who's getting out. It's not collectible so you won't get doubles, and you can usually get up to speed at half off

Alternately, 1 core, 1 each of the deluxe expansions and all 4 world champs decks would probably see you through for ~$200

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugh. So basically a ~$200 investment either way? I guess it's not the scene for me. Thanks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Netrunner used to have the selling point of being much cheaper than MtG but I’m not so sure if that’s the case anymore. Shame Netrunner Singles aren’t really a thing.

e: still worth playing online at least

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Netrunner used to have the selling point of being much cheaper than MtG but I’m not so sure if that’s the case anymore. Shame Netrunner Singles aren’t really a thing.

It's really a shame, too because out of the LCGs it seems the most like the old CCGs that I loved. I mean, I like the co-op ones like LotR and Arkham Horror, but they're way different than trying to set up a deck and facing off against a real person. Plus, the theme is rad.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The downside being that since I don't, I'll have to buy a Revised set and will end up with a bunch of superfluous cards.
That's annoying. I wonder if you can get Genesis and Spin for cheap now that they're no longer legal?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's really a shame, too because out of the LCGs it seems the most like the old CCGs that I loved. I mean, I like the co-op ones like LotR and Arkham Horror, but they're way different than trying to set up a deck and facing off against a real person. Plus, the theme is rad.

LCGs just end up being super expensive once they've been out for a while, since they've been releasing a pack a month (mostly) for years and they're almost all useful. The only upside vs something like Magic is that instead of spending a shitload of money to buy one deck, you're spending a shitload of money to buy every deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

LCGs just end up being super expensive once they've been out for a while, since they've been releasing a pack a month (mostly) for years and they're almost all useful. The only upside vs something like Magic is that instead of spending a shitload of money to buy one deck, you're spending a shitload of money to buy every deck.

$200 is not a shitload of money.

It costs $120 to buy 4 cards for Standard in MtG right now that you need to compete, and it will be worth $5 next year when it rotates. To spend $200, once, is a pittance for literally infinite gaming, especially since you can just sell it again for $200 in a year or two if you get tired of it, losing $0.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Elizabeth Mills posted:

It costs $120 to buy 4 cards for Standard in MtG right now that you need to compete, and it will be worth $5 next year when it rotates. To spend $200, once, is a pittance for literally infinite gaming, especially since you can just sell it again for $200 in a year or two if you get tired of it, losing $0.

The thing is, in my experience MtG is actually significantly cheaper if you’re just going for a fun casual deck. You can drop 20-30 bucks on some average singles and it might not be tournament winning / legal but it’s something you made and you can easily play with friends. Netrunner you drop 20-30 bucks and…you have two or three datapacks? Each datapack has one, MAYBE two cards that’re worth using - not just for tournament level, but just at all. So much of Netrunner design is silver bullet and hyper focused. You can’t just throw all the shaper cards you got from this random datapack you bought into a shaper deck and call it a day, because your poo poo really needs to be efficient or you’ll get locked out hard. From the corp side, you probably can't because it'll unbalance your ice / agenda / whatever ratios.

Man, this really makes me wish that Netrunner drafting was more of A Thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

You're not really that competitive if you only spend 200 bucks. Like, sure, you can play, but you wouldn't be aspiring to national level competition.

Also, yes, 200 is a lot of money for a card game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Plus, uh, set rotations in Magic happen something like yearly now, right? If Netrunner is releasing data packs that whole time at $15 a pop that's $240 worth of cards before the next rotation happens.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The thing is, in my experience MtG is actually significantly cheaper if you’re just going for a fun casual deck. You can drop 20-30 bucks on some average singles and it might not be tournament winning / legal but it’s something you made and you can easily play with friends.

