Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/barriecassidy/status/948533087780052992

https://twitter.com/damonheraldsun/status/948320654868201472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Matthew 'had a lobster dinner with a liberal doner mafia boss' Guy is also on holidays.

edit: from may https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/more-lies-from-matthew-guy-on-law-and-order/

quote:

Liberal Leader Matthew Guy continues to tell lies about law and order in Victoria.

When asked about law and order issues facing Victoria on radio this morning, Matthew Guy said: “the government does nothing about it.” Jon Faine Morning Program, ABC Radio, 24 May 2017.

It follows the Liberal Leader saying after the Victorian Budget 2017/18 that there was “not one new cent” for law and order.

This is a pattern of behaviour from the Liberal Leader – who is prepared to say anything to make a political point.

The Budget delivers around $5 billion for community safety, including more police, additional family violence services, and more investment in corrections and for victims of crime.

And just today, the Andrews Labor Government announced the largest ever suite of legislative reforms, including sentencing standards for 12 of the most serious crimes – including murder, rape and sexual offences involving children.

It will also be harder than ever for serious offenders to get bail in Victoria and community safety will be given a much higher priority.

Young offenders that assault staff, damage property, escape or attempt to escape while incarcerated will serve extra sentences on top of their existing period of detention. These are the toughest ever consequences for youth offenders.

We are also creating new public order laws to crack down on violent behaviour at major events, and we have already passed tough new offences for carjacking and home invasion, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Police Lisa Neville

“The fact is the Government is taking unprecedented action to give Victoria Police the powers and the resources they need to keep Victoria safe.

“If the Liberal Party is serious about community safety – rather than political grandstanding – they should pass our bills without delay.”

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 4, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What's #springst?

edit - a Victorian politics thing?

e2: \/\/ Thought so, thanks

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 4, 2018

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The location of Victorian parliament.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zenithe posted:

I think there still should be some consistency with excise tax. For the life of me I have no idea why spirits are taxed through the roof but you can still get 5L of Coolibah for nothing.

Wine is taxed at 30% of wholesale price, which is why goon is so cheap - the wholesale price is probably about $7. If the normal alcohol excise was applied it would put the price up to $70 for a goonbag. That would also bring down the price of bottles of wine that wholesale for more than around $17 a bottle IIRC, so a bottle of Grange would be about $200 cheaper lol

I'm not sure if the taxation arrangements are still the same but a few years ago the brewing companies were pushing really hard to promote cider because it was considered for excise purposes as wine so it got the same favourable tax treatment.

Les Affaires posted:

Instead of a flat excise on every litre of alcohol, why not just a floor price so that Coolibah and all the other ridiculously cheap ones disappear out of the market?
A flat tax per liter of alcohol will have the effect of introducing a price floor per standard drink. Naturally the big players in the wine industry who sell predominantly cheap wine are fighting tooth and nail against this because it will destroy them if the changes go ahead. I guess this has implications politically because most of those businesses are based in rural towns and are big employers in those areas, plus there will be a huge cost to grapegrowers as they pull out their vines.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The 'journalism' over teen gang Jihad in Melbourne is so far beneath contempt it is hard to know how to respond. It does give a good indication of the standard of the media in Australia in regards to truth in reporting :itwaspoo:

2 Billion a year in exports isn't to be sneezed at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-07-19/wine-exports-increase-australia-reputation-grows/8724818

Which raises the question: If there is this sort of money to be made overseas why would a sane farmer dig up their vines? Turns out that the domestic market is ~ 3 Billion (source -https://www.wineaustralia.com/getmedia/338d5fa2-6867-4a98-b8b2-df879f49588a/PSI-Report_2016). Focus on the export market maybe?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
An upper middle class third-generation Melbournite who relishes in the idea of his home city being recognised as the progressive hub of Australia – especially when compared to the regional hillbilly centres up North – says he’s a lot of things, but he is not a racist.

Colin Ingwood is a lapsed pescatarian, he’s a lactose sensitive Capricorn, he’s a diehard Aussie rules fan, he’s got a member of the Albert Park golf course and he loves Courtney Barnett – so it’s not hard to see why he gets confused when people assume he boos at footballers because of their race.

“It’s got nothing to do with race. Adam Goodes used to milk free kicks”

“And he was a flog”

As described by the Oxford Dictionary, the word ‘Flog’ is a multi-purpose expression, predominantly of Victorian origin.

In this circumstance, Colin has opted to use the word as a noun, in keeping with the Victorian usage to thinly-veil a racial hatred towards a prominent sportsman or other public figure.

However, football politics aside, Colin also disagrees that he his disdain for seeing groups of African teenagers loitering in the streets near his once working-class inner-city suburb should be interpreted as racist.

