Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't understand the layout of this armory.

What's the point of having a whole bunch of weapons if you can't host gladiator matches from time to time?

With nerve gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

If only spider Man had gripped the roof with his feet somehow, using some sort of ability

Or if he had the foresight to wear a second web-shooter on his other hand. It's too late now; coordinating the use of dual web-shooters would probably take years of daily practice to master.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Lobok posted:

Is that building two stories tall...?

Apparently so. The street shown in yesterday's comic implies a very low building if it runs right past the armory, and today's comic agrees.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The really shocking thing here? He's using the same web-shooter he used to web up Kilgrave.

So Spidey webbed up Kilgrave, switched the web to his other hand, and had to be reminded that he was still wearing the web-shooter he used less than a minute ago.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how newspaper SM is faking pictures now.

Oh, that ship has long since sailed.

Amazing Spider-Man #4.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

I forgot about the webwings so looked up some early Spidey stuff and found the first comic he was on the cover of.

Really fitting that in his literal first appearance he is thinking out-loud and being bad at secret identities.

I must have seen this image dozens of times, and I've never noticed the people on the building in the background before.

Either that guy in the dark green shirt has Spider-powers of his own, or he's about to take a pretty bad tumble. Maybe Reed Richards will save him?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

The spider isn't giant; it's the spider-man who's tiny.

Thanks to Pym radiation, Spider-Man got the proportionate strength of an ant-sized spider; while the regular spider got the proportionate strength of a spider-sized spider.

Doesn't Ant-Man still have the actual strength of a man-sized man?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Spider-Man left the universe in the Sunday Strip. It's just Peter now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder what that thought balloon in the first panel said originally, because that patch job is terrible.

"I hope my Spider-Man Man Costume is S in the mail!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, they just (think they) killed a superhero, one who their Boss is currently intent on destroying, and they don't even bother to go look at the body?

"Spider-Man would probably have dodged that and come in and beat seven kinds of heck out of us."

"Yeah, that's probably Nino, then. Should we go get the body?"

"Nah, he'll fall on the trash and It's garbage day. Shut the window."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I was about to say how modern this was for referencing Matt's San Fran time in Waid's run, but this is probably referencing the first time DD did that back in the 80s or something...

Actually, the 2013-ish newspaper comics being posted in the Comic Strip Thread right now just had an arc where Peter (not Spider-Man) webbed himself to the back of a truck for transportation from Vegas to San Francisco. There, Spider-Man assisted Daredevil in taking down the Kingpin. I guess Daredevil's still there.

He has subsequently gotten on a commercial flight (as Spider-Man) to fly to Costa Verde to assist the Tarantula in a revolution.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Samuringa posted:

This is great

History: Unknown
Powers: None
Relatives: John(Uncle)
Footnotes:

Uncle John has more backstory on his page, all based on what may very well be his sole appearance in the newspaper strip.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm kind of curious, now. What does the Newspaper comic do when the comic characters die? Does Harry Osborne just stop showing up in the Newspaper Comic after a while?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

"Yeah, I totally meant to do that":spidey:

Peter apparently needs to be routinely reminded to use his web-shooters when holding onto other people.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No seriously what the gently caress just happened?

I'm guessing it's a disgruntled restauranteer who has found superheroes fooling around in his dumpster for the fourth time this week, and threw a pot of old pea soup at them to run them off.

Also, what the heck, Peter. You have bullet-dodging reflexes, a precognitive danger sense, and you were looking in the direction of wherever the sploop came from. Could have at least tried to block it from splashing in your wife's face.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Mysterio 3 feet to the right.

And Elektro, right in the middle of the set.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so it was reused as a prop for a single d-movie. that's the kind of class marvella 2 needs.

About the film,

Wikipedia: Sex Kittens Go to College posted:

The film was also released in adult theaters with an additional 9-minute dream sequence added showcasing the robot, Sam Thinko, with striptease dancers.

A beatnik chimpanzee is also prominently featured in the sequence.

Seems unlikely that they'll go that route in the newspaper comic though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Shouldn't there be a corpse down there?

Perhaps his mutant powers manifested, and he's the shiny guy on the sidewalk now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Poor Rattler. So filled with self-loathing that when people ask him questions to get to know him a little he can do nothing but lash out at them.

The robot died I guess?

Withdrawal symptoms. He hasn't had a smoke since the 60's.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Could this be... the return of Lombard's Uncle John?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I was hoping Peter and Loomis could bond over shared uncle loss, but I guess that's out.

Is Lombard's Uncle John dead? I thought the first guy Lombard Stabbed was just a random asylum nurse.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cripes, Killgrave is a bush-league Loomis.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Being able to shoot webbing in order to avoid falling to death is the one thing Spider-Man is really known for. Just saying.

Based on the Killgrave storyline, he's prone to forgetting that he's wearing webshooters whenever distracted.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Maybe, just spitballing here, he should have gone to a doctor instead of running to a chemical research facility he heard about in a bar somewhere.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

And he wound up not using his other web shooter after being reminded. He switched what he was holding to the opposite hand, and used the same web-shooter he'd used less than a minute earlier.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"This NYC, if the tiger gets to me, I'll just become some supervillain or whatever. I can see myself henching for Black Cat until I get a real acting gig."

Coincidentally, the Black Cat's first appearance is also dated July, 1979.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Has Kraven the Hunter appeared in the strip before this?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I think I remember an issue during the Clone Saga when Ben Reilly was wearing the webs, and a depowered Peter was following him with a camera, and learning firsthand how ridiculously difficult it was for a baseline human to do the job he'd been pretending to do for over a decade.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I want to think that Kraven brought his tiger to Jameson's office and he had to wrestle it down to keep it from biting Betty Brant out on the newsfloor.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Dammit, Peter!

Get the check before the show. Have it made out to Cash. Deposit it in your bank account.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Okay, so that's definitely Walter Cronkite in panel 1,and I'm pretty sure that's Johnny Carson in 3. Anyone have any idea who's in Panel 4?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ikasuhito posted:

These strips are really trying to squeeze out as much as they can out of some relatively mundane heroic, aren't they?

I dunno, everything about the last two Hafisch posts makes me think it's not Spider-Man swinging in for the save.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, was harry ever the hobgoblin?

In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, yes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hey, Pete, Aren't you forgetting something?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Quick, Pete! Snag her leg with a webline! You've got to stop her fall before she hits the pavement! Only your Spider-Powers can save her!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well, it is 2015. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out the previous May, so perhaps there's a bit more awareness of Gwen Stacy amongst the strip readers than the baseline.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

MJ wishes for death.

Also, she's not around, so neither of them are protecting her right now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Lobok posted:

There's no way that suddenly appearing on the balcony or in the room doesn't scare the hell out of her.

Also, if he had the spider tracer option this whole time then why not just find her through the hotel without changing into Spider-Man!

Hell, from the previous storyline with Mysterio, we know he carries his phone when webslinging! It's 2015! Just call her!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Would that wedding ring have been visible in the black-and-white printed version of the comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

In Byrne's Spider-Man : Chapter One, the Bank Manger took the check and allowed Spidey to open an account. The manager told him that all he had to do prove his identity was to demonstrate one of his unique spider-abilities.

The Chameleon subsequently disguised himself as Spider-Man with a few gadgets to replicate the powers, and withdrew all the money.