Then play off a single core set. Same concept, you're artificially restricting yourself due to budget constraints

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What's the big goofy looking campaign box thing? How do you do a "campaign" of a straight-up adversarial game like this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terminal Directive. They do it by keeping some status (number of games won/lost, choices you make, etc) and introducing some cards depending on those status changes. Some of those cards can bring their own status effects.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I can say that as someone who had an old Core and wanted to get back into the game with a reboot, a Old Core + Revised Core nets you nearly 3x of 2/3rds of the current Revised Core box. There are a bunch of cards that land at 2 copies and a handful that land at 1 copy this route, but it certainly has worked for me so far. I’ve been holding off on getting a 2nd Revised core while I’ve been going hard into building up my Deluxe sets and buying a bunch of data packs I want, but if you have an old Core or can get one on the cheap, it’s not a bad starting point.

I will say, however, that you probably will need to invest into a 3rd core at some point if you want to be competitive as a Corp player. Alt art in your deck is fun and good as a runner but it’s not so great if you’ve got two copies in hand of a Corp card with different art, cause it can give away your hand “position” to the runner if they get lucky and pull both copies at different times, whereas same art they wouldn’t know if they pulled another copy or the same one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I can say that as someone who had an old Core and wanted to get back into the game with a reboot, a Old Core + Revised Core nets you nearly 3x of 2/3rds of the current Revised Core box. There are a bunch of cards that land at 2 copies and a handful that land at 1 copy this route, but it certainly has worked for me so far. I’ve been holding off on getting a 2nd Revised core while I’ve been going hard into building up my Deluxe sets and buying a bunch of data packs I want, but if you have an old Core or can get one on the cheap, it’s not a bad starting point.

I will say, however, that you probably will need to invest into a 3rd core at some point if you want to be competitive as a Corp player. Alt art in your deck is fun and good as a runner but it’s not so great if you’ve got two copies in hand of a Corp card with different art, cause it can give away your hand “position” to the runner if they get lucky and pull both copies at different times, whereas same art they wouldn’t know if they pulled another copy or the same one.

This intrigues me. So enough of the O.G. core is legal to actually use for deckbuilding? I did end up ordering the revised core regardless.

I'd really like to play this locally at a level that's "not guaranteed to lose before even playing out a turn" even if it's not "good enough to win tournaments". Failing that, I guess I can play around with my D&D crew or something.

E: pulled all the still-legal cards from my core 1 to add to my revised core when it arrives today. It's a decently fat stack of cards and enough for more than a single playset of some cards so I might make some goofy side decks or something.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 13, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

netrunner is definitely cheap compared to magic, but it's insane to tell people that dropping $200 on a single game (and a very limited experience in that game, for that matter) is NBD

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Screw it, I just bought a bunch of random data packs that are still legal and had 1-day shipping on Amazon. I live near FFG so there's a pretty okay scene around here still (uh, as far as I know at least) and Netrunner is a game that I enjoy playing. How do the rotation cycles work? I think the earliest thing I grabbed is from Mumbad so it should be safe for at least a while. And while I know it's dumb to buy random packs without regard for what corp or runner faction I'm shooting for, I tried to kinda spread my purchases to give me a little bit of room to expand all of them a little and see what I liked. Is there anything in the meta that I definitely need to know about before showing up at some local store event? I've literally only played this with my cards with friends before.

As a random aside, I think several of the data packs in the first two cycles have names cool enough that they should still be legal on that merit alone.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Man, this really makes me wish that Netrunner drafting was more of A Thing.

Please Cube Draft, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

How do the rotation cycles work?
Well so far there's only been one so it's hard to say. But in theory at least big box expansions (Creation and Control, Honour and Profit, Order and Chaos, Data and Destiny and Terminal Directive) will never rotate out. Presumably other cycles will rotate out in blocks of two, like Genesis and Spin did. If so Lunar and SanSan will be next to go, but I don't think there's been any official word on that so it's probably a long way out.

The main question is whether they'll stick with the idea of integrating some of the rotated cards into a new Core, since it's a fairly elegant way to tweak the game without penalising people who've been playing for ages by forcing them to buy new core sets. On the other hand they may not need to since both the outright busted and outright terrible Core 1.0 cards are gone now.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 14, 2018