“You don’t live here so you don’t understand” he says to anyone who questions his eagerness to see war-weary and at-risk Sudanese teenagers deported back to the countries their parents fled from.

“My neighbourhood Facebook group and I have worked very hard for this to become a family-friendly area – and it seems the moment we got rid of the remaining bikie pubs and injecting rooms – a wave of kids who like playing rap music off their iPhone speakers moved in”

“I’m not racist, I just think this is a bit out of control. Have you read the news? This is a CRISIS”

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol the IPA is against the foreign donation and Get Up! donation ban

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

You Am I posted:

Have to be, it's government regulation of private enterprise. Also would cause them problems by not being able to use their overseas backers to donate directly to politicians.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

“Solemn Sloth” posted:

I can sense this being a gigantic self own when the libs can no longer accept massive donations from foreign nationals, all to stop a few gofundme dollars going to GetUp

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going to be a nice sunny day in the Southeast tomorrow. D:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

An upper middle class third-generation Melbournite who relishes in the idea of his home city being recognised as the progressive hub of Australia – especially when compared to the regional hillbilly centres up North – says he’s a lot of things, but he is not a racist.

Colin Ingwood is a lapsed pescatarian, he’s a lactose sensitive Capricorn, he’s a diehard Aussie rules fan, he’s got a member of the Albert Park golf course and he loves Courtney Barnett – so it’s not hard to see why he gets confused when people assume he boos at footballers because of their race.

“It’s got nothing to do with race. Adam Goodes used to milk free kicks”

“And he was a flog”

As described by the Oxford Dictionary, the word ‘Flog’ is a multi-purpose expression, predominantly of Victorian origin.

In this circumstance, Colin has opted to use the word as a noun, in keeping with the Victorian usage to thinly-veil a racial hatred towards a prominent sportsman or other public figure.

However, football politics aside, Colin also disagrees that he his disdain for seeing groups of African teenagers loitering in the streets near his once working-class inner-city suburb should be interpreted as racist.

“You don’t live here so you don’t understand” he says to anyone who questions his eagerness to see war-weary and at-risk Sudanese teenagers deported back to the countries their parents fled from.

“My neighbourhood Facebook group and I have worked very hard for this to become a family-friendly area – and it seems the moment we got rid of the remaining bikie pubs and injecting rooms – a wave of kids who like playing rap music off their iPhone speakers moved in”

“I’m not racist, I just think this is a bit out of control. Have you read the news? This is a CRISIS”

I fully support the sharing of Betoota Advocate articles as legitimate news. They're frankly better journalism than what we're getting anywhere else

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

X13Fen posted:

I fully support the sharing of Betoota Advocate articles as legitimate news. They're frankly better journalism than what we're getting anywhere else

I picked this one straight away but it honestly took me a few minutes with the Malcolm Roberts one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/AusElectoralCom/status/949116875140558848

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jan/05/larissa-waters-faces-tough-internal-challenge-for-greens-spot-in-senate?CMP=soc_567 Ben Pennings is going to challenge Larissa Waters for her senate seat.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

interesting choice of colour

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Visidan posted:

interesting choice of colour
Nice blood splatter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep wondering if there's anything I, personally, can do to speed the property crash. Like, go to houses on open inspection and start laughing at people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Queensland has now been redistributed to cover the entire eastern seaboard.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Queensland has now been redistributed into the sun.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/949116620684771328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice/status/949149370833760256

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Honestly dont know if this is fake or not.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

NPR Journalizard posted:

certified boat parody

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/949100087350710272

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Gorilla Mindthet baby

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I have evolved to photosynthesize, and thus have no need for shops or dining out.

I get all my required sugars from alcohol, and let the sun do the rest.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

They just order ubereats.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Please go out and spend spend spend Millenials. Never mind that we don't pay you enough, say there's roaming gangs and that if you DO eat out clearly you don't deserve that house, you waster

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

Does it even matter at this point?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey NTRabbit, add another new SA gin to your list

https://www.lyrebirddistilling.company

Real soft but nice, bunch of native botanicals.

Why yes I am at a bar. Carry on.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
UBEREATS is the new smashed avocado for whingeing millennials.

This “snowflake” generation, which blames everybody but themselves for their inability to buy a house, thinks nothing of ordering two pricey takeaway meals a day delivered to their home or work.

Thanks to their UberEATS addiction, Australians aged in their 20s and 30s are rapidly becoming fat, poor and awkward.

How did taking a humble (and cost-effective) sandwich to work become so unfashionable?

At 3AW, hardly a day goes by without several younger employees ordering lunch on their phones via the UberEATS app.

Typically, they spend $25 (plus a $5 delivery fee) to have a driver collect tacos/pizza/noodles/pho/burgers and deliver them to our office. This process is often repeated in the evenings after the same young workers arrive at home “too tired to cook”.

Two such takeaway meals a day, five days a week, amount to an annual expenditure of $14,400 (not including weekends or holidays).

This is a lot of money down the drain for convenience — better described as laziness.

Before UberEATS, young people either cooked for themselves — a dying skill now — or at least got off their bums and walked to the local takeaway.

Millennials, however, think differently. Why perform a task yourself when you can pay someone else to do it for you?

The same young workers who devour hand-delivered takeaway meals each day also love to complain. They bemoan the high cost of living; that their wages rarely cover essential expenditures like petrol, rent, utilities and the ubiquitous mobile phone bills.

An obvious solution for millennials’ perceived financial woes exists: Ditch UberEATS and bring a homemade sandwich to work, instead. And on Sunday evenings, ahead of the busy working week, cook up some bolognese sauce which, when teamed with easily heated spaghetti, provides a series of tasty, filling and cheap dinners. Very little culinary genius is required to produce such simple meals.

Yet when I suggested these ideas to my younger co-workers, their protests were immediate and loud. “But I’m a foodie!” cried one.

“My tastebuds require daily and varied stimulation.”

“UberEATS is so convenient,” opined another. “And the food is really good for you!”

What utter nonsense.

I’m so over this “foodie” culture.

Too many think that because they eat breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, they’re gourmets whose opinions on dining require sharing on social media. Yet nothing is more pathetic than young folk who photograph their meals rather than just eat them.

As to the Uber delivery service’s supposed health benefits, give me a break. The same co-worker who claimed takeaway meals were wholesome was later observed ordering a quarter-pounder with cheese, large fries and a thickshake from McDonald’s. Soon after, this “creative” lunch appeared at her desk courtesy of — you guessed it — UberEATS. No nutritional value whatsoever. And not even any exercise undertaken to collect the food in question. And thanks to its focus on junk food — and elimination of effort — UberEATS is making millennials overweight. One or two high-kilojoule, fat-laden meals a day do terrible things to the waistline. According to the Australian Medical Association, today’s 20-somethings might be the first generation in history to suffer reduced life expectancy, relative to their parents.

Hand-delivered fast food is a substantial cause of this problem.

UberEATS’ addictive convenience also drains wallets. Instead of paying cash at their local sandwich shop, the cost of every delivered meal is plonked on the fuss-free credit card. All gain and no financial pain now; but at $30-plus a pop, the UberEATS chickens come home to roost at month’s end when the bank statement arrives.

And because it reduces the need to step outside one’s front door, UberEATS also makes millennials socially awkward.

This is a generation whose members meet each other online (think dating app Tinder), prefer to converse via instant messaging rather than actual talking, and spend more time posting their experiences on Facebook and Instagram than actually living them. Genuine face-to-face interaction this is not.

Cooking and eating meals used to be regarded as a social event. UberEATS is killing that.

One young person I know has takeaway coffee delivered to her home at weekends. She is also very shy.

My advice? Abandon the UberEATS app. And walk to your local cafe for a coffee — and a chat — with the friendly barista.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Post the author. I will find them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I cant believe that anyone would spend that on lunches. My 5 lunches each week come to a total spoend of less than $7 for the whole week.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey NTRabbit, add another new SA gin to your list

https://www.lyrebirddistilling.company

Real soft but nice, bunch of native botanicals.

Why yes I am at a bar. Carry on.

Added. Best use for the thread imo

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It’s Tom Elliot, John Elliot’s even stupider but less criminal son

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought Millennials were ruining the dining industry though :confused:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Zenithe posted:

I thought Millennials were ruining the dining industry though :confused:
Millennials don't eat enough, they eat too much, they don't spend enough at retail stores, they spend too much at retail stores.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 5, 2018

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I cant believe that anyone would spend that on lunches. My 5 lunches each week come to a total spoend of less than $7 for the whole week.

What's on the menu for $7 a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Millennianls don't eat enough, they eat too much, they don't spend enough at retail stores, they spend too much at retail stores.

Millennials are responsible for failing business which somehow haven't adapted to the modern age. (because they know what the internet and global commerce is)

Millennials aren't hard workers (what do you mean you won't do backbreaking seasonal casual labor for the same wages I paid out in the 1970s? It was good then and it should be good enough for you too!)

Millennials fresh out of uni don't have the 10 years of industry experience required for entry level positions because we no longer train staff or have career advancement plans.

Millennials have no loyalty to the organisation which will happily run them into the ground and treat them like cheap disposable furniture.

Millennials :bahgawd:

• Locked